Sarah Palin: ‘Waterboarding Is How We Baptize Terrorists’

The comment is insensitive to Christians who pay with their lives for baptism in Muslim countries.

Paula Bolyard

April 29, 2014 - 6:49 am

I’ve defended and supported Sarah Palin in the past, but she has jumped the shark this time with her comments to the National Rifle Association on Saturday. Palin told the group (at the 7:16 mark in the video) that we need to put the “fear of God” in our enemies, adding:

Oh, but you can’t offend them, can’t make them feel uncomfortable, not even a smidgen. Well, if I were in charge, they would know that waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists.

Palin doubled down on the comments in an interview with NBC News:

Would I make it again? Why wouldn’t I, yeah, absolutely. Terrorists who want to annihilate Americans, innocent Americans, our children – whatever it takes to stop them. If I were in charge, I’d be stoppin’ em.

Aside from the fact that Palin, a professing Christian, describes a sacred sacrament in the context of a practice that many consider to be torture, there is the fact that in many Muslim countries identifying with Christ in baptism can actually have deadly consequences and flippantly inserting baptism into a joke about terrorists is in poor taste.

For example, in May 2010, an Afghan TV channel broadcast footage showing alleged converts to Christianity, including scenes of baptisms. This was followed by Afghan MP Abdul Sattar Khawasi’s call in the Afghan parliament for those featured in the footage to be executed. A crackdown against Christians ensued, and around 25 converts were arrested after a group of Kabul University students shouted death threats and demanded the expulsion of foreigners accused of proselytising. There were numerous demonstrations in the wake of the TV broadcast of the baptisms in different cities throughout the country — Herat, Baghlan, Mazar-e Sharif and again in Kabul. This resulted in a Christian cleansing of sorts in Afghanistan, as hundreds of former Muslims who had converted to Christianity fled the county, including hundreds who ended up in New Delhi, India, and now live in a legal limbo, still fearing for their lives. Christianity Today reported last year:

Although the U.N.’s High Commissioner for Refugees has recognized Christians, Muslims, and Sikhs fleeing Afghanistan for India, the Indian government’s refusal to do so means that Afghan Christians cannot seek legal protection from discrimination from other religious groups. Such discrimination often arises from Afghan Muslims who have also sought refuge in India. Many Afghan Christians make a meager living as translators for Afghanis seeking medical care in India, but the language and social challenges continue.

In other words, the Christians who fled to India after their baptisms were shown on TV continue to be persecuted by Muslims in what they thought would be their country of refuge. Examples abound of Christian persecution in Muslim countries and the public act of baptism is one of the main ways converts are identified and targeted.

I’m not a bit worried about offending terrorists (in fact, I share that sentiment with Sarah Palin), however I do object to Palin’s insensitivity to the brave Christians who are willing to pay with their lives for the privilege of being recognized as Christians through the sacrament of baptism in hostile countries around the world.

I love ya’ Sarah, but this is one you should walk back.

In addition to writing for PJ Tatler and PJ Lifestyle, Paula also writes for Ohio Conservative Review, and RedState. She is co-author of a new Ebook called, Homeschooling: Fighting for My Children’s Future. She is a member of the Wayne County Executive Committee. Paula describes herself as a Christian first, conservative second, and Republican third.

WARNING: Graphic descriptions ahead - you may wish to avoid reading this post.

Any bleeding heart libs/lefties/metrosexuals/muslims/others better tuffen up ... squeamish Americans would have been USELESS on Omaha Beach, June 6th 1944

We are fighting people who BEHEAD CHRISTIAN BABIES (Syria) and who DISMEMBER TEENAGE CHRISTIAN GIRLS while STILL ALIVE (Syria) and who CHOW DOWN on newly ripped out ENEMY HEARTS (Syria)

(thanks to Obama's **moderate AL Qaeda allies **)

If your children or grandchildren were in danger of having their HEADS BLOWN OFF by these terrorist MURDERING B*STARDS then a POTUS Palin would have water dripped on their faces to TRY AND SAVE THEIR AMERICAN LIVES (and the villains know it too .... which is a HUGE DETERRENT... IOW, this Rhetoric is VITAL)

WISE UP ... Big Mama Grizzly would FIGHT LIKE HE!! FOR YOUR CUBS, and not let being PC stop her!

consider this also:

(common-sense response by Disqus ID = ccb11, to those who are critical of Sarah Palin's use of the word *baptism*)

Big Deal !! Maybe you should all be more worried about getting your head or your childrens chopped off by a terrorist instead of what Sarah Palin Said. She should be the least of your worries. Soldiers in our service to this country are being treated terribly if they are a Christian in our armed forces. Check that story out.

Go after Harry Reid for calling many times, people on the right,"Domestic Terrorists." Obama has done nothing to bring home Christians in Muslim countries that are jailed just because they are Christians. I am all for forgiving but at the same time I want my Children and Grand Children safe from these anti crazy Christian terrorists. Maybe if they all heard they were going to baptized a Christian by us they would stop their killing.

Sarah Palin would be the first person to defend your rights as a Christian. The left fears Sarah because she is not politically correct. I hate people that beat around the bush to make a point . I want to know the truth.

Some one made the comment about Sarah being a useful idiot. The only useful idiot is you if you let the loony left define and convince you that she is one.

If the left has you in a tizzy over Sarah then you have fallen for their masterful game of deceit and distraction from the important issues that they are losing on.
Yes, the drift we've seen in the media toward "unpleasant=torture" waters down the actual moral horror of true torture.
First, many do not consider it torture. A lot of people call a lot of things torture – doesn’t make it so. Some argue (quite unpersuasively) that playing loud music like the Red Hot Chili Peppers to detainees is torture, too. When that was a news item last week every anchor, late night host, and talking head made a little joke about it at the Red Hot Chili Pepper’s expenses. Are we going to scold them, too? You’re going to have to spend an enormous amount of time scolding if that’s the standard.

Second, bad stuff happens to people all over the world. Is this going to be the new norm:

JOKE: “Take my wife…please!”
HUMORLESS SCOLDING: “You know, in many Muslim countries, wives aren’t allowed to leave their homes uncovered and unaccompanied and are stoned to death for petty moral crimes…so that joke is in bad taste and I find it offense and you should walk it back.”

I’m tired of the outrageous outrage over every joke. If this is the new standard, every joke will then be too offensive because somewhere in the world something bad is happening to someone. It’s not like Christians don’t have bigger offenses than Palin’s little joke to worry about…
This is aolitically cor4ect stretch beyond imagination. Paula seems to be looking for a way to silence dissent to islamic jihad. Why? Euphemism is but a form of deception. Watering down the Truth is lying. A liar is a liar and should be so designated. A traitor is a traitor and should be so dealt with. Pretending bad Guys are really Good Guys is vile, abominable, and aids and abets evildoing.
Baptism is immersion; waterboarding is not. Palin's ignorance is attributable to the fact that she is an uneducated, crude, nulgar, alaskan housewife with an acutely dysfunctional family. But she is right in threatening the use of overwhelming force to uphold our sovereignty and protect our freedoms. Obama is deliberately weakening our military so he can surrender us to some globalist conspiracy; perhaps his moslem pals. He is deliberately trying to bankrupt us because he hates America . He violates our Constitution daily, in collusion with both the Court and the Congress. We must find a legal and moral way to turn them all out and to reform our electorate so that only responsible, intelligent, informed, productive citizens can vote. And all voting must be in person, with proper identification, with draconian punishment for voter fraud. Palin is correct: if we don't get tough we're going to get smunchipated.
Paula, by now you know where I stand, I think. When I first read this column, I agreed with you. However, after reading the many comments and thinking about it for a day or so, I have changed my mind.

I love ya’ Paula, but this is one you should walk back.

Mark v, I always appreciate your comments and value your opinion. I guess I just come at this from a different angle than many of the commenters here. Again, I have no problem with waterboarding terrorists. Bring 'em to my house and I will do it personally. I have met (and tried to help) Christians from Muslim countries for whom baptism can be a real death sentence. I have friends who are missionaries who deal with new converts who make life or death decisions about whether to publicly identify with Christ in baptism. They would never use the word baptism as a throwaway laugh line.

In addition, I think it is unhelpful (and even harmful) to missionaries who are trying to overcome belief in Islam, a system that entangles religion and violence. Christianity is something completely different and we need to be careful not to harm our witness in these countries by muddying those waters. Palin's words will surely be broadcast in those countries, and not in a way that helps to further the gospel.

Ultimately, it is the gospel that will overcome radical Islam. Of course, we should have a strong military response to terrorism and do everything we can to protect our country. But in the end, nothing will really change over there unless God changes the hearts and minds of the people in those countries (see: all of history).
I have been a born again Christian for over 35 years, and I am not in the least bit offended in Sarah Palin's use of the term 'baptism'. If anything, I am appalled with any professed “unapologetic Christian and Constitutional conservative” who buys into the political correctness garbage used daily by leftists, propaganda media and Muslim sympathizers on anyone who dares to speak out.
God will not be sending Mrs. Palin to hell for using the term baptism in the manner that she did, but I would be more concerned about where God would send a professed Christian who does injury to a True Christian. Jesus called them vipers.
Study Lk.10.25-28 and pair it with IJn.5.3 and Heb.5.9. We must love and obey God to be saved, And we must love all men to be saved. Thr form that love takes is dictated by the circumstances; but our motive must be Love; ie, concern for the welfare of the one loved. That includes spiritual as well as physical welfare. Sometimes we are forced to love one person more than another. Will you allow your spouse to be murdered or will you shoot his/her attacker? Mt.7.21 tells us allout the "value" of professing christianity;cf IJn.2.17.These facts have been around for 2.000 years and denominationalism has yet to comprehend them.
Thanks Ms. Bolyard. Sarah Palin's comments are designed to make Sarah Palin money by appealing to a narrow slice of the electorate. She does Conservatism no good, probably works against the movement by saying stupid things.
In all probability, unconsciously but the author is justifying appeasement by calling it insensitivity. Whenever the justification for not acting against one's enemies is that it will result in more of the innocent suffering, the inner motivation is appeasement.

Destroying evil comes at a cost, innocents suffer for that is the nature of evil. Delay and 'moderation' in response to evil is a formula for extending and increasing suffering.
Crooks and Marxists have taken over our government and we are wasting concern on this?
Hey Bolyard. If you can't see a wisecrack loaded with bravado for what it is, you can't be helped. A sense of gallows humor, of developing a taste for the distasteful is a big part of what being an adult conservative is all about. If you can't do that, I am certain that somewhere there is an elementary school sand box in need of policing.
I agree, this comment doesn't make sense.

We can see what she was trying to say, more or less, but this wasn't the way to say it.

It's the first time in several years I've heard Palin misfire this badly.
You don't win against terrorist by being nice to them!
Sarah is RIGHT!
Wintermute is right about "the outrageous outrage over every joke"
There is no need to out P.C. the Left, I like her comment, and will be using it from now on!
Onward Christian Soldiers!