All 8 of Wes Anderson’s Films Ranked From Worst to Best

How does The Grand Budapest Hotel compare with the auteur’s other works?

Kyle Smith

March 7, 2014 - 8:00 am

Wes Anderson’s eighth film, a screwball comedy based in 1930s central Europe called The Grand Budapest Hotel, has hit theaters. How does it stack up against the Texas-born auteur’s other works? Here’s a ranking of all of his movies.

8. The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

A character study of three feuding brothers (Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman) meeting up on a train in India to reconnect after their father’s death, this lackluster, aimless film made little narrative use of its exotic and colorful setting. Though less obviously art-directed than most of Anderson’s other films — location shooting in teeming cities made it impossible for him to control every millimeter of the frame the way he normally does — it’s Anderson’s least funny film and it also suffered from a lack of much of a message. When the brothers finally and climactically meet their mother (Anjelica Houston), who is living as a nun in the mountains, not much happens.

Respectfully disagree. I liked "The Royal Tenenbaums" at first blush but find that it has become progressivley more annoying the more times I see it. Let's face it - All of the characters in it (with the exception of Danny Glover's kindly accountant) are just awful. "The Life Aquatic" was such a crushing disappointment I still wonder how it got made. The best word to describe Anderson's work is "twee" - Something that is "nauseatingly cute and precious." The guy is unquestionably talented but his work hasn't grown or evolved the way as, say, Alexander Payne's has. I haven't seen "Moonrise Kingdom" but my expectations aren't very high.
Anderson is about to the manor born types. Other people go through titanic struggles to escape bad neighborhoods or get that first step on the ladder job or to have a child and then the child dies. In Anderson world there is no struggle and no heartbreak. All is given. Worse, all that has been given is taken for granted. Are there such people and such worlds? Yes. But they are unendurable to the rest of us. And not only because of jealousy. They are unendurable because they are an insult. To life itself.
Good grief. Bottle rocket was fun. Rushmore had moments. Aquatic was icky. The "genius" Royal Tenenbaums was so relentlessly dumb I quit watching it. The previews for the ones unseen are unappealing at best.

I've grown estranged from this director for irreconcilable creative differences.
Bottle Rocket -- the only unaffected and heartfelt story of the lot. It was all downhill from there.
The only movie by this guy I ever tried watching was Life Aquatic. My attempt ended in failure.
Sadly, I’ve come to dislike Wes Anderson’s movies in total. I used to like a few of them, but the sum of his aggressive whimsy and forced, Wes-Anderson-stylistic elements have just exhausted me. Except for Fantastic Mr. Fox, which is likely spared because it is animated, I find all of his films unwatchable now. This includes films that I used to like (e.g., Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums). Now, all I notice is the distracting Wes Anderson artifice.
It’s not that he makes bad films (although, The Darjeeling Limited was dreadful). It’s that I can no longer not notice Wes Anderson in every scene of every film. That said, this list is pretty spot on in its ordering...