4 Surprises from the Academy Awards

Sometimes Oscar night can give you a few unforgettable moments.

Chris Queen

March 4, 2014 - 7:00 am

oscars2014host

As long as I can remember, I’ve been a sucker for the big awards shows: the Oscars, the Grammys, and the Emmys. Even when I haven’t seen the movies or shows or listened to the albums and songs receiving awards, I still find myself fascinated by the peculiar celebratory atmosphere of awards night. While I’ve lamented in the past that the awards shows – particularly the Grammys – lack the dignity they once possessed, I can usually count on the Oscars to capture the glamor of old Hollywood. I have to admit: I don’t care about what people are wearing or about who wins — I just enjoy the competition and the tradition that has carried on for 86 years.

Sunday’s Academy Awards ceremony was no exception. The film industry turned out in all its finery to honor the best of 2013. The show provided moments both wacky and touching, and the telecast included plenty of high and low points. From host Ellen DeGeneres’ celebrity pizza order (complete with $1,000 tip), to John Travolta’s mangling of Idina Menzel’s name, to Pink’s powerful rendition of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow,” the Oscars didn’t disappoint (unless you’re a fan of Saving Mr. Banks, in which case the nominations disappointed). I walked away from the 86th annual Academy Awards with a few surprising observations. Allow me to share them with you.

til I saw the draft ov $7417 , I did not believe that...my... neighbours mother was actualy taking home money part-time at there computar. . there sisters neighbour started doing this 4 only 13 months and as of now cleared the loans on their house and purchased a gorgeous BMW M3 . see post >>>> www.work71.com
What is wrong with people.

Kim Novak is 81 years old it is her face and she can do what she wants with it. Show some respect.
As long as they keep making anti-American movies and then nominating them for prizes, I will not only not watch the movies, but will also avoid the prize awards shows. However, I will marvel at the pretty dresses and wonder how many of them were ruined when God chose to rain on the red carpet parade.
Norman Mailer once said of acting, meant to insult some actor with whom he was feuding: "It's not a very manly profession". I can never get that out of my mind when I watch these award shows.

I agree the Oscars are fun to watch. In fact I could watch Sandra Bullock a long, long time without boredom.

But Hollywood is fundamentally about make-believe, something conservatives struggle against in the political realm. True to their roots in a fantasy land, an overwhelming number of the Hollywood crowd are liberals, which creates a gap between them and us that is difficult to ignore. Only occasionally, such as during WWII, are they brought back to earth enough to relate.
So that's what the ribbons were for.

In full agreement about cosmetic surgery.