3 Lost World Discoveries

Spark your children's imagination with these newly revealed pieces of Planet Earth.

Bonnie Ramthun

March 2, 2014 - 10:00 am

I keep an eye out for new discoveries that I can share with my kids around the breakfast table. I’m sorry that the current public school curriculum focuses almost exclusively on the negative aspects of humanity. History and English classes are dominated by subjects like overpopulation, pollution, poverty, and victims of oppression and war. Each day my children get a full helping of depressing and pessimistic education from their teachers.

To fight back, I try to find interesting stories that show the amazing complexity and beauty of our world, and the scientists and adventurers who are still exploring it. Here are three news items that made my kid’s eyes light up. Mine, too!

1.) The Pallas Cat of Nepal.

549079_675058045888209_1936818032_n

The pallas cat is a brand new species, unknown until a year ago. This beautiful feline is slightly bigger than a housecat and lives in the mountains of Nepal in Asia. The discovery was made by the Snow Leopard Conservancy researchers who had placed trail cameras to find leopards and instead found an entirely new species. The secretive little cat is known now, and will be protected. And no, you can’t have one as a pet. But aren’t they just gorgeous?

I want teh kitteh.
Wow, this is pretty cool. I mean, I knew that Nepal, the Amazon rainforest, and Mozambique existed, but beyond learning their location on a map for high school it essentially didn't exist to me. But after reading your article (and then reading a few more sources online), I now have the desire to travel to these places.
Er, Pallas' cat was first described in the late 18th century. (Pallas, P. S. (1811). Felis Manul. In: Zoographia Rosso-Asiatica, sistens omnium Animalium in extenso Imperio Rossico et adjacentibus maribus observatorum recensionem, domicillia, mores et descriptiones, anatomen atque icones plurimorum. Petropoli, in officina Caes. Acadamiae scientiarum. Vol. 1 : 20–23.)
You are right. The Pallas cat was unknown to exist in Nepal, not entirely unknown. I stand corrected. Thanks.
Dear God. An author who gracefully admits a mistake. I bow in awe.
They aren't lost world cuz back packers are probably on them daily, but check out 3 amazing volcanic calderas only about 350 kilometers apart as the crow flies on 3 different islands that are still rather something of a secret. Java, Bali and Lombok have Bromo, Batur and Rinjani Calderas, with active volcanoes at the center.

I've walked completely around the interior rim of Bromo, slept on Batur Volcano in the center and Mount Abang on the rim, and slept on the rim of Rinjani. Some of the most amazing landscapes in the world.