‘The Way God Intended It’

The fetishization of "natural."

Hannah Sternberg

January 29, 2014 - 7:15 am
Union Station

I was standing, sleepily, at the counter of a coffeeshop in Union Station, waiting for the barista to remember I’d ordered a drink, when I overheard the woman behind me order hers:

“I’ll have a small latte.”

“What kind of milk?”

“Whole milk.” Pause. Muttered, half to herself: “The way God intended it.”

Maybe I was just cranky — it was my first day heading back to the office after a week out with the flu — but I had to fight the urge to say to her, “Just like God intended that sheep’s wool to be spun, woven, and dyed into your pretty pink plaid coat?”

I had little doubt it was a real wool coat. She looked like someone who would curl her lip at the thought of synthetic fabric touching her skin.

My neighbor eats poke salad greens, but definitely NOT the way God made them. They are deadly (no antidote) if the water from the first boil is not poured off. Part of being in the image and likeness of God is using our brains to share in His creativity.
Is Man not "natural"? How so? Do we not come from nature? I never could understand this distinction.
Maybe she's just sick of being guilt-pressured into skim-this and soy-that and vegetarian-pride. Maybe she just wanted the tasty whole fat animal product for once. And her comment was a little sotto voce outburst in that regard. That's how it struck me before I read your commentary.
Vaguely related: my favorite web-advertising scam flags:
"Weird new trick using clinically-proven all-natural ingredients that, if you obey this rule, will melt off belly fat and Big Corporations hate it!"
Also anything about the five (foods, exercises) that will (kill you, prolong your life, fight Alzheimer's).
Don't forget "My step-sister's half-brother's mother-in-law makes..."
Just say:

"God made All and then He removed Himself, and left it to us. IF you don't like it, there are many ears that may listen to you".......

Then go mutter under your breath a second, and understatedly emphatic..... 'may'....'>.....
You should have asked that woman about her coffee. Brewed coffee does not exist in nature at all. The entire process of picking coffee beans, drying them, roasting them, grinding them, and using them to brew drinks like "latte" is inherently unnatural from beginning to end.
And then there's the fact that coffee "beans" are berries.
What that woman was really saying is: "I'm a young calf drinking what God intended me to drink." Cow milk is produced by cows to feed their offspring. It takes all sorts of human interference with this process to get whole milk from the cow to the coffee shop.
If God made man, then anything man does to improve his life could be said to be "the way God intended it". Otherwise, why instill man with free will, ingenuity, and opposable thumbs?

When we speak of "natural foods", what do we mean? Are we upset that a human being altered the genetic structure of a tomato so it's more resistant to disease? Would you prefer to eat diseased tomatoes? Would you prefer tomatoes to be less plentiful due to their susceptibility? Does the tampering matter, if all man does is reorganize the genetic material that's already present?

It's not as if scientists inject tomatoes with arsenic. People who complain about genetically enhanced food, or "processed food" don't know very much about food, genetics, chemistry, or much else beyond what Honey Boo Boo did last night.
"It's not as if scientists inject tomatoes with arsenic."
Well, I wish you'd told me that before I went out to my garden...