Ted Nugent Did What?

Sure, he called Obama "subhuman," but am I the only one who knew nothing about Ted Nugent's relationship with a 17-year-old girl when he was 30?

Kathy Shaidle

January 23, 2014 - 3:00 pm

ted-nugent-ap

No, it isn’t “Bash Old Rockers” week at PJMedia.

But we need to talk about “Uncle Ted.”

This isn’t even about his headline-making rant at the Vegas Shot Show, in which he called President Obama a “subhuman mongrel.”

Ted Nugent doesn’t need puny little Canadian me to “defend” his legal right to use that expression, even though I believe we should keep the adjective “subhuman” chambered until someone more like Dr. Mengele is in our sights.

Rather, I’ve been thinking about Nugent all week after reading a searing takedown of Woody Allen and his Hollywood sycophants by Gavin McInnes. (EXTREME language warning.)

McInnes has children; I do not — hence the “EXTREME language warning,” probably. That is: This difference likely colors my feelings about Allen, which remain frustratingly ambiguous and were better reflect by this piece in, yes, The Onion.

That’s because Woody Allen, like the Monty Python gang, were a gargantuan part of my often otherwise unpleasant childhood.

Allen’s impact was deeper, though, because his movies gave me a glimpse into another possible world, in which intelligent, creative people enjoyed deep yet witty conversations in gorgeous urban environs.

The scene in Annie Hall, in which Allen’s character travels back in time to his public school, surveys his unpromising looking classmates and declares, “Even then, I knew they were just jerks” literally changed my life.

I don’t remember my first kiss, but can easily recall that moment in the darkened downtown movie theater around my 13th birthday. I finally felt… understood.

An orphaned duckling imprints on the first creature it sees, however ridiculous its cloying affection for that indifferent St. Bernard looks to us.

And as far as I know, that imprinting can’t be reversed.

I could probably rewire my brain to hate Woody Allen, or any of the other dubious individuals who “imprinted” themselves on my impressionable young mind.

The thing is: I’m not sure I feel like bothering.

Not really a fan of Nugent as there are plenty of issues and attitudes I've seen in him that leave me uncomfortable.

However, this ain't one of them as I'm not seeing where Nugent broke any laws or violated anyone's free will.

As others have commented, the age of consent in most areas appears to be 16 years of age which means she had the legal authority on her own to have intimate relations with him.

If he was married at the time, then it certainly was morally wrong - unless the relationship took place in some weird parallel universe and his wife of the time was agreeable to the dalliance.

Now, if you set aside the question as to whether he was married at the time or not, and since it's settled that the 17 year old did have the legal right to sleep with whoever she wanted to - what you are left with is the age discrepancy.

My dad is a full decade older than my mom, and she was in her teens when they met and married. Over half a century later, four grown children, numerous grandchildren and even great-grandchildren - they are still happily married.

By modern standards they'd probably be looked down upon - yet their marriage clearly worked and it's been a positive force in their lives so how can that be described as a bad thing?

I'd say their age difference is probably not too far from what is being discussed here now.

Older men and younger wives are not an aberration, historically speaking - so it appears more a matter of how MUCH of an age difference is socially acceptable and when it becomes socially uncomfortable.

Anna Nicole Smith's marriage definitely ranks up there with the "ick" factor - but it was between consenting adults so it was nobody's business but theirs.

Where, precisely, should the line be drawn?

The only 'rule' I've ever come across was a math calculation wherein you took the older partner's age, divided it by 2 and then added 7 years. That supposedly was the minimum age that guy should be involved with.

Not sure what it was based upon, but it does seem to have a certain logic to it. Using that calculation, two people could be far apart in chronological age but still be close enough in life experiences to have a enough in common to make a relationship work.

(show less)
17 is under the age of adulthood for most purposes, including marriage, and usually means the young person has to have an adult guardian. It's over the age of sexual consent in every state I'm aware of. A 17-year-old is in a transition between childhood and adulthood. It's hardly surprising that a 30-year-old would be attracted to a 17-year-old and, having the influence and the resources, might work out an arrangement with her. A little creepy to some, okay to others -- I'd be in the slightly-creepy-but-their-business group.
So far:

Lots of "but's", a smattering of kitchen table libel law from non-lawyers, a lot of girlish hysteria.

If the elderly bearded host of a TV show called "Muslim Dynasty" said 15 year old girls should be encouraged to marry, the average conservative response would be...?
Saying a girl must not get married at 17 or 18 is the same as saying a girl must get married at 17 or 18.

15 is a little early for me but I suspect that is a married of culture. I think my grandmother got married at 16. I suspect I have great grandmothers who got married at 15.

The issue is not early marriage but treating women as human beings and equal individuals with equal rights.
It would be "what is the age of consent"? 15 isn't legal in most places, and even where it is it requires parental permission.
Thank you for posting this column.
I knew nothing of all that.
Very very sad.

And? The age of consent in hawaii is 16. Nugent may be a little skeevy but he didn't break any law I know of.
Nobody's a bigger fan of Ted Nugent than Ted Nugent.
So everyone's cool with this?

“More than 140 million girls over the next decade will be married before they turn 18. And what is to stop this from happening? It has broad sanction in Islam, as few things are more abundantly attested in Islamic law than the permissibility of child marriage."

Again, just asking.
The age of consent in Canada is 16. Do you have a problem with that?
“More than 140 million girls over the next decade will be married before they turn 18.”

Well, yeah. What’ the matter with 17 years, 355 days-old women marrying? Six-year-olds, no. 18 years - one day, yes.

"You learn that a very famous, very outspoken leftwing showbiz type once convinced the parents of 17 year old to let him "adopt" her so they can have sex”

Undoubtedly wrong. I can’t name the several celebrities that did this (I don’t want be be banned or sued), but… wrong all the same.

“Touched a nerve, I see”

Oh, where?

“The swaggering macho hostility and blind loyalty in these comments helps make my point. “

Ignoring the use of ‘macho’ as a negative, about the same n* or f*, I don’t think any conclusion can be drawn from 9—yeah count ‘em—9 comments. (At least when I read this post.)
Touched a nerve, I see.

You're all parsing this Talmudically, just as I said we/I did.

Thanks!

Scenario:

You learn that a very famous, very outspoken leftwing showbiz type once convinced the parents of 17 year old to let him "adopt" her so they can have sex. He was 30 at the time.

Maybe some influential overweight filmmaker prone to exaggeration, or the British born host of a cable news talk show. Both widely despised on the 'right."

Your reaction as a conservative is "How dare you bring that up? That's not even a little bit odd. AND at least he's not as bad as so-and-so! Leave him alone!"

Yep. I can TOTALLY see that.

You/we'd use it for all it was worth.

If a 30 year old man approached you with a similar offer for your 17-year-old daughter, you'd be totally cool with that too?

Just asking.
It's pretty hard to give a definitive defense about the Nuge without knowing the specifics and how reliable they are.

But let's take your claim at face value: At the age of 30 he began a sexual relationship with a 17 year old under the guise of being her legal guardian. Was he love with her and did he intend to marry her? Was he married at the time? If this happened in 1978, yes and this might explain the fiction of the guardianship as he couldn't marry the 17 year old as would have been allowed by law.

I'm I defending this? No. I believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman for life. Nugent has had two wives and has eight children five of whom were born out of wedlock. I believe he has also admitted to causing four abortions. His lifestyle was very wrong and he caused a lot of harm.

OTOH, he has appeared to have admitted this and has appeared to have changed his ways. I accept that.

And what he is accused of doing does not even approach the mind-blowing vileness of kidnapping a 14-year-old and using her as a sex toy for several years, or drugging a 14-year-old for use as a sex toy, or molesting one's prepubescent adopted daughter.

This is a post looking for relevancy, and not finding it.
What are you alleging? Thirteen years is too great a gap? Same sex is okay, however.
My mom was married at fifteen and is still married to my dad fifty-five years later. PJmedia must be horribly starved for content to post the electronic abortions you regularly produce.
1 2 Next View All