Why So Courteous?

Might helping others be selfish?

Walter Hudson

December 10, 2013 - 10:00 am

Why So Courteous

This will come across sanctimonious, like I’m trying to flaunt how good of a person I am. So let me start by offering the assurance that I prove no more courteous than anyone else, and may even be a bit below average. I use an example of my own courtesy because I remain well-informed as to its motivation.

I went to the gas station the other day to pick up a couple of snacks which I should not be eating. I was in no hurry. It was one of those meandering stops where you spend more time than you really need applying more thought than is rationally due to whether you should experiment with a new flavor of Combos.

When I finally completed my selection, I made my way to the register, where I stood in line behind one other person. A women rushed in from the arctic weather (uncharacteristically cold for this time of year, even in Minnesota) clasping onto a ten dollar bill and signaling without any sense of entitlement that she was in a hurry.

I stood next to be served and could have taken that privilege without objection. But I made the decision to yield my place in line to her. She paid her ten dollars for pump four and went on her way, delaying me mere seconds as opposed to the minute or so I may have delayed her.

As I left, seven layer dip tortilla Combos in hand, I pondered why I had stepped aside. Here I am, an admirer of Ayn Rand, an advocate of individual rights, frequently evoking rational self-interest in my analysis of politics and culture. Was my tiny act of courtesy a violation of that principle? Did I fail to act in my own rational self-interest by allowing a stranger to take my place in line? Did I sacrifice something of value for something of lesser or no value?

I simply got paid $9000 operating off my laptop computer this month. And if you're thinking that it is cool, and you also want to earn money then you are on the right way just go to this site for amazing details..........> W­W­W.b­l­u­e­4­8­.C­­­O­­­­­­M
my friend's sister-in-law makes $60 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for ten months but last month her check was $13733 just working on the computer for a few hours. . .......:> =============== http://xurl.es/svps9 ====================
my father in law recently got an almost new red Toyota Avalon Hybrid only from part-time off a computer... Visit Website >>>>> http://ow.ly/qjkbU
❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥
My roomate's sister makes $80/hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 6 months but last month her check was $14661 just working on the internet for a few hours. see>>>>> WWW.JOBS37.COM
❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥
til I looked at the receipt saying $6151, I be certain that...my... sister had been actualey earning money part-time on their apple labtop.. there great aunt has done this 4 only twenty months and recently cleared the mortgage on there cottage and got themselves a Ford. hop over to this web-site http://qy.fi/lI8b
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do>>>>>>>>>>>> www.jobs35.com
My neighbor's step-aunt makes $89 every hour on the internet. She has been without a job for 10 months but last month her pay was $12291 just working on the internet for a few hours. see...>>>...>>> WWW.JOBS37.COM
Amazing. All that effort to explain away the law of God written on your heart.
▲▬▆ ▆▬▆■▉▬▉▉▉I’m making $4 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now.I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss.go to this site home tab for more detai.... ►●►●►●►▶ http://www.jobs53.com
Everything any of us do is motivated by self-interest. It matters not if someone shares your values..... if you "help" them, it is primarily because doing so will make you feel good or provide some other reward to YOU.

We are a pretty simple species. Try to know thyself and exploit who you truly are in pursuit of the one thing that matters most to a civil society.....freedom.

It has been said that a truly good deed is one done when no one is looking. For believers, what moment is that?
For believers, it's every moment of every day.
So there is never a moment when no one is looking.....that's my point.

Know thyself!
What point are you trying to make? You seem to be obfuscating for the sake of obfuscation. Do you want me to say that I try to live my life as though Jesus Christ is my constant companion, then, yes, someone is always looking, Christ sees and understands. He is my companion and His love is everlasting.
I mean no disrespect. I'm along for this wild and crazy ride, too.

My point is simply that we are a creature that cannot possibly do anything for selfless reasons. The man who runs int the burning building
1 2 3 Next View All