So What’s Your Problem? Why Aren’t You a Republican Yet?

Remember, Ronald Reagan was originally a New Deal Democrat.

Dave Swindle

November 10, 2013 - 2:00 pm

dumbo-17

See the previous installments in this ongoing discussion about American values, Left vs. Right, Biblical morality, and New Media activism:

By Michael Lumish on October 13: Politics Vs Theology: Beginning A Debate With David Swindle. “Why we should not frame political issues as a matter of Good versus Evil.”

By David Swindle on October 20: Secular Political Ideology Vs. Biblical Moral Values: Continuing a Debate with Michael Lumish. “Why I don’t care much about Left vs. Right anymore. And four more points of disagreement.”

By Michael Lumish on October 27: Debating America’s Ideological Origins: Part III in Lumish Vs Swindle. “A disagreement about the founding fathers and classical liberalism.”

By David Swindle on November 3: What To Do When Progressives and Conservatives Can’t Communicate: Part IV of Lumish Vs Swindle. ”Set the straw men on fire.”

By Michael Lumish today, November 10: Why I am Disgusted and Horrified. “We have a President who embraces the Muslim Brotherhood. Part V in Lumish Vs Swindle.”

Dear Michael,

This dialogue appears to be moving in an unexpected but very welcome direction: you recognizing the errors of your positions and coming to adopt mine instead. Here you agree with me that we need to speak more broadly beyond just our own cultural communities:

My intention, you should know, was never to speak strictly to Jewish people and I very much regret giving you that impression.

And in your encouraging conclusion you state clearly your opposition to both the party and ideology to which you’ve dedicated your life:

What I want, and I hope that you will help me, is simply to alert other American liberals that we need not be enslaved to the Democratic Party and the Progressive-Left movement and that if we wish to promote social justice then we must oppose political Islam.

Where you don’t seem to go far enough yet is in acknowledging what “social justice” actually is and from where it emerged. Among the reasons why you’re so doomed in your efforts to push so-called liberals and activist Democrats to fight for “social justice” in the Muslim world is that the value you are trumpeting is not essential to either ideology or party. “Social justice” is a Jewish concept — tikkun olam, which translated from Hebrew means “to heal the world.” This is not an inherently political idea and its perversion and secularization is mostly a recent development. One can — and should — pursue the biblical concept of healing the world apart from political engagement.

But our political activism can still be motivated by our religious values and we can still use a party to do God’s work. I explained how in the previous installments of this dialogue. I believe the most important thing God wants us to do on this earth is what he called Moses to do — liberate enslaved people. And that’s been the Republican Party’s charge since its founding. Politics is just a means to an end. The ballot box is a hammer to smash chains. My favorite all-American motto, again, and its biblical depiction:

I find it rather amusing that you believe Mike Lumish is a progressive or that other hated word of the right a liberal. He isn't. He's far from it. Dr. Lumish is at best a conservative in denial of his true beliefs.

He's also along with his cohorts at Israel Thrives a racist. A person who truly believes that those who are muslims and that is all muslims hate Jews and want to wipe them from the face of the earth.

Dr. Lumish lives in a myopic world of hate. So, please don't confuse him with an ideology he has no relationship to. That being a progressive.
"Dr. Lumish is at best a conservative in denial of his true beliefs."
We'll see.
Around the time that I turned 25, I finally realized that "social justice" wasn't really "justice" - only another form of tyranny. So I became a card carrying Republican. I worshiped Reagan and, after presidents like Johnson and Carter, finally believed that the country was on the absolute right track. Since then, I've mostly voted "against" Democrats and held my nose while checking the box beside candidates who were insiders and losers from the get-go. When I reached 60 years old, I finally realized that the Republicans, while different from Democrats, have their OWN brand of tyranny. This was brought home in the last two conventions by changing the rules on the fly to purposely crush Ron Paul. This was the final straw for me. I have resigned from the Republican party and I will not vote for another loser simply because the party tells me that if I don't its a vote for the Democrats. Not any more.
Worshiping politicians -- even great ones likes Reagan -- was your first mistake.
Ronald Reagan, who he?

The people who today "front" as Republicans make for caution in "signing up" into their club. .

John Boehner, "representing" those who elected him as their Spokesperson in the House to beard the beast Obama seems to be "republican" only because the seats on the gravy train of government are already taken or reserved.

For people who make no secret of their intent to destroy, in the words of their standard bearer "Fundamentally Transform" the enterprise formerly known as the Constitutional REPUBLIC of the United States.

People who cloak their destructive aims and control freakery as "caring, compassionate liberalism" AKA "democrats".

Such "republicans" as Boehner, Karl Rove and their like, jealous of their own status, place and perks in the Party and the government turn on any person who is determinedly "Republican". Not some warmed over and tired, way past its sell-by date liberal "compassion" or whatever they're calling it now. People who front as Repulicans but REFUSE to hand the baton on to people fresher, more aware of the world as she is now. Who refuse to step aside and cede the stage to those who know and accept what it means to Be A Republican.
I respect and understand your sticking by/ with the GOP.

For being on the ground floor of a movement or perhaps foreseen HOPEFUL GOP-led movement to their originally intended party's message.

Admittedly I am and have been jaded by the GOP.

For me the GOP's actions, sound bites by supposed GOP 'voices of reason' are anything but.

Whereas their sickeningly championing the 'crossing the aisle' message insultingly resembles surrender. In essence COUNTER to their party's message, endgame and continued success for our nation..

The GOP 'left me' and their party's platform/ ideals not the other way.
Dear Mr. Swindle:

I don't know if you noticed but the 'Pubbie Establishment (GOP-E) is attacking Conservatives and Tea Partiers with even more enthusiasm than the Democrats.
Who specifically did you have in mind?
Well, Romney had no use for the Tea Partiers. And McCain calls them whack birds. Boehner stripped many of them of their committee seats. McConnell has disparaged them a few times, too. These are the biggest names in the GOP, and they do not like the Tea Party crowd. Oh, they liked recapturing the House well enough, because of those whacko birds, but they loathe the tea Partiers and their politics. This is inarguable.
Dear Mr. Swindle: My alternative headline was not directed at you personally, but at the entire membership of the Republican party. Watching their performance over the last five years should give anyone pause about remaining in their party. I like the so-called "young guns" of the tea party persuasion and would gladly join them if they got serious about themselves as a national party. However, I have no more faith in Republicans than I do Democrats now. I'll stay an independent until someone gets the courage to give us a real Tea Party.
I'm not asking you to have faith in Republicans. I'm asking you to have faith in the ideal that the Republican Party was originally founded on: fighting slavery. A political party is just a means to an end -- and as both Buckley/Reagan and the Alinskyite Obamians demonstrated it is easier and more practical to take control of an existing political party than to start from scratch. The GOP might go the way of the Whigs, but if a Tea Party party type party does emerge then it will be the same way that the GOP emerged out of the ashes of the Whigs.
A better question is "So what's your problem? Why are you STILL a Republican?"
I gave my reasons in the post. Has something changed in the year since I first wrote my explanation that would prompt me to quit being a Republican?