At Least We Don’t Have Marauding Hippos in the Streets of America

A reminder to be grateful for the incredible blessings of living in this country.

Paula Bolyard

November 3, 2013 - 2:00 pm

dangerous animal attacks news bush meet dangerous forests dangerous African wild animal attacks amazing animal picture hippo-chase-pic-charles-hotham (1)

Last week, a dear lady at our church who ministers to widows in Kenya shared a prayer request during our church’s prayer meeting:

A dear pastor who interpreted for us earlier this year in Kenya, was killed by a hippo a few days ago. He left a widow, Mary, with six children.

My first thought was, “What a terrible way to die.” Smithsonian says that male hippos can weigh up to 6000 lbs. and they “have trampled or gored people who strayed too near, dragged them into lakes, tipped over their boats, and bitten off their heads.” Hippos likely “kill more people each year than lions, elephants, leopards, buffaloes and rhinos combined,” according to Smithsonian. They can bite your head off?? Apparently, despite their adorable ears and cute backsides, hippos are aggressive, nasty animals. Death by hippopotamus is not the way I want to exit this world.

My second thought when I heard this story was that I’m grateful to live in a country where we don’t have hippos charging up out of lakes to kill people. I know this may sound silly, but as I’ve been thinking about this, I’ve been filled with an incredible sense of gratitude to live in a country that is exponentially better than Kenya in so many ways. Aside from the marauding hippo problem, the life expectancy there is only 50 years of age. Forty percent of Kenyans die from HIV, TB, or malaria, all preventable diseases. A full 34% die of other communicable diseases. While we are debating Obamacare and screaming about a website that doesn’t work here in the United States, Kenyans are still trying to eradicate tuberculosis and malaria. It’s something we need to keep in perspective.

I don't think a marauding hippo would last very long in the US. Someone would pull out a deer rifle and plug it a few time. Eventually it would figure out it was dead.

In fact marauding anythings don't really last that long in the US, unless they are in a "victim disarmament" area.
No, you don't have hippos rampaging in the streets. But you do have mobs of um, Scandinavians, brawling, rioting and bashing white folks in your major cities.
At Least We Don’t Have Marauding Hippos in the Streets of America

Because you have to drive to Walmart.
I wonder what happened to that guy in the photo.
Holy cow! At first glance I thought it said "marauding hippies"
What we have are marauding bands of unemployed Democratic voters who do much more damage than hippos.To judge by the similarities of downtown Detroit to London and Warsaw circa 1944, they are more in the class of the Luftwaffe
At Least We Don’t Have Marauding Hippos in the Streets of America

Obviously you've never been to a demonstration involving fembots. I'd prefer rampaging hippos - not there's physically much difference for many of 'em.

Indeed you don't. You don't have any stampeding bison in most places, either. Nor do you have any passenger pigeons making a nasty mess on your cars. There aren't too many Indians on the warpath, either.

I confess that I might be wrong here - but AFAIK hippos are one of the most difficult things to shoot. Although their skin is quite soft, it's also extremely thick. I suspect that a "deer rifle" wouldn't do much except annoy one, unless you were lucky with shot placement. Since the vast majority of American gun owners can't be bothered to learn how to use them properly...
"Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood."
THE HIPPO SONG
The English, besides being Arabists, are pro Hippo.
"And the Lord said to Moses, 'How long will this people despise me? And how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs that I have done among them?'"

Isn't this God complaining?
Hippos, no. RINOs, on the other hand....
Yeah, America's a regular paradise. Unless...unless you're a poor white who can't escape from a "vibrant" neighborhood. But of course all "nice" people have learned not to talk about that. Hell, they've even learned not to think about that. Makes the lie go down so much smoother.
Raccoons knock over my garbage can. My neighbors dog barks at cats. My life is not so easy.
1 2 Next View All