Debate: Death to the New Deal! Screw Social Security!

Dave Swindle

October 31, 2013 - 3:30 pm

Dear Ron,

I thought it fitting to select Halloween as the day for a brief entry into the debate about whether conservatives should surrender and just accept the permanence of the Democrats’ unconstitutional welfare state. I have three points for your consideration.

1. The Welfare State Is a Zombie and It Can Be Killed.

My position is straightforward: I’m with Andy 100% and believe that conservatives must work over the coming decades to disassemble the federal government’s unconstitutional welfare state. This is an entirely reasonable, achievable goal. See James C. Bennett and Michael Lotus’s America 3.0 for the blueprint. They call the shrinking of the federal government and rebalancing of powers between the states “the big haircut.” See my review from a few weeks ago: On 9/11 and Benghazi’s Anniversary, We End Conservative Pessimism and Right-Wing Apocalypticism

2. My Generation Is Never Going to See a Damn Dime of the Social Security that’s Being Unwillingly Extracted From Us By Force of Imprisonment.

What kind of technology will America have come the 2020s, 2030s, 2040s? I tend to embrace the Ray Kurzweil model that predicts such things as artificial intelligence smarter than man in 2028. It won’t be until the 2050s when the first millennials are ready for where Social Security is set at today. Who is going to genuinely claim that Social Security will still be needed with the technology of decades from now making everything in the economy infinitely cheaper and lifespan expanding?

3. Charles Krauthammer Is Not All That Well-Known Outside of our Political Bubble and Amongst Those Who Don’t Watch Fox News.

Plenty of your commenters jumped on you for this one and I’ll pile on too:

Dr. Krauthammer is, as I am certain all PJM readers know, America’s most well-known and highly regarded spokesman for conservatism.

These days just about the only conservative media spokesman (who wasn’t a major politician at some point) that the non-politically obsessed can name is Rush Limbaugh. And maybe Ann Coulter too thanks to all her Today show type appearances where she says the right things to provoke the postmodern progressives.

But you’re half-right. Krauthammer is America’s most well-known and highly regarded spokesman, but it’s not of just overall “conservatism,” a role held for decades by William F. Buckley, Jr.

It makes me sick to think that my kids are going to be slaves to the debt created by the selfish children who created these "entitlements". It's bad enough that I won't see a dime of what I'm paying in, but future generations will be paying off the purchase of a product that broke down, collapsed and completely disappeared. It's sort of like having a huge payment even after your car caught fire and burned to the ground. I say let's default and re-structure! Promises, my a**.
Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I've had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out www.Buzz95.com
Social Security has been a Ponzi scheme all along, and , for the last 45 years, I have been paying FICA taxes just like everybody else. Hell, I'm still paying FIA taxes.

I would have preferred an arrangement where I contributed those monies into a privately owned account, because at the end, I would at least have something to show for it.

All of that money paid is not going to a trust account, not since the budget fiddling was redone in the '60s anyway. Now it goes into the general fund, where it is used by Democrats to buy off the party's base.

Once SS was opened to pay for disability, everyone is suddenly disabled. We aren't talking abut real disability, we are talking about the kind of disability that goes with long term unemployment, or sloth, or dishonesty, and the willingness of the people who so cavalierly spend your money to go along with the scam.

Let's face it. We are all totally screwed.
Anyone who voted for Obama, ha ha sucker, you are paying for my retirement, enjoy. Anyone who didn't, they took FICA out of my paycheck for over 40 years and I deserve to get something back!
Very mean-spirited and unpleasant thread.
I think Jaycen may in fact be Dave, based in part on his announcing to everyone that he is not Dave. If he is Dave, Dave, I think you can do better. So, I guess you are 27 years old, approximately, and you are cutting off those now dependent on the system. Well, at least implicitly. Want to change the system? Great, but it's a stretch to kill a system without which many would basically perish. And hubris too. BTW, if you are not Jaycen, you should have used your powers to censor a few of his posts - they were obscene.
Under the authority of our Constitution retirement security falls to private individuals, private groups and state governments. Under such a system, established for true social justice, our Founding Fathers ensured that no one would fall through the cracks and perish. Under our original non-socialist (non-collectivist) system the natural work ethic of the people was encouraged and rewarded - each man labored hard in order to keep and enjoy the great majority of his labor's product.

Under our Marxist/socialist/collectivist system the people's work ethic is gradually destroyed universally. The laboring middle class hides the product of their labor or they give up and go over to the proletariat side with outstretched hands - willing to lick the socialist master's hand that feeds them - their work ethic destroyed. The non-laboring proletariat class doesn't work because they don't have to work - they live off the sweat of their neighbors face. Poverty and chaos is ensured on a national scale once the people's work ethic is destroyed by this evil - martial law and dictatorship must follow.

Dave, I hate to tell you but, Obamacare will solve the insolvency problem of Socialist Security. Because of the Ezekial Emmanuel (brother of Rhom) policy of the Complete lives system you will not live long enough to collect on Social Security.
First of all, Social Security is fixable from a demographic standpoint. All that is required is raising retirement ages over time. There is a drain period as Baby Boomers retire, but after that it is "sustainable" with common sense reforms. That doesn't mean it is a good deal, but it is relatively easy to save from bankruptcy. Medicare, Medicaid, and Obama-Care are completely unsustainable and the end is near for all of them.

The idea that you aim for total rollback of the welfare state is hopelessly naive. No reforms at all can be implemented if reformers lose every election. And taking that position has always been a recipe for defeat. You cannot just assume a 180-degree turnaround in the electorate because you think it would be a good thing.

We didn't get here in one fell swoop. We fell into this progressive government hell one little step at a time over a century. It need not take that long to reverse it, but the thought it can be done in a few years or elections is frankly just stupid. Like the Cruz "defund" movement, wishing won't make it so and "and then a miracle happens" is not a plan.
It is not hopelessly naive. Read America 3.0.

Do you really believe that I will need Social Security in the 2050s? Or do you think it's more likely that we'll be a dramatically different, technologically transformed society?
Let me quote from politicalcompass. If you take the test there, please comment on your results. My own results left me with very little company. YMMV.

"The old one-dimensional categories of 'right' and 'left', established for the seating arrangement of the French National Assembly of 1789, are overly simplistic for today's complex political landscape. For example, who are the 'conservatives' in today's Russia? Are they the unreconstructed Stalinists, or the reformers who have adopted the right-wing views of conservatives like Margaret Thatcher ?

On the standard left-right scale, how do you distinguish leftists like Stalin and Gandhi? It's not sufficient to say that Stalin was simply more left than Gandhi. There are fundamental political differences between them that the old categories on their own can't explain. Similarly, we generally describe social reactionaries as 'right-wingers', yet that leaves left-wing reactionaries like Robert Mugabe and Pol Pot off the hook.

That's about as much as we should tell you for now. After you've responded to the following propositions during the next 3-5 minutes, all will be explained. In each instance, you're asked to choose the response that best describes your feeling: Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Agree or Strongly Agree. At the end of the test, you'll be given the compass, with your own special position on it.
I don't enjoy being on SSD,... never my choice, nature took care of that. But having been in the lowest working tier since my discharge, having an IRA wasn't an affordable option, so as I grew older, worried more about my kids future than mine, the unexpected happened. Back broken in two places, 7 vertebrae partially crushed, 8 discs mangled 6 badly. Even after one reconstructive surgery, my spine continues to deteriorate and working just isn't possible.

So for me, the question becomes.. if we are to end it, how do we do it, and not simply dump those who can't work in the gutter. I never opposed disability insurance with Social Security, seemed not terribly bad to help the maimed who couldn't work anymore. The infirm..

So.. do we privatize it over a course of two decades?.. easing everyone onto private plans?

I wouldn't object,.. the only way America where everyone knows some loved one who is past his working years, will approve the ending of Social Security, is if it's replaced with something better. A hard sell with the left in full hysteric mode.. but I don't believe you intend it to cruelly harm the disabled, and our minor children, I give you more credit than that..

so,... what are the options?

How do we transition from publicly funded, to privately paid for?
“How do we transition from publicly funded, to privately paid for?”

The answer most likely is to be found among those who have suffered genuine disability as have you. Modern communication technology must surely be the means whereby those of you who find themselves in the same circumstance can brainstorm the question that you raise. Form a group of, by, and for those in like circumstance and most assuredly you will arrive at an answer.

SSD has been turned into a racket and the politicians have no intent of reversing that. They will simply allow it collapse in a heap and then walk away from it. You and your fellows must get ahead of that reality and come up with a sustainable plan that suits your needs. Thankfully, we live in an age whereby communications make that feasible.

I wish that I could be more specific, but perhaps this thought will plant a seed. I have had the honor of significantly assisting someone who lived a life of severe disability. And, unfortunately, I have a family member who works the SSD racket. Thus, your question intrigued me.
Thanks... a generous reply..

I think that no idea at this point is beyond at least examining.. at least not if it's a sustainable option. privately funded,.. and the safe guards put BACK in place..

in 08 there were 5 million on disability, in 5 years, Obama has doubled it to 10 million..

Unless there's been an outrageous explosion of work place injury, serious illness, or sudden unexplained aging, you know the game has been rigged.

I see the sham disabled around me all the time.. they aren't hard to spot. I worked till they literally had to remove me from the job, because even standing 8 hours was no longer possible..

and I see guys in their 30's, in doctors waiting rooms, milking a single bulged disc for all it's worth.. Hell, from the moment of impact, before I blanked out and stumbled twenty yards then hit the pavement, I never cried, never screamed, never whimpered like a puppy afraid of a newspaper.... oh.. it was not pleasant..

but when I see a guy in the waiting room, throw a perfect catawalling fit of shrieks groans and whines.. all because his minor injury hurts so much they have to triage him and see him.. RIGHT NOW..

then go quiet with a smirk as they usher him back..

yeah, I've seen it.

The word among the working poor, among my wife's family.. the neighbors, is if you have any medical issue, apply NOW, while Obama has opened the floodgates, they accept anyone with a lawyer now.. I didn't need one..

They are crashing the system,.. and I'd consider anything to protect what has saved my family, and going private payer, even if it becomes, say, a voluntary contribution to SSD alone,.. not forced, but like the united way contributions,.... then contracted to someone like Blue Cross to run.. I'd be fine with that..

They can then invest any surplus and grow it, instead of just paying it out as it comes in, like now..

But your answer has a core of truth,.. we can only save ourselves.. there is no financial messiah for the disabled, sure as Hell not Obama.
In other words..... "Not our problem. Take it down the hall, two doors to the right"....'>.........
Not how I took it... asking for ideas is hardly an offensive thing..
Absurd reaction to what was written.
"I won't be 65 until 2051. To hell with FDR's big government behemoth and its theft from my paycheck."

It's your generation that, by and large, elected and re-elected Barack Obama, a guy who makes FDR and his brand of welfare statism look like child's play.

Talk about wanting to turn the citizen into the slave of the state.

Krauthammer has evolved into a huge critic of big government programs. Life taught him that.
1 2 3 Next View All