On 9/11 and Benghazi’s Anniversary, We End Conservative Pessimism and Right-Wing Apocalypticism

The world may look bleak as we mourn those we've lost, but America's greatest days lie ahead and James C. Bennett and Michael Lotus's America 3.0 provides the blueprint for getting there.

Dave Swindle

September 11, 2013 - 3:30 pm

Sunset on 9/11

For season 2 of the 13 Weeks Radical Reading Regimen each afternoon I juxtapose book excerpts with a collection of PJ Media’s headlines and links to the 10 most interesting stories I find each morning from other sites around the web. The goal is to make fresh connections between the events of the day and the bigger picture of humanity’s place in the universe. This series’ current focus also begins each day through highlighting the contributions of an important writer.

My original plan for today’s 9/11 reflection had been to write something very mean about Barack Obama and the Shadow President who actually makes his decisions, Valerie Jarrett.

I was angry at the president over Syria and particularly the way he had knocked off the radar his other scandals: the IRS targeting of his political opponents, his NSA’s unconstitutional surveillance of all internet traffic, the myriad of corruptions in Eric Holder’s racialist Justice Department, and, finally, what I still believe and pray will someday emerge in full clarity for all Americans as what it is, Obama’s Worse-Than-Watergate for which he should be impeached. His abandonment of four American heroes to die as they called for help, the still mysterious circumstances of just why Ambassador Chris Stevens was there on the anniversary of 9/11, and then the administration’s denial of a terrorist attack, asserting against all evidence that the attack was the result of “spontaneous uprisings” provoked by a YouTube video whose filmmaker was promptly arrested. (Think any Muslim in the Middle East has any idea he technically sat in jail for a parole violation, instead of for blaspheming the Prophet?)

But enough of all that. Or it’s “goodbye to all that” that’s the cliché of choice for previous generations, right?

Throughout Obama’s presidency I’ve called him just about every name in the book short of the Birthers’ “Kenyan.” But what’s the point any more? There’s no longer an election to win. There is no one left to try to convince of Obama’s stealth-socialist, Alinskyite strategy for “fundamentally transforming America.” Now all that’s necessary is to stand back and quietly mutter “I told you so” as our Democrat, progressive, and leftist friends watch in horror as Obama’s agenda collapses across the board. What will be left to brag about at the end of eight years? A healthcare law that doesn’t work and that Obama himself has delayed implementing?

Dave, I'd like to be an optimist, but ain't easy.

Today I asked a 20 year old unwed mother, studying to be a medical assistant, "If someone bashed your head in and stole your purse, would that be a moral act?" Answer: "Yes, moral."

I recently asked a pre-med student, "Are you morally superior to Hitler?" Answer: "I can't say, it's all relative.

One more bourbon, make it a double please!
It's easier to be optimistic about moral relativists when we realize that it's not a new phenomenon at all. Cultures and societies have always struggled against those who rejected the idea of Good and Evil. But we've been winning.
This was a reassuring article to read. I'd like to believe it. We'll see going forward. I'll try to keep an open mind.

I also believe we can recover from Obama. But Obama by himself is not THE problem. He is A problem. The REAL problem is the infrastructure that allowed him to get into power. We need to address that. If we don't, it is hard for me to see a way out of the damage he and his enablers are doing for the remainder of my lifetime (I'm 52 this month).

Space here does not permit me to expand on this as I'd like, but I am convinced that more than any other single factor, the interest segment that got Obama into power was the Gulf Arab Petrodollar Pimp Empire. They in relation to the U.S. is roughly akin to WW1 Germany vis-a-vis Czarist Russia at that time, sending Lenin into Russia in order to weaken their country, take them out of the war, and free up German resources for their Western front.

They manipulated the price of oil in order to force the market crash of '08 so as to scare the American people into electing Obama in the first place. Remember, McCain was on track in the polls to win until the crash. Their purpose was to install a president who would go where no president had gone before in terms of the lengths he would go to in order to screw Israel in particular, and withdraw the U.S. from the Middle East generally, so that their Islamist political culture would no longer be perturbed by the example we set for their populations in terms of modern liberal secular values, and so they could finally dismantle an isolated, besieged Israel that could no longer avail itself of the support of the world's leading power. So far, they have largely gotten what they paid for. Israel may yet confound them, and their own internecine disunity and squabbling may lead to them confounding themselves, but Obama is serving his purpose in the greater scheme of things.

Once in, Chicago thug tactics combined with a bought and paid for media ensured that he would get a second term. I have no doubt whatever that the election itself was massively rigged. I could write volumes about this, but for now, I ask one question: How could it be really plausible that given the stakes involved, Romney got two and a half million votes less than even McCain did in '08? How was it that, according to official figures, voter turnout in '12 was not only less than in '08, but even '04, despite the fact that there were 18 million MORE registered voteres in '12 than in '08? I live in the swing state of Ohio...it was so, so obvious...support for Romney was VERY strong here; there is no way, no how, that Obama won this state - and probably many others - legitimately.

With this last election, at the level of presidential elections, we have sunk to about the level of Venezuela. How do we overcome this? Without serious electoral reform, it is hard for me to see a way to a bright "America 3.0.". With the help of the Petrodollar Pimp Empire, Rand Paul might get a lot farther than he deserves to.

For a start, I would suggest that to find our way out of this, we have to look at potential political successors to Obama through this lens: Where are they getting their money, really? How supportive are local surrogates for Islamist interests of particular candidates? If, for example, NPR, the NYT, or the Atlantic Monthly start running a bunch of gushing puff pieces on Rand Paul, that would be a big red flag right there. There is a reason why the likes of Sarah Palin was demonized the way she was; she is clearly out of this orbit, and HAD to be stopped.

Such are my two cents on this. Stout Hearts, everybody...
This is to reply to Megan, b/c I am such a tech retard that I've only gotten reply to work once.

Anyway- history belongs to who shows up. Right now, that's a mixed bag. Leftists really don't have functional kids, and they don't really have that many- one per couple, is what I've seen. Then they get a divorce, and the kid is jacked up for life- which means- lame, not - influential job, low- pay, no marriage, maybe one kid after that. They've pretty much killed off that branch of the family tree, in two or three generations. They tend to be short generations, too. That's about half of all the news in alternative medicine books- divorce in childhood jacks you up by the time you're forty.

While conservative, more religious types have kids. Healthy, sturdy, literate, polite kids. Plural. This means they know how to navigate in a family, one way or another.

What I think is interesting right now is the social distrust- everyone has their carefully raised kids- but they don't know that their nice kid is going to meet up with a nice girl/ nice boy to get married. It's everyone- even at churches with strong youth groups. I mean, I've got three kids. When I carpool, they've got their friends- and these are middle-school boys- first set of pimples, never been kissed, young-- and they are already planning on college, and jobs, and buying houses in the suburbs and wives and kids. Concrete plans- they check each other's grades and papers- did you do this? They talk about being like their grouchy old man neighbor. They sort their toys- keeper for future kid- tosser- and what's interesting is that they are keeping the quality toys- wooden train sets- and tossing the plasticrap. They are already considering what sort of dad they'll be, too.

And yet, when I talk to mothers and grandmothers of daughters- they don't know that these guys are out there. They hope they are- but they don't know. They aren't sure their daughters will find these guys.

I'm thinking cotillion and "the season" isn't the worst thought ever. I mean, movies all sort of agree that Prom, run by a public school, is the best match-maker. What if debutante season, with its teas and dances and socials and picnics, among a great big group of nice kids- with parents and such sort of supervising---wouldn't that be at least a good start? I know it's tarred as elitest and retrograde, but I don't know that it has to be.
Thanks for the recommendation. America 3.0 goes on my To Buy list. Thanks, also, for pointing out the dangers of apocalyptic thinking on the right and for voicing my fears of the Rand Paul cult. If he were to be elected president he could prove to be as destructive as Obama himself. Paul seems to be using the most pernicious tactics of Democrats, an appeal to the emotions through fear, and I hope people realize this and refrain from spending political capital in trying to get this guy elected president. We can do much better.
I like Rand Paul. He's one of the few voices I hear that consistently echoes the ideas of the founders. We could use a lot more voices like his. And a lot fewer lying, class-warfare/racial hatred stoking socialist tyrants.
His free-market domestic agenda is fine with me, but his fear-mongering about drones was silly and a waste of time when there are so many truly egregious acts that have been perpetrated by the O administration to be concerned about. The withdrawal of American influence from the world stage he advocates is really troubling, especially now that the administration has done so much damage. As a nation we're going to need a sure hand on foreign policy, and that's not Rand Paul.
Even his free market agenda is still nuts. He focuses most of his economic energies on the Fed and the gold standard rather than issues that are really causing the problems. He's not a limited government advocate, he's a NO GOVERNMENT advocate.
Wait, are we talking RAND Paul or RON Paul? The latter I definitely see there.

And honestly, if he's an anarchist as you seem to imply, I don't see why he shouldn't support Rousseau and Robespierre? They were anarchists. Heck, the entire point of the French Revolution was tearing down government and order. Otherwise, why kill the king and his nobles? One of his commanders, Grignon, even stated when raiding Vendee that they kill anyone they find, even fellow revolutionaries.
The only meaningful difference I've come to see between Ron and Rand is the same as the difference between Jeremiah Wright and Obama: he's smart enough to shut up and pretend to be reasonable so he can dupe people into voting for him.

There are a number of varieties of anarchism that don't all agree. Rand Paul derives from Murray Rothbard's anarcho-capitalism.
I respect you Dave but I gotta ask what's your proof about Rand being just like dear old dad? I mean if mushy(albeit smart) moderates like Micheal Medved like him(and he sure didn't like his father) I start to wonder if you're the one off base here.

No disrespect meant, just an honest question.
Michael Medved is a naive fool. He embodies everything that annoys me about corporatist baby boomer conservatism-lite. I turn off the radio everyday as soon as his show is about to start. But I really doubt that uber-neoconservative Medved is all that crazy about Paul when he disagrees with his foreign policy views so much.

The fact that Rand Paul has perpetually supported his father's presidential campaigns and utilized his father's movement and network of supporters to get elected are big proofs that he has not broken with his father in any meaningful way. I am not aware of any time he has criticized his father or said in any serious way that he disagrees with his father's naked antisemitism.

I gave further proof in my article's addendum. Did you not see it? I'll copy and paste for you:

Here’s a video of Rand Paul in 2010 talking fondly about his memories driving his father’s guru Murray Rothbard (the one who advocated allying with conspiracists, antisemites and racists, perhaps really because he was all three himself) to the airport after a trip to Washington D.C.:

As the controversy with the Rand Paul staffer and co-author of Rand’s book, the Southern Avenger — not fired and still defended by Rand — demonstrates, the poison apple did not far from the tree when it comes to welcoming horrible people into the movement.

Rand Paul is a lousy choice to carry forth the message of a limited government and an intelligently targeted, hawkish foreign policy. He and his movement don’t actually believe in limited government. They believe in no government. I’m so tired of baby-boomer conservatives describing the Pauls and the libertarians as “great on economics, just too bad they’re leftist in their foreign policy.” Both of these claims are wrong. Anarcho-capitalism is not an economic system any conservative could praise — it’s the world of the Articles of Confederation. That’s what Rothbard actually advocated. And it’s why I’ll continue to call the Paul cult anti-American.

Anti-Americanism’s older brother is antisemitism. And Rand’s father is, as others have noted, his Jeremiah Wright. Ron Paul made over a million dollars selling antisemitic and racist conspiracy theories in his newsletters. He made more money than most people make in a lifetime by trafficking in hate. If that doesn’t make someone an antisemite then what does? Speaking for an antisemitic group? Saying Iran, which has made clear its intent to obliterate Israel, should be allowed to have nuclear weapons and they are not a threat to us?
He bugs the hell out of me too. I listen to him sparingly in the car, I turn to Hannity instead. Sorry I'm using a chromebook and it hasn't loaded some of the pages on PJM all that well, especially those with embedded videos, so no, I didn't see the video(and if you included it in your reply to me it's still not there). Admittedly I know nothing about Murray Rothbard, I'll have to do some research but if what you say is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then supporting Rand Paul becomes very hard.
The site's been having some issues lately so it might not be you. But thank you for your consideration. I don't say these things lightly. This is an issue that I've had to deal with for years as an editor and activist. And these are the conclusions that I have come to. Rand Paul has clearly demonstrated that he still embraces his father's ideology and still reveres repugnant people like Rothbard. And yes, check out Rothbard's books and read for yourself his anarchism. The think tank he helped found offers most of his books as free downloads. I might end up going through and blogging some of them at some point.
"Someone not smart enough to grasp what the founders built is ill-equipped to disassemble it." This is the money quote for me. You were right, this DOES make me feel better. I need to read this book. But I do have one concern...you know I want to believe we can find the upswing again, but with the hoards of useful idiots that put this imbecile in office AGAIN, do you really think there are enough of us who inherited the American values of "hard work, get up and try again, ingenuity...etc." type stuff? I fear we are outnumbered by those who have been corrupted by the socialist/commie takeover of our educational system. The low-information crowd is killing our values and regard for freedom. Do you really think we can overcome the sheer numbers?
"Do you really think we can overcome the sheer numbers?"
Yes. Their numbers are not as high as one might think. The number of people in this country who are neither Right or Left and just trying to get on with their lives is much higher than a lot of conservatives think.

Obama's victory was more a result of defeating Romney and sabotaging opposition efforts against him, not winning on the issues. Obama won by duping America both times -- not because they really accepted his agenda.
He won by 'duping' people who were most willing to be duped. The only possible alternative is massive, telling voter fraud. If that did in fact happen, then Romney and the GOP caved utterly, proving the existence of a de-facto one-party state. Your inadvertent comments about getting high off the writings of Johnson and others are telling - America as a Freedom Drug. Torah goes out from Jerusalem, not Washington. Not really a political statement, per se, but good to keep in mind when worshiping Rome - America is closer to Rome than to Jerusalem, though we in and around Jerusalem often seem to pine for Rome. The fact remains that, after a disastrous four years of being led by a man nurtured on Marxist ideals and with obvious devotion to Muslims, with whom he promised to stand if the winds changed, Americans elected Obama a second time. You're a fantasist, Dave.
What is the fantasy I am allegedly embracing?
That America will come to a different fate from Rome as described in prophesy, I assume.........
"Do you really think we can overcome the sheer numbers?" Once the current government goes bankrupt... Yep. Atlas won't be shrugging but the American makers will.
True, and I wish it were not, for the consequences of bankruptcy
will be measured in mega-deaths in this country, and there is no
guarantee that the 'Good Guys' will win out in the effort to rebuild
and reform the USofA.