Why You Should Give Yourself A Cable-Free Life For Christmas: Go Roku

Countdown to Christmas: Only 10 weeks left.

Rhonda Robinson

October 27, 2013 - 4:00 pm

osteragestuck

For most of our adult lives, television at the Robinson household consisted of a large antenna in the attic. We jokingly called it “farm vision.” Then we did what all old people do when their children are grown–we moved into town. I really enjoyed the luxury of cable–that is for about two years. Then I started to feel a bit cheated.

This past year forced us to reevaluate almost every aspect of our lives: our health, our lifestyle and our spending habits. When assessing the cost of cable, and the value it brings–cutting it was a no-brainer.

However, my husband and I both have favorite programs we enjoy. I’m not going to lie, as an information-junkie, my withdrawals from news and commentary hit fairly hard.

We’ve had AppleTV, and enjoyed streaming Netflix and routinely mirrored videos or live streaming church services or breaking news. But it really doesn’t offer a whole lot more than what’s on your computer or iPad.

Enter Roku.

Pronounced Row-Koo. If you’re considering Apple TV as an alternative to cable or DVD rentals checkout Roku first.

Roku is a little black device about the size of the palm of your hand and it streams Internet “channels” to your television. Roku comes loaded with access to over 1000 channels.

It’s a mixed bag of hundreds of free content and paid subscriptions. The best part about it, is you can add the channels you want and you’re not forced to weed through hundreds of channels to get to the couple you prefer. You can get Netflix, Hulu Plus, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, PBS, The Blaze and Fox News. There are no fees connected with the device itself after the initial purchase. You will have to have wi-fi of course, as it is a streaming device.

Roku currently offers four different devices starting at $49.99. You can add a few bells and whistles at a time.

Currently, we have a yearly subscription to Amazon Prime, and are in the process of comparing Redbox (which offers four DVDs and unlimited streaming for $8.00 monthly) and Netflix. The subscriptions or combination you choose all depend on your viewing habits.

We have enjoyed the ability to watch entire seasons of television shows, watching episodes back to back without commercial interruption. Who cares if they are last year’s season–I’m no longer subjected to ED commercials or dating sites no matter how late we stay up.

You now have several options.

Can you get Jeopardy? Frankly, I can't stand the show but there are those in the household who love it and the over the air broadcast doesn't reach us.
Amazon is releasing their version pre-Christmas, so rumor has it.
Hmmm. I hope they don't wait too long. I'd like to see what they will offer. We get Prime now.
I had gave up cable/satellite television about three years ago in favor of Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I thought that I would miss paying a $100+ monthly bill until I realized I was getting most of the same content for a much lower price. The only reason to keep cable/satellite is to get the major sports packages (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB, etc.), but to me that's not worth $100+ a month in cable bills.

And for the record any device that allows streaming of content is great. I use my PS3 in the family room and have Roku boxes in all the bedrooms. The only downside is that the majority of streaming services will not allow you to stream to more than two televisions. I'm pretty sure that the big ones like Netflix and Hulu have enough date to show that people use their services on multiple devices and televisions. Maybe it's time to remove that streaming cap.
We use Netflix on different devices. I'm not sure but I think you can use it on up to 5 devices.
I went 4 years without TV entirely; why I went back to it, I can't say (I moved, maybe the change in environment?). But I can say that I didn't really miss it. Sports and news were really the only thing I desired to watch; the rest could be caught off of the 'Net.

I Think I might just go back to TV-free.
i watch all my sports on the 'Net. several sites available try www.feed2all.eu or http://firstrowus1.eu/
Roku is great... until you want to watch live sports.

So I have one in the bedroom for the Hulu+, Amazon Prime, Netflix and PBS kids, while my husband keeps paying the cable bill so he can watch sports on the big screen in his man room. :)
'Round these parts, the Wi-Fi comes with the cable, and costs just as much without it, so we have no way to save any money on it! Dang.
Rhonda, Is it a pretty good version of Fox News now, or just a few bits? Pandora is a nice thing to get via Roku, also, for music streaming.
Not as good as I had hoped. I was a bit disappointed. It's not the same as watching it on cable. So, I'm in the process of talking my husband into letting me put the Roku on the kitchen tv, and keeping the Apple tv in the bedroom.

I mostly listen to the tv in the kitchen. The upside, is that at least you don't get the constant looping Fox is notorious for. AND it's commercial free--gotta love that.

I think I'll get used to it. But I'm willing to bet as this grows more mainstream, there will be more to it.
I haven't checked it lately, but the last time I did it was sill just bits and pieces. But I think there was a live audio option?
Yes. There is a live audio option.
"Go Roku".....

Ichi, Ni, San, She, Go, Roku,.... Isn't "Go Roku" Japanese for "Five, Six"?
LOLZ.