Why Christians, Jews, and Everyone Else Better Take an Interest in Heaven and Hell

Furthering a PJM inter-faith dialogue on Rabbi Shmuley Boteach's Kosher Jesus.

Walter Hudson

October 6, 2013 - 3:00 pm

constaintine

In her ongoing reflection upon Rabbi Shmuley Boteach’s Kosher Jesus, my PJM colleague Rhonda Robinson asserts that “Christians Should Agree with Jews’ Disinterest in Heaven and Hell.” In her quest for inter-faith unity, she drags Christianity back down to Earth.

Boteach explains that “Jews do not follow Judaism for the purpose of reward in the afterlife.” Honestly, neither should Christians. And I would venture to say, most don’t.

It’s easy to see where that is the perception. That’s what most evangelists preach: the infamous knock on the door, followed by “if you die tonight where would you go?” style of evangelism.

Those who honestly seek to follow Christ, do in fact live out what Boteach is trying to say that true Judaism is, by bringing more light into the world. Some of the best schools, hospitals and outreaches have been started and flourished by Christians living out this very principle.

When asked by Christians “Do you know where you’re going?” Boteach’s response is worth noting,

My worship of God is not about me. It’s not about saving myself from hell. I’m not here on this earth to spend my life accruing virtue so I get some divine reward. I don’t worship God so it ultimately benefits me. I do it because I want to be in a relationship with Him. I do it because it’s right. And I do it to make this world a better place. I love God unconditionally and unequivocally. Not because I expect anything in return.

Most Christians I know could have said the very same thing.

How wonderfully pious.

Let us dare to ask some essential questions. Why should anyone worship God? Why should anyone love Him? Why should anyone want to “be in a relationship with Him”? What’s the point? Boteach asserts that he loves God “because it’s right.” But where’s he getting that from? Why is it right? Why would not loving God be wrong?

Is this a good place to tell one of my oldest and most favorite jokes?

What's the difference between Heaven and Hell?

Heaven is a place where:

-- the cooks are French
-- the mechanics are German
-- the police are British
-- the lovers are Italian
-- and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell is a place where:

-- the cooks are British
-- the mechanics are French
-- the police are German
-- the lovers are Swiss
-- and everything is organized by the Italians.
Alas, this preacher doth beg the question.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me
(John 14:6).
The Inquisition followed as the night the day.
And it only took 1100 or 1200 years!
Here is a good sign for Christians everywhere!

44 Abortion Clinics Closed in 2013 as Two More Close in Cleveland, Montana by Cheryl Sullenger 9/20/13

"I used to be all messed up on drugs, but ever since I found the Lord, now I am all messed up on the Lord!"

Kinda like that.
Sure, you might have a relationship with God, but it might very well be an unhealthy one of co-dependence and enabling, so you might want to take another look at it.

IOW, a Godly relationship is still subject to human imperfections and corruption. I think too many people forget that.
Thank God, People still have the brains to write this kind of words that are not allowed.
"The Creator who made us in his image"

Mr. Hudson,
Only Jesus Christ was created in the image of GOD. This is why Christ told Phillip in John 14:9 " he that hath seen ME hath seen the FATHER"
It is quite clear to see from reading your article and the many comments posted why GOD said in Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge"
"the people whom I formed for Myself that they might declare my praise"

Sounds like something Obama says every morning when he gets up.
Believing you understand Judaism after reading Boteach is like thinking you can teach a course in Biblical history after watching The Ten Commandments in a movie theater. This writer, well meaning I'm sure, would be better off studying more and expounding less. Stick to what you truly know.
IF heaven was to be God's will for our lives, why did He not take you home the moment after you were saved by His grace and mercy? God could have made certain none of us backslid or returned to our own vomit by simply stopping our hearts and ushering us into His presence.

God spoke to me as He spoke to Johnny Cash whilst he sought to die within the depths of a cave near Chattanooga, TN. "I have much work for you to do."

It's easy to pine for the by-and-by. Living is hard work Living for the Living God is even harder. We have much work to do. That is why we are still here after giving out lives to God in the first place.
1 2 3 Next View All