20 Tips for Talking with Your Anti-American Acquaintances When They Say Dumb Things on 9/11 (Part 2)

(If you have the stomach and the stupidity for it... which I unfortunately do... sigh...)

Dave Swindle

September 14, 2013 - 12:00 pm

Click here for Part 1 of this online dialogue I had about the causes of the September 11 jihad terror attack with a pack of secularist, postmodern progressives.

11debate91112debate911c 13and14debate911 15debate911 16and17debate911

18debate911

19debate911

20debate911

If you enjoyed this dialogue and its tips then check out the predecessor, 10 Tips for How to Talk to a Marxist Who Thinks He’s a Liberal (If  You Must.) And if you didn’t enjoy this dialogue for one reason or another, then you especially should read it.

David Swindle is the associate editor of PJ Media. He writes and edits articles and blog posts on politics, news, culture, religion, and entertainment. He edits the PJ Lifestyle section and the PJ columnists. Contact him at DaveSwindlePJM @ Gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @DaveSwindle. He has worked full-time as a writer, editor, blogger, and New Media troublemaker since 2009, at PJ Media since 2011. He graduated with a degree in English (creative writing emphasis) and political science from Ball State University in 2006. Previously he's also worked as a freelance writer for The Indianapolis Star and the film critic for WTHR.com. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their Siberian Husky puppy Maura.

"I am not going to stop it and in fact the more you troll me about my insufficient adoration of your idol Sarah Palin the more I will be inspired to blog against her."

Sigh. That's the second time you've called me a troll. I guess I know when debate isn't welcome, so I'll push off after this. On the other hand, I'm happy for you - that you've never experienced the real thing. Back in the run-up to 2012, lots of trolls were here on PJM - three or four guys pretending to be Tea and making racist comments. Two of them I recognized from previous threads making comments in the vein of your FB pals. So if you think I'm a troll, mazeltov.

Your rude slams on Palin seem tied to your assertion that a coalition of non-Leftists uniting to fight the Left will never happen, so we might as well play whack-a-mole with each other - false smiles and courtesy can be such a bore.

You violate your own "tips" when it comes to Palin again and again, as I've pointed out several times already (per your tip on repeating points opponents refuse to address), when you call her a joke rather than address her ideas:

"The problem is both her character as a person..."

Her character as a person? (As opposed to her character as a fish?) Her moral character? Is she a bad mom? Bad churchwoman? What?

"...and her lack of serious ideas."

Which serious ideas does she lack? (I mean aside from the whole 'Rand is a poo-poo head' idea.) She wants a strong military, strong foreign policy, fiscal integrity, sensible drilling policy for energy, a kibosh on Obamacare. Your Left-derived cartoon of her is what's lightweight.

"She's just a Tea Party Oprah..."

What's that? Which of those three words carries the heaviest sneer, Dave? I told you before that Oprah's influence deserves respect. Tell us why you look down on the woman.

"...to make people feel good about themselves while she makes money."

Making people feel good about themselves! Why, the vile vixen! C'mon, I get mad at people stealing, people taking huge bucks for nothing much (Fannie Mae bonus takers, GOP consultants making 7-figures for losing again and again, then having the nerve to rake advertising profits from our donations), but she earns what she gets. You no likey, you no watch.

"She is not doing ANYTHING of consequence..."

Through SarahPAC, she's the one person most responsible getting Tea people into office. Her FB page is hugely influential (Death Panels), her reality TV show was a nice dose of Americana to retake the culture - remember that lib woman whose eyes shot death rays when Sarah's father offered her a rifle? Too funny!

Okay, debate mode off. Lemme give you some serious and friendly advice. Y'know John Derbyshire? Good guy. He gave some interview while he was trying to get his NRO podcast to catch on, and he trashed the radio formats of Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh, calling their bumper music "low-brow," among other complaints. He was an editorial colleague of Levin's at NRO at the time. Levin slammed him back on The Corner (Mark loves Rush). Derb made some huffy remarks about debate not being allowed among Conservatives. When Derb's next book came out, he couldn't get on Levin's show, or anybody else's. (Low-brow bumpers are what the people want, so he'd ticked off a broad spectrum of hosts who might have helped him.) And when Derb crossed a PC line with his column about "The Talk" that blacks have with their kids and "The Talk" he has with his own, Old Lady Lowry cut him loose, and nobody spoke up for him at all.

Don't offend people just to show your independent nature, Dave. We know you've got original ideas, but be polite to those who mostly go your way.

And when they throw Palin's name like a dart at you on FB, don't take it, even if you don't admire Sarah. Their reasons for disliking Palin are not yours; theirs are vile. Instead, attack: "Who's better than Palin, Hillary? What's Hillary ever done on her own? How'd she make partner at Rose? Was she a litigator? Tax expert? Probate? No, she was a Rainmaker: Tyson Chicken and lots of others looking for favors came to Hillary to pony up their bribes. And what did she do in the Senate, any signature legislation? Or did she just down shots of Royal Crown in the cloakroom?" That's the ticket - don't give up any ground you don't have to give up.

Good luck and God bless you Dave. May your career reach great heights.
Anna. I see what you mean... Alice`s st0ry is something... last tuesday I got a gorgeous Citroën 2CV when I got my cheque for $5209 this-last/five weeks and-a little over, ten/k last munth. it's by-far my favourite work I've ever done. I actually started six months/ago and pretty much straight away started bringing in at least $87, per-hr. website here http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
"If some people want to judge me as stupid..."

Dude, I said your OPINIONS were stupid. I'm sure you're clever as all get-out. Seriously though, didn't mean to get shirty with you. Just don't like it when we trash our own to appear "reasonable" and find "middle ground" with those who never return the favor.

Republicans only get prime TV time when they're willing to trash other Republicans. If Sarah gets a gig, she'll be the star - and she won't have had to trash non-Leftists to get there. She's been goaded to kick McCain, who really deserves it, but she won't. And don't belittle Oprah - her influence was huge. If She-Who-Called-Them-Death-Panels gets Oprah's mic, it'll be great for us: we need to make more media inroads to affect the culture.

I don't even agree with myself 100% of the time - the idol thing was silly. I'm sure Sarah, who had an Israeli flag on her governor's desk, doesn't agree with Rand 100% - but to you that makes her a "joke." C'mon.

As for Rand, is he really anti-Israel? I read he wanted an end to foreign aid, including Israel's. I'd like that, too. Foreign aid is government transfer money, and it doesn't help economies, just makes foreign governments easier to fund, and that's not good. Dennis says "The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen," as I'm sure you know. (Don't know how often I disagree with Prager - to say so sounds like I'm distancing myself, or I'm worried that some guy will call me an idolater.) Trade with Israel, sell them all the arms they want, aid them when they're under attack. They're a better ally even that Britain, and I don't want foreign aid for Britain, either.

Rand's great in the Senate. Remember how he took it to Hagel? Hagel's no friend of Israel. He hasn't been go-along-to-get-along, like Rubio - what a disappointment Marco's been. Ted Cruz is still my fave, though. Paul votes way better than McCain and Graham, do we really have to hate the guy? Post a link or something.

And didn't you dismiss Creationism, too? How REASONABLE of you, Dave! Darwin was an old fraud, the Al Gore of his day. Try this book - an Australian philosopher (non-believer) really rips Darwin to shreds. I found Stove through PJM's Roger Kimball (where's your encomium for Roger, Dave?), so you an ask him if the essays here aren't completely worth your time:

My opinion about Sarah Palin and her support of Rand Paul is not a stupid opinion -- it's grown over years of full-time editing-writing-activism. It's just one you choose to disagree with. Sarah Palin is not one of my own. After years of doing this, I am largely disillusioned with this thing called "the conservative movement" or "the Right." Now post-USSR the conservative movement is without a primary purpose and the various parts of the Reagan/National Review/Fusionist coalition just fight each other over stupid things.

I am more concerned with fighting antisemitism, racism, and totalitarianism whether it's on "Right" or "Left." The problem with defining oneself primarily as a conservative or right-winger is that it means that person is more concerned with fighting their opposing ideology (and they overlook the horrible people on their own side who don't really believe what they're saying and are just trying to make money.) They're not interested in Good vs Evil, Criminality vs Rule of Law, and Judeo-Christian values vs the many varieties of Antisemitism and its little brother Anti-Americanism.

"As for Rand, is he really anti-Israel?" He's not anti-Israel. That's just a symptom of the underlying disease. He's an antisemite. He's supported his antisemitic father his whole life and never broken with him or criticized him. He also names antisemitic anarchists like Murray Rothbard as among his mentors. See the addendum on my piece here for a summary of my objections to the Paul cult. http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/09/11/on-911-and-benghazis-anniversary-we-end-conservative-pessimism-and-right-wing-apocalypticism/?singlepage=true

"And didn't you dismiss Creationism, too?"
No, I didn't. Creationism is just a different theology than mine. Many of my theological views are comparable silly. All theologies are silly -- that's what they're supposed to be, a religion's depository of their nonsense that cannot be proven. I don't care if my Christian friends choose to embrace creationism and I have no need to try and refute it.
I'll allow that Creationism is theology if you allow that the Theory of Evolution is theology as well. If you think the fossil record supports Darwinism, you're misinformed. Before Cambrian, there were a few worms. In Cambrian, thousands and thousands of complex plant and animal species exploded onto the scene. Carbon dating is so imprecise that they might have appeared over the course of a couple thousand years, or just in one day.

We don't know the origins of the Universe, or the origins of life on Earth. If we ever find extra-terrestrial life, we'll know more.

Please read Darwinian Fairytales. Stove wields a secular blade. The first essay alone is worth the Kindle price.
"I'll allow that Creationism is theology if you allow that the Theory of Evolution is theology as well. If you think the fossil record supports Darwinism, you're misinformed."
It can be a theology for secularist Darwinists. Not being a scientist I don't write about the subject. But I'll check out Stove -- he's been on my to-read list for awhile. Roger Kimball has such a great eye for writers.
About the whole "stupid" thing, I said it first to push you away from the Lefty reflex of "I'll say any darn thing I like," as if that's somehow courageous. Then you said I was calling YOU stupid, so I took the opportunity to poke fun at your theme of hating ideas but not people. "It's your opinions, not you!"

I know you're not stupid; I respect what you do. I just don't want you going all David Frum on us.

Anti-Israel is always a cloak for anti-semite. I'll check your link in a moment, but I'm still not satisfied that Paul's anti-Israel. (And I know Palin is very pro-Israel.) Never read Rothbard, but are his books the straight Mein Kampf deal? Does he have anything to say except "hate Jews?" (I got put off when I learned more about Jack "I am first a white man and next a socialist" London, but To Build a Fire is still a good story.)

There is no "right-wing," it's a Leftist construct. Spectrum doesn't work as an analog for politics. Those who want bigger and bigger government all slide toward one hard point - the total control of Communism - so it's a fair shorthand to call them The Left. Those who want smaller government and more individual liberty are all over the board, and anarchists have almost always been Communists just pretending. The "Right" is a bogey - Trotsky dubbed Hitler a "right-wing socialist," which is still Left. Stalin denounced Trotsky as a "rightist."

We need a strong coalition of Glenn Reynolds libertarians, Mark Levin conservatives, and other fellow travellers. (White Supremacists are usually socialists, so that's two reasons to fight them.) Quit kicking people overboard, please. The Left is winning, we need to gather and fight.
You don't have to worry about me going all David Frum... He and I have a rather unpleasant history... But I know his real nature better than most having been attacked by his lies:

"(And I know Palin is very pro-Israel.)"

"Never read Rothbard, but are his books the straight Mein Kampf deal? Does he have anything to say except "hate Jews?""

"There is no "right-wing," it's a Leftist construct."
I beg to differ. I've lived and worked amongst people for years who regard themselves as "the Right" and they are fighting "the Left." I agree these are just constructs but plenty of people unfortunately choose to live in them.

"The "Right" is a bogey - Trotsky dubbed Hitler a "right-wing socialist," which is still Left."
Hitler was a "right-wing" socialist. In the context that it's being talked about here it's referring to "right-wing" nationalists and "left-wing" internationalists, not economics. The Right and Left paradigm can be applied to all kinds of aspects of political, cultural and religious ideologies.

"We need a strong coalition of Glenn Reynolds libertarians, Mark Levin conservatives, and other fellow travellers."
You're not going to get it. I used to strive for the idea of things like this too so we could battle "the Left." But the problem isn't just Left-wing political movements. Just thinking in terms of these various secular political ideologies is not enough. We have to dig deeper and then build a new coalition that isn't just trying to repeat the National Review/Reagan/Fusionist coalition that was built to defeat the USSR and is no longer all that useful today except for charlatans who want to make money pretending to be the next William F. Buckley Jr.
"He's not quite a Nazi himself. He just advocated for allying with them, both the Neo-Nazi and the Palestinian sort. The important thing is to learn to understand the variety of ideologies in the Libertarian movement. There are libertarian-conservatives and then there are libertarian-anarchists. The Pauls represent the latter tradition -- they are a revival of the Old Right. Understand the ideology of the Old Right and you will get Ron and Rand Paul and understand their indifference to a nuclear Iran."

Actually, "Old Right?" I thought that was the Left (which was coined during the French Revolution as a reference to Jesus casting the goats on his left side to Hell)? I think anarchism had its roots within the French Revolution where it was close enough to chaos and absolute disorder. They killed their own government, and then killed everyone else. People who claim that anarchism is the extreme right are just kidding themselves: Anarchism has always been on the left, Heck, Grignon once commanded during the genocide at Vendee that his soldiers "kill everyone on sight, even if they were a supporter of the revolution/fellow revolutionary," which effectively implied that he was willing to have even his own men/allies off each other, despite the latter part most likely going against Rousseau's ideas (why kill people you could recruit, after all?). The USSR and other communists just continued what the French Revolution started, as Marx derived the Communist Manifesto directly from the actions undertaken during the French Revolution (heck, he even attempted to participate in its fourth incarnation, the Paris Commune of 1866), which was itself derived directly from Voltaire, Rousseau, and Sade. To be honest, I doubted Ron Paul was even a libertarian. He seemed more like a hard leftist to me, of the George Lucas brand. One of my old teachers was a libertarian, a pretty funny guy who knew history, yet from the way one of his lectures indicated, he would not have supported the legalization of marijuana. Can't comment on his son Rand other than that he is apparently going against his own father.
Agree.
"'(And I know Palin is very pro-Israel.)'
"She talks the talk but by continuing to ally with Rand Paul she doesn't walk the walk."

She's not pure enough, so cast her out! Pelt her with matzos and gefilte fish!

Israel needs all the friends it can get, Dave.

Calling for us to denounce one another is usually something only Democrats demand we do. They won't even denounce Sharpton for inciting riot and murder at Freddy's Fashion Mart.
"She's not pure enough, so cast her out! Pelt her with matzos and gefilte fish!"
Strawman argument. I don't have to respect or embrace Palin. That doesn't mean I'm calling for her to be shunned. That she embraces the Pauls still is just an obvious example of how ignorant and easily influenceable she is and remains.

Israel needs real friends. Not fake friends who just use pro-Israel sentiment to rally their fanatical fans
"Strawman argument. I don't have to respect or embrace Palin. That doesn't mean I'm calling for her to be shunned."

No, it's a Swindleman argument. You dismissed her in front of puke Lefties on FB with "Palin's a joke," and you've repeated it here. You solicit derision for her, not disagreement. You're saying "Pay no attention to that lightweight."

She's no joke. She went from fisherwoman to housewife to city council to mayor to governor, never having lost a debate - and she's faced tougher foes than Biden in debate. She didn't do it by hitching herself to a political star through marriage like Hillary, she didn't fund her campaigns through a rich daddy and hubby, like Pelosi. No, she did it in a way that deserves respect.

She was the only bright light in 2008. Her convention speech was glorious, and it roused! It also made the Dems wet their pants, so they went after her and her family with axes and blowtorches.

The Dems all do to her just what you complain the Lefties do to you on FB - attack the person, not the ideas. Then you turn around and do it to Sarah. Not "I'm angry at her for her continued support of Rand," but "She's a joke."

What are thinking Lefties going to derive from your little mal mot? That smears work. "We've got a PJM columnist peeing all over Palin! Call Charles CK and tell him to make some more retard jokes about her kid!"

Please stop it.
Yes, I do regard her as a lightweight. Yes, I do regard her as a joke. No, I don't have to respect her. The problem is both her character as a person and her lack of serious ideas. She's just a Tea Party Oprah at this point to make people feel good about themselves while she makes money. She is not doing ANYTHING of consequence and in all honesty should not have been selected for VP.

I don't care what "thinking Lefties" think nor am I trying to appeal to Sarah Palin fans. I am not going to stop it and in fact the more you troll me about my insufficient adoration of your idol Sarah Palin the more I will be inspired to blog against her.
Oh, and you don't know diddly about the 18th Century Enlightenment, either. Who put the Old Testament back into Christianity, Rousseau? (Oliver Cromwell was the one who invited Jews back to Britain.)

Here's the finest book on politics I've ever read. This one's out of print and pricey, so you'd best borrow Roger's copy. (No! Back in print, you lucky duck):

"Oh, and you don't know diddly about the 18th Century Enlightenment, either."
This isn't the way to start a comment if you want me to care about anything that follows it. I'm familiar with Stove. But it sounds like you and I use the term "Enlightenment" differently.
Sorry. I like a little give and take, thought you did as well:

"Glad to see I've upset you by poking at one of your false gods."

Don't get all missish, I didn't know diddly about the Enlightenment till I read Stove, either. You asserted on FB that Jewish values were returned to Christianity by the Enlightenment. I certainly don't know diddly about that, tell me how it came about.

I like give and take too, but it's hard to tell the friends from the trolls sometimes.

"You asserted on FB that Jewish values were returned to Christianity by the Enlightenment."
I don't recall making that assertion or holding that position. There were varieties of Christianity that had an Old Testament foundation before the Enlightenment. See David Gelertner's book "Americanism: The Fourth Great Western Religion" for examples.
"Without the Enlightenment both religions don't have enough of a Jewish base to them."

It was in the first installment you wrote that. Substitute "Reformation" for "Enlightenment," and I'd agree. The Protestant Reformation wasn't all beer and potato chips, but it made the Roman Catholic Church straighten up and fly right as well.

The French Enlightenment was pernicious.
This statement "You asserted on FB that Jewish values were returned to Christianity by the Enlightenment" is not the same as this statement:

It's not as simple as the Enlightenment bringing back the Jewish base to all of Christianity. Enlightenment political philosophy (the English strain that took root in America) did have a basis in the Old Testament. Machiavelli named Moses the greatest and archetypal of leaders. And Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt was wanted for the seal.

My point is that without that understanding of Moses and what distinguished the Israelites from the idolaters surrounding them then religions and political philosophies go off the rails and become idolatrous themselves. And Enlightenment thought of the classical liberal variety is one way to avoid that.

I agree with you about French revolution -- I'm a big fan of Ann Coulter's writing about it in Demonic.
Which Enlightenment writers are you talking about? Read somewhere that Knox, Calvin, Luther all read Hebrew. Locke was Cromwell's crony, pre-Enlightenment.

Creationist Coulter does write swell books. I first read about the Cambrian in one of hers.
I'll just say it one more time. Dave, keep up the Good Fight.
I certainly will! Thanks. Feel free to let me know which Good Fight I should focus on next. Plenty of battlegrounds here.
What's the point of even engaging these people? I try my best not to. I'm in my 60's and I consider what time I have left as precious. What I do find though, is that there is no substitute for fact-to-face discussions when these types of differences arise. Anti-American progressives, liberals (or whatever you wish to call them) tend to be a lot less brave when there isn't ether separating them from me.
"What's the point of even engaging these people?"
Research for the long war ahead. And many of those reading won't be ideologically firm. They can benefit by seeing a proud patriot in comparison to postmodern self-hating Americans.

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." - Sun Tzu
The word that comes to mind is humility, or the lack thereof, with your protagonist's. It's a great word. From the Latin word "humus" or ground (i.e. keeping you feet firmly on the ground)
The key attribute of humility is truth, about yourself, the talents you have and don't have, and a self awareness that you don't know everything. How can you learn and continue to grow, if you think you already know everything?

That's what comes across most pointedly. Far from being open minded, they come across as arrogant and self-righteous. And confronted with counter arguements to their worldview, they resort to invective and the true nastiness comes out. Frankly, I don't know how you find the time or patience to suffer these kind of people.
"Frankly, I don't know how you find the time or patience to suffer these kind of people."
I'm surrounded. And when I know that I can probably get a few articles out of it or that it's useful for research on the books that I'm writing then that helps too.

But yes, your analysis about the lack of humility is spot on.
Wrapping up, I have no idea what you believe. I salute you for arguing with Lefties, though it is a masochistic exercise. Yet in some of your comments, aside from ridiculing Palin (I'm not a fan of hers, but she's not a 'joke'), you describe yourself as supporting liberal causes around the world. Then you knock Romney for not being a real conservative. I understand this is in the context of free-flowing arguments while you're 'all hetted up' but still...in regards to comments you made in the thread for your first piece, I'm glad you're not 'stuck' on atheism, but just keep in mind life is like learning a musical instrument - there is always a new phase, always a new sense of 'having gotten there', and then realizing there is much more yet to learn...for all of us. That you are an intellectual striver is admirable, that you are still in the clouds in some ways a reflection of your age, I believe. Good luck with your endeavors.
1. Palin is a joke. She was one of the boosters of Rand Paul when he was trying to get elected and she still declares herself on Team Rand. She's not a serious person -- she's a media personality trying to make as much money as possible by playing the role of Tea Party Oprah. And I say this after spending a couple years defending her and warming to the possibility of what a Palin presidency could be.

2. The word "liberal" doesn't mean the same thing in all contexts, as I'm sure you know. When I used the word liberal above in point 11 to describe myself and my objectives for the Middle East I further specified, articulating that the liberalism I was talking about was the classical liberalism, of the 18th century, explicitly grounded in the Enlightenment. This is synonymous with today's libertarian-conservatism and Tea Party movement. I despise the insistence of so many political activists to see everything primarily in the context of the baby boomers' "liberal" vs "conservative" culture war.

3. "Then you knock Romney for not being a real conservative." He isn't. This isn't a man who's dedicated to furthering a conservative (aka classical liberal/Tea Party/founding fathers/constitution/America 3.0) agenda. He was just a bland, inoffensive politician with flexible principles who was a nice guy with a pleasant family. That's not a knock on him. He just has a different political value system, other life priorities, and in the grand scheme of things hardly the worst among them.

4. "That you are an intellectual striver is admirable, that you are still in the clouds in some ways a reflection of your age, I believe."
I really resent when people condescend down to me like this because they have a few more decades of life than me. Communication can really only happen between equals and when you put yourself above me it causes you to misinterpret a lot of what I say, as I've noted above. And then you give me basically useless, cliched advice.

I'll be 30 next year -- what used to be regarded as well into adulthood -- and I've already come to accept that plenty (though not all) in older generations are bigoted toward younger generations, painting all of us with one broad brush and thinking that we're all your intellectual inferiors, permanent children.

Only once you start treating us as worthy of equal respect will we start listening to anything you say. I'm not a college student and you're not my professor.
Well, I met Sarah P at a book signing and became infatuated with her intellect. Maybe it's because I'm much older (50+), but I think not.
However your relative youth has nothing to do with your propositions, which I find compelling, and most of all fun to read.

I would never dismiss someone only in their 20s and 30s. I always reflect on Alexander and Octavia (Augustus) and their wisdom and capability.

Keep up the good fight. Our country will continue to be in all out hands.
Thank you so much for your kind words and support.
Good reply!
"she's a media personality trying to make as much money as possible"

Oh, the horrors! I suppose you work for free, or that you'd get all high-minded and turn down a 7-figure TV contract.

Life tosses you lemons, make lemonade. That's what they really hate about her and her family. They smeared her children - her CHILDREN - and made them famous, then Bristol cashes in on DWTS and they froth at the mouth. One of Gore's kids caught drunk-driving during 2000 campaign, but Gore felt free to do the October surprise of Bush's old DUI record - knowing the GOP electorate would never countenance smearing family. Too bad for poor little Gore - no Dancing With the Stars for the little lush.

It's good to have Sarah out there. She voices good opinions, and she never turns on her own.
She is STILL a supporter of Rand Paul. I could have forgiven her if she admitted that she mad a mistake with supporting him. I cannot now. She had the opportunity to be a political leader. Instead she took the easy way out by becoming a feel good celebrity who just tells Tea Partiers what they want to hear.

If I got to the point in my life where someone offered me a 7-figure TV contract I think I'd know of a lot more meaningful things to do with my life than being a talking head on TV. Sarah Palin did not. I do not have to respect her personally or her ideas.
It was pretty good for a while, but I don't see what's wrong with hating Bin Laden or others who deliberately murder innocents. Different thing from hating political opponents. If you think it keeps you cleaner somehow, go ahead. (Have you seen the P.U. vid on capital punishment? I think Dennis hates the killers of that family he describes, and I'm there with him.)

Where you lost me was when you trashed Palin to show what a reasonable guy you were. Pathetic. (She writes better than you, and thinks more clearly.) Get Pragertopia and catch Limbaugh live - he's the father of Talk Radio, the sine qua non of Prager's show, and he's wonderful.
I disagree with Dennis on the death penalty. And I dislike when he gets into his rants about how it's alright to hate murderers and other evil people. That's fine for him and for others who want to embrace his particular variation of Jewish theology. But I live by Judeo-Christian values and a Hermetic theology. I still see murderers and those on death row in the same way I did when I was still a teenage Christian. I still oppose the death penalty today because I believe it shows the glory of God a million times more for the most horrific of murderers to someday have a prison conversion that transforms them. Even if the chance of it is low, when it does happen it is something to be celebrated and encouraged. Prisons are rightfully dark, scary places. The lights in them should be prisoners who convert within and become God's lights. That possibility is infinitely better than executions, which with our technology today are no longer necessary to protect people from dangerous murderers.

I will trash Palin as much as I want. She is not a political or cultural ally of mine anymore. She promoted the rise of Rand Paul when he was campaigning and has allied with "Team Rand" now. I'm done with her.
Yes, I've seen it. I've listened to enough Prager shows and seen enough of his videos and attended enough of his real lectures and read all of his books. He's one of my favorites and a core influence but I don't agree with him on everything. You mean to tell me you agree with him 100%? I suppose you agree with Palin 100% too? I really appreciate Prager but I probably agree with only about 75-85% of any given show, and about that percentage of his ideas and approach.
"I will trash Palin as much as I want."

Yawn. Too much time on FB with the lib-kids, Dave. "I'll say whatever I like, don't you trample my speech rights!" Of course you can voice your opinions, just don't whine when it's pointed out that they're stupid.

Huccome we never hear lefties distancing themselves from Pelosi? Sneer "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it," and they're silent, or they change the subject. They never feel compelled to trash Nancy in order to get YOU to think better of them. Ditto Slow Joe Biden. For an insincere pat on the head from an old college pal, you alienate a big segment of people who largely agree with you. (Have your free speech, but don't tell us trashing Sarah is a tip for effective debate.)

As for cap punishment, watch that vid again. "Those who are kind to the cruel are cruel to the kind." (Talmud paraphrase.) Murderers often kill again in prison - keeping murderers there is one big reason why they're "dark, scary" for credit-card fraudsters. "Lifers" often get parole after 20, and come out to murder some more. Or they're furloughed, like Willie Horton. You want to give a murderer time to convert? Then volunteer to lock him in your own basement, but don't endanger strangers with your misplaced compassion.
If some people want to judge me as stupid because I don't idolize Sarah Palin then so be it. She's the one who's been supporting the antisemitic paleolibertarian Rand Paul.

Idolatry is against one of the 10 commandments just as murder is. Glad to see I've upset you by poking at one of your false gods.
Well done David. Really well done. I gotta say I'm shocked you don't listen to Limbaugh. The guy is hilarious as well as whip smart. Not shocked to see you're a Prager guy. So am I. He's easily one of the wisest guys I've ever heard. Love him even when I don't agree with him. Anyway, again, a job well done from an entertainment and enlightenment perspective!
I don't have anything against Limbaugh and tend to like what he says when I see various clips and highlights online or when I read transcripts from parts of his show. Talk radio in general just isn't my preferred format and wasn't a big inspiration in my ideological transformation.
I can agree with this. I listen to talk radio because it provides good background noise while I'm at work. I don't listen to it at any other time.

My ideological conversion just came when I got sick and tired of all the vile and hateful the "tolerant Left" were saying about Bush. I was thinking to myself at the time that if these people are so tolerant how in the world could they say such hateful stuff about a person. That woke me up to the utter hypocrisy and irony that the Left blatantly engages in when it comes to stopping anything remotely conservative and advancing their agenda.
I have it on while working too -- usually for six hours while I'm doing the morning editing. Prager and Ben Shapiro are the best.
I have it on all the time. Both jobs I work allows me the freedom to listen to the radio which is nice. Ben Shapiro has a radio show? Didn't know that, he's a good dude.
It's on from 6 AM to 9 AM here in LA on KRLA, right before Prager. I think you can watch online. He's fantastic. A few more years of practice and developing his style and he'll be better than Prager. Ben's a friend of mine and I've often described him as our generation's Coulter, Breitbart, Limbaugh, and Prager rolled into one. He's both a very talented professional and a genuinely moral person trying to do good. I've rarely encountered this combination of skills in the LA conservative community so I try and encourage him as much as I can.
That's one hell of a mix. If you would have added Levin as a mixture the political landscape would probably implode. I'll have to give him a listen thanks for the heads up. BTW - My condolences on you having to live in LA.
You know, I like Levin -- I really need to listen to him more regularly. I think stylistically he and Ben are very different but values-wise they're certainly comparable.

Hey, it's my own fault that we're in LA! And it's not that bad -- there's a vibrant Hollywood conservative community.
You missed a golden opportunity here. You should'a pointed out that if you wear your girly golf shoes indoors you might scar up your gay friends' parquet floors and that may be the last dinner soiree you'll get an invite to....'>.......
1 2 Next View All