Charlie Martin

September 5, 2013 - 4:00 pm

shutterstock_144270811

Oh my, oh my, we’re all gonna die.

Or maybe it’s only people who live on the West Coast. Or people who eat Pacific Ocean fish. Or something.

Here’s the story, from a website called Natural News, and while I’d normally not link this sort of thing, in this case, hell, it’s pretty funny. Right up there with Infowars.

Here’s the key paragraphs:

(NaturalNews) Japan’s nuclear watchdog has now declared the leak of radioactive water from Fukushima a “state of emergency.” Each day, 300 tons of radioactive water seeps into the ocean, and it’s now clear that TEPCO has engage [sic] in a two-and-a-half-year cover-up of immense magnitude.

….

Just how out of control is the situation at Fukushima? It’s so out of control that TEPCO recently had to admit 10 of its workers were somehow — yeah, see if you can figure this out — sprayed with highly radioactive water while waiting for a bus.

Hold on, we’re coming to the punchline.

“The workers’ exposure above the neck was found to be as much as 10 becquerels per square centimeter,” reports Bloomberg.com

How exactly did highly radioactive water manage to find its way to a bus stop in the first place? [My emphasis]

Long-time PJM readers will remember I did a series of articles on Fukushima at the time of the tsunami and accident in March 2011. The gist of the articles was that you should worry about the tsunami, not the reactor accident, and in fact two years later it was being reported that sure enough the radioactivity released at Fukushima wasn’t as bad as people had feared. Just as I’d predicted at the time of the accident.

Oh, it wasn’t widely reported, but it was reported.

Press reporting on radiation, however, hasn’t improved since I wrote “The only thing to fear is the sensationalist reporting that has the world panicked.” So, let’s look at the latest “emergency” and see what really happened.

I wonder how much damage is done to the human population by our lack of advancement in energy production by:
1. Manipulative environmentalists.
2. Their well meaning but ignorant followers.
3. Scientifically ignorant media producers.

I posit the damage they do is, and has been, vast. Environmentalists may the single most misguided and destructive special interest group on earth.
I have heard second hand that there are estimates that the stress of the evacuation of the residents around Fukushima will result in more deaths than the radiation exposure of leaving them in their homes would have.

By several orders of magnitude.
I finally got a chance to talk with a friends father who teaches safety at Hanford. My main concern was understanding the long term effects to people and the planet. Thank you Charlie for pushing me to become more informed. I stand by my previous interpretation. The Banana comparison is what set the tone for the whole article for me...... misguided. The solution is not to do nothing. The event is just more important than Charlie's prediction being accurate. No need to be combative. I just found the take away from the article lacking empathy, misguided solution, typical american armchair from the perspective of our friends and family in Japan. Charlie Thanks for your time.
1. Manipulative environmentalists.
2. Their well meaning but ignorant followers.
3. Scientifically ignorant media producers.

From my Arm Chair Perspective this is Arm Chair Journalism. I think are neighbors are in a tight spot and I thought the article would be solution seeking. For life in that area the sky is falling.
Oh for Pete's sake. Who reported jeff's comment?
From your arm chair perspective you're not well informed. I got numbers. You got nothin'.
Thanks for putting that into perspective. Combined with your earlier article, it helps a great deal.
300 tons of water is just over 60,000 gallons. Now dilute that in the Pacific Ocean and one realizes how mini-Bq the whole affair is.

But people like to scream the sky is falling to advance their pet cause via fear.
I know, seriously. The water release was primarily contaminated with tritium. The OMG 2200 mSv dose rate is from a beta emitter, which is to say, shieldable with a piece of paper.
Or a thin film of...water.
Well, yeah, although this beta emitter is apparently tritium,ie, hydrogen, either dissolved or as T2O. so the film of water is the problem.

AND the solution, I suppose.

By several orders of magnitude.