Sarah Hoyt

August 28, 2013 - 3:00 pm

shutterstock_131773748

If you follow the link to the New York Post, prepare to have your heart broken. There are no winners in this story. None.

At nine, Chaneya Kelly accused her dad of raping her. He was sentenced to forty years in jail. Now an adult, married, and a mother, she says her mother threatened her into making that accusation, her dad is innocent, and she’d like to see him set free.

In her 2002 letter, Chaneya said she should be the one behind bars.

“I feel guilty when I talk about it. I feel that I should be in prison instead of you,” she wrote.

In another letter, dated Oct. 2, 2006, Chaneya said she wished she “could change the past,” and noted the irony “that mommy would have been locked up for perjury charges” if Chaneya had only told the truth. That letter is signed “Daddy’s Big Girl, Neya.”

The insanity of assuming that any child making that accusation is telling the truth; the insanity of the idea that any accusation of abuse must have truth at its core is a sort of madness many — aware of the creation of false memories — are willing to shake off.  But there is something else at work here: that it doesn’t seem to have occurred to anyone that a mother (or any other adult with control of the child) could use the child as a weapon in a marital dispute or a divorce.

That is a form of blindness that must be unique to our times.  You could call it “mothers are always saintly.”  Future generations might laugh at us for this, but for this woman there is nothing funny.

At least, to quote from the Post, one of the actors in this tragedy is acting in a sane and responsible way:

But Chaneya yesterday told The Post that her dad doesn’t blame her, saying that when she first visited him in jail, “the first thing he did was hug me and tell me that he loved me and that none of this is my fault.”

*****
Photo illustration courtesy Shutterstock.com ©Naypong

Sarah Hoyt lives in Colorado with her husband, two sons and too many cats. She has published Darkship Thieves and 16 other novels, and over 100 short stories. Writing non-fiction is a new, daunting endeavor. For more on Sarah and samples of her writing, look around at Sarah A. Hoyt.com or check out her writing and life blog at According to Hoyt.com.

This is part of the march to a Soviet-style pseudosocialist police state.

Notice that it is possible to send someone to prison for decades based on the uncorroborated word of one person with no accompanying physical evidence.

Note also that especially if the accuser is a child, her/his word as accepted as truth, and children are encouraged to snitch on everyone including parents.

Does any of this sound familiar?

It should. These were part and parcel of Stalin's Soviet Union. It was routine to send hapless people to the gulag or even the executioner based on nothing more than being denounced or accused of crimes against the state by a neighbor or family member. Millions were purged or incarcerated under brutal conditions there in the 1930s based on one person's claims.

And children were especially encouraged to snitch. Schools drummed it into their heads to denounce their parents or others in the family to authorities, leading to more charges and show trials for "sabotage" or other crimes to earn the label "enemies of the state". Look into the example of Pavlik Morozov sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Now in the US a claim of rape against a woman or any sex crime against a child is likewise all it takes. Just a claim. No nagging physical proof or other corroboration needed. Combined with the other changes leftism, feminism, and other unhealthy isms have wrought since the Woodstock era, the US is becoming USSR Part Deux, only with even better technology to spy on everybody. All the better for future allegations, denunciations, and show trials... And you know they're coming.
Having been falsely accused of physically abusing my son just weeks before my ex filed for divorce, had a PFA (non-criminal, no statement of guilt) issued against me, having my son recant the abuse allegation, and now the same son wants to live with me exclusively . . . I can possibly help.

They don't care if the child recants. They don't care if the child is older, has full faculties, states the "abuse" never happened.

The system is only legitimate/respected if it never or rarely makes a mistake.

So, you see, the system has a lot to lose if it starts to accepts all the recants.

I survived. My son(s) both want to live with me and I will pursue it in good time. Others are destroyed by the system.
I have a good friend that lived this nightmare for not allowing his 16 year old stepdaughter to sleep over her boyfriend's. In time the girl went back to the judge and confessed she was lying but my friend is now in the state sex offender list for life. For my life I don't understand why the perjury laws don't apply to that little &%$#@!
Nine is an age where children can start taking some responsibility for their behavior. Yes, the girl was guilty of false accusation.

There is a salient point in this article about blindness towards mothers, but there's a blindness toward children as well. They are not as helpless as people think and ignoring that through prejudice on account of age hurts people of all ages. It's hurts their schooling, their safety, everything.
Why is the dad still in jail. They should let him out and have the mother serve the rest of his time, or at least all the time he has already had to serve.
If she isn't charged with anything, that is a crime in itself.
I remember I was playing physically with my nephew once when we was about 5 years old. At one point I put my arms around him and hugged him. He said, "Don't hug me, or I will say you 'lested me!" He had been coached about molestation somewhere--probably by his school or his parents. The people who were trying to protect him were perhaps overzealous, and I can see that it's hard to know where to draw the line when explaining something like this to a kid. He was confused about the nature of molestation, obviously, but understood that he had a weapon he could use against adults. All of this occurred just after some poor schoolbus driver had been falsely accused by a bunch of kids. I took my hands off of him and never played with him that way again.
Too bad that mother is not in jail for up to 40 years.
This is part of the march to a Soviet-style pseudosocialist police state.

Does any of this sound familiar?

This is an outrage. We have kids lying thru their teeth and people in authority taking it as gospel.
Another prog policy that has backfired with tragic results but they don't care it is not their life.
It hasn't backfired, it's working exactly as planned.

We need to stop giving these people credit for acting in good faith.
What the hell is wrong with New York in this case? The NY Post article says that Chaneya and her mom both recanted shortly after conviction in 1999. How has this man been kept in jail for 14 years when both accusers admitted to perjury?
DA's office does not want to give up the win. Dept. of Corrections and guard unions encourage long sentences which ensure employment and union dues. The only lower form of life than a convict is a corrections officer. Wheels of Justice(government) turn slowly if at all. If somebody lets this guy go and he reoffends it will stain a career -- careerism over justice. Nobody in criminal justice wants to change the world, they just want a pension so they can play golf ever day when they retire. It is not like free enterprise where you need to excel, you will die.

The system is only legitimate/respected if it never or rarely makes a mistake.

That's what I was wondering.
Oh my God. This is so awful. How precious of that man to reassure his daughter. What her mother did was as bad as the abuse she accused him of. I hope they put her away for the rest of her life. Horrible.
Does he get a pass if he kills his ex-wife on the day of his release from prison? The man's life is ruined beyond repair. He cannot cleanse his record of this, ever. Because the state convicted him based upon false witness, does it now bear the responsibility for the rest of his life?

Or will he be treated as those whom the swat team rends apart and destroys their homes and lives? Oopsy, sorry.
1 2 Next View All