Orange Is the New Black‘s Creator Doesn’t Seem to Be a Big Fan of Men…

Jenji Kohan probably didn't have a date to prom...

Becky Graebner

August 14, 2013 - 12:00 pm
tumblr_m0yq3p9agJ1rqzuk1o1_500

Well said, Sister.

Following up her dissection of Netflix’s House of Cards, Becky Graebner now critiques the streaming internet TV company’s new offering from the creator of Showtime’s Weeds. See her previous posts in this series:

July 24: Orange Is the New Black: Can a Women-in-Prison Sitcom Succeed?

July 31: 4 Dumb TV Cliches I Hope Orange Is the New BlackAvoids

August 7: Piper Chapman: Dislike-able Protagonist AND Future Heroine?

****

Growing up, little girls aren’t huge fans of little boys. Boys tend to be sticky, they smell, and they are usually annoying: stomping on sand castles and flushing Barbies down the toilet. However, there’s a serious transformation in the way girls view boys as they both age — eventually, we realize they aren’t all that bad.

At age five, little girls are convinced that boys have cooties and the precocious kindergartener starts to believe that her sex is superior to boys: girls rule, boy drool. However, by fourteen, girls are poring over magazines, reading about how to do their hair and how to act around young men they may find “cute.” Pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio decorate their walls.

By college, girls have just as many male friends as female friends and they’re even starting to think about marrying a guy (if that’s their preference). At this point, girls have come a long way from their cootie-averse days in pre-k. Men… they’re alright — they aren’t all jerks.

Despite this usual change of heart regarding boys — and the natural admission that your brother isn’t ALL that bad — it seems like Jenji Kohan, the writer/creator of Orange Is the New Black, decided to glaze over the positives of men and chose to write all of the show’s male characters as loser-lying-creepy manipulators. She probably still thinks men have cooties.  Essentially, men = bad in this show, and Kohan shows the many facets of “male evil” in her male characters.  Nobody is spared…

Do people actually watch this garbage?
Nada, zero, no interest in this show. But, it's interesting that your assessment of the misandry in the show tracks closely with what I've noticed in the new show, Under The Dome.

EVERY evil character in that show is a white male. EVERY good character is a woman. There is exactly 2 neutral male characters, one a white teenager, one a young black, and one barely neutral female.

When I first saw ads for this show, and read a description of its premise, I was intrigued. Then I found out it is loosely based on a true story. This made me even more interested, so I read up on the story behind this show and the person this story happened to. I was especially curious to know how someone could be successfully prosecuted for drug smuggling a decade after the fact. (I'm still wondering that today actually.)

Turns out that Piper Kerman, whom the show is based on, has tried to turn her federal felony conviction (for smuggling heroin and laundering money for a drug cartel) into a cottage industry. She doesn't quite try to call herself a victim, but you can tell she covets that claim. Care to guess the politics of a daughter of privilege (which she makes clear early in her book by dropping the name of her alma mater, which I shall not repeat here) who decided to go slumming and became involved in a lesbian relationship with a dangerous and unsavory woman, for whom she smuggled drugs and laundered money?

Here's a hint, starts with a P and is heavily influenced by Marxism.

Needless to say, she's an advocate of "prison reform." (I myself am an advocate of prisoner reform.) She's also eager to convince all who will listen that statutes denying felons the right to vote are in truth an attempt to deny the vote to black Americans.

In this she is very perceptive. I mean isn't it obvious that the racist creators of these laws, which were established many decades ago, knew well in advance that the crime rate among black Americans would explode in the mid 20th century. Knowing what the future would bring (cause of their magic mutant mind powers), these racists planned ahead and passed these laws, knowing that they would one day be used to keep the black man down. Then they cackled evilly and twirled their mustaches.

Needless to say, I won't be watching this show.
She's married to someone named Christopher Noxon. From her photos I'd surmise he puts a sack over her head before he kisses her.
"and they’re even starting to think about marrying a guy (if that’s their preference)"

That IS their preference, unless they have been warped by a molester or a generally sick society.
This is men's fault. They should have taken this gal to the sack more often, so she wouldnt be so bitter and alienated. Close your eyes and think of Western Civilization!
All those creepy men, yukkkk. Wait who raised them???? how could they turn out soooo bad? Propbably half these days in the great single mom household, so that cant be the problem. Hmmmm maybe the schools, noooooo they are run by great liberal guides to adulthood. I just dont know, hmmmmmm.
Walt
Do people actually watch this garbage?
I assume that the picture associated with this article is that of Jenji Kohan. Please forgive me if I'm wrong or I'm being rude but surely that can't be her real nose.

Here's a hint, starts with a P and is heavily influenced by Marxism.

Needless to say, I won't be watching this show.
" (I myself am an advocate of prisoner reform.)"

I myself am an advocate of prisoner punishment. I'll leave the reform to God.
Pheminism?
I figured this out early in Weeds. A male character acted like a man and the female protagonist who had been sleeping with him instantly hated him. He was killed very shortly thereafter....a very telling fantasy there.
I enjoyed Weeds but there is NOTHING to enjoy on this Ode to a carpet munging mess.
1 2 Next View All