Kids of Tragedy: Suzi Quatro Regrets Her Abortion

The pioneering female rocker never followed the feminist party line.

Kathy Shaidle

July 22, 2013 - 7:00 am

SuziQuatroREX_228x341
Joan Jett once joked that her biggest disappointment in life was finding out that Suzi Quatro was straight.

Now, I’m a flaming heterosexual, but believe me: lots of other Gen-X girls (gay or not) had pictures of Quatro stuck on their bedroom walls.

The tomboy bassist made an indelible impression on Happy Days as “Leather Tuscadero,” but her music career was never as huge over here as it was in the UK.

Even so, long before Siouxsie Sioux, Chrissie Hynde or even Joan Jett herself, Quatro’s success sent a message:

Yeah, I wear tight leather jumpsuits; so do the guys. But you don’t have to look or sound like a Barbie Doll to have a hit single or two.

When she posed for a Penthouse centerfold, she even kept her clothes on.

Not that Quatro considered herself a feminist, mind you.

In 1973, she called the “women’s liberation movement”:

… completely hypocritical. Their leaders stand up there and say, ‘We’re individuals blab blab blab,’ and yet they’re all in a group following like sheep. For me, I cannot put the two together. … I’m talking about the masses that follow [the movement's leaders who get press attention] and who have nothing at all to say. It gives it all a very phoney light. I hope they can find a way to apply it to their own lives, because grouping together takes away the whole idea of Women’s Lib.

So it isn’t that surprising that Suzi Quatro has now publicly admitted that she regrets her 1968 abortion — not a popular stance among today’s petulant pro-choice feminists:

‘When I get to those Pearly Gates, hopefully, this is the sin I will pay for. I am so sorry for it,” she said. “Years later, it still comes back to haunt me, and I don’t think I will ever get over it.”

thank you for your honesty on topics that are often where woman's lib say that an abortion is just the removal of a mass of cells, sort of like a cyst.

Seems that those leaders can keep deluding people, but brave souls will speak the truth.
I still love her tunes. I've got most of them on my play list. She used to.... well never mind what she used to. But I definitely had a poster and it wasn't from the "Happy Days" time frame.
Oh, I almost forgot, I use "She's in love with You" as the ringtone for my wife. Sappy I know, but....
She had her donkey pudding and wants to eat it too.

Leather and Pinky Tuscadero were the all-time most over-the-top stupid camp phony fake-cool figures in the history of TV. I enjoy watching Pinky like the worst Godzilla film ever made except I my cheeks never turned red in shame watching Godzilla's son. I'm surprised Pinky and Leather didn't make it to Japan to be ultra-cool Mothra twins. If Happy Days had a hind end I'd kick it and then throw it in a river.
Not her fault. Blame the producers. They tried capitalize on Fonzie's unexpected popularity in the most obvious, crass, stupid way possible. Leather. Pinky. Chachi. All made in Fonzie's image. Nobody bought it.

And that's enough time wasted thinking about Happy Days - at least for this year.
Happy Days is a wound in America's psyche that'll never heal. American Graffiti beget Happy Days, beget Laverne and Shirley beget Mork and Mindy beget Joanie Loves Chachi beget Potsie singing, the never actually tough Fonzie, plus 2 more spin-offs, cartoons, and the cast getting slammed on merchandising revenues. A visit to Monster Island and their skills would've been complete as Darth might say.
"... the never actually tough Fonzie..."

Personally I'd love to see a miniseries where the Sons of Anarchy roll into Milwaukee and the only thing standing between them and the town is Arthur Fonzarelli.

For the record, my money's on Jax in that throwdown.
...Sons of Anarchy...?
Shoot, Captain Kangaroo (a former Marine) would have no trouble with the Fonz.
Thanks. That's a great song that I never heard.