American? Israeli? Who Am I?

Digging deep, I try to explain where I stand.

P. David Hornik

July 21, 2013 - 9:00 am

PJ-America1This year around 4th of July time, as in previous years, a few people asked me if I was doing anything to celebrate. Although some American Jewish immigrants in Israel hold 4th of July events, I said that, as usual, I had no such plans.

Why not? For one thing, I no longer see myself as part of the American polity. My visits to the States now occur only every few years and are quite brief. I feel myself to be foreign there, not knowing the society and its ways nearly as well as I do in Israel.

But what’s wrong with a little “ethnic” nostalgia? Why not go to a little 4th of July party and recall the ethos and ideals of the old country? Isn’t it where you were born and lived the first thirty years of your life?

To answer all that, I need to dig deeper.

I am both an American and an Israeli. On the rare occasion when someone asks how I could love two countries I ask the if they loved both their parents.
And, if they did, did they not think the love for one enhanced the love for the other?
Both the Pilgrims and the Founders were imbued with a deep respect for the Bible and they fully acknowledged its Jewish roots. They were better versed than most today.
To love the principals upon which both nations, The United States and israel, were founded, is morally correct and important.
To see the mess and missed opportunities current leadership of both countries has caused is what's difficult.
Israel is one of the most important pieces of land in the world. History will converge there. It is God's land. Why do so many hate Israel? It goes back to Abraham. It all comes down to to one thing: Israel or her enemies.
I appreciate your writing on this subject Mr. Hornik. I always find honest accounts of political journeys interesting.

I dont find many American Jews living in the US, who refrain from waving the Israeli flag though, I suppose a few do.

I think you did the honrable thing. We have way too many hyphenated Americans whose loyalties lay elsewhere living in the US. If they did the honorable thing as you did, we would be the better for it.
David,
I think your sentiments are legitimate. I'll leave others to sort out what they mean.

Americans are getting fatigued. Our government is not for us and we are starting to feel it is against us. You probably didn't pick the best time to tell us that someone like Reagan was the last straw regarding your decision to move. For many Americans, a "Reagan" would give us a reason to stay.
Listen to yourselves. One of the biggest complaints about illegal Immigration here in the States is that they show no loyalty to the country they have invaded.They proudly fly the Mexican flag but spit on ours. Now you are degrading a man who has made the decision to lawfully move to another country and to show respect for it. He is now an Israeli citizen. It is his right to support his new country.

In this piece he has described his reasons and feelings for moving as well as his thoughts on this country. No where in this did I see any animosity for the states but you do have to admit the Jews here do get a bum rap many times. That he feels he is happier in Israel, more power to him. At least he has moved to a country that has remained our friend even though we have back stabbed them a few times in their short/long history.
I think, that if America had "back stabbed" Israel, Israel would no longer exist.

"Now you are degrading a man who has made the decision to lawfully move to another country and to show respect for it. He is now an Israeli citizen. It is his right to support his new country."

No, you have missed the point. What upsets me, and I'm sure, others, is that this man, raised in America, who has moved to a country which, in large part only EXISTS, because of American goodwill, won't celebrate the 4th of July, even a little bit, and, in fact, writes a column on an AMERICAN website, to rub it in! That's the point.

Way to insult the only country that would go to war to KEEP YOU ALIVE, Mr. Hornik!!

i, for one, am very glad you left. Please, do us ignorant and predjudiced Americans a favor, and let us NEVER HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN.

You have I hope renounced your American citizenship. I'd hate for you to continue to carry the burden of divided loyalties one more teeny tiny step. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt in high school by some bigots. You may be surprised to find out that many people in high school get their feelings hurt, most get over it. If what Reagan said to Begin upset you, do yourself a favor and don't read what Eisenhower said about Israel's 1956 Suez adventure, you'll get the flutters. From the very founding of the state of Israel, America has been there as an ally. Israel currently receives about 3 billion in aid from America annually. You're welcome. You were born here and nurtured here but hey, gratitude shmattitude. I notice that by publishing on this AMERICAN website you still like making money here. Isn't it somewhere in the Old Testiment "Sharper than a serpents tooth the ingratitude of a child." Good Luck, God Bless, and the next time you drag yourself over here, do it on an Israeli passport.
Condemn those who come to live here if you like, but try to get the history a little closer to reality. The US gave Israel very little help in real terms until LBJ. He then broke Eisenhower's pledge about the Gulf of Aqaba - had it been honored, there may not have been a Six-Days' war. David's history is right. The victory in 1967 was followed by the first openly pro-Israel Administration, Nixon's. Even so, Nixon and Kissinger threatened Meir successfully in '73, told her not to use the air force on the massed Egyptian and Syrian forces. So one has little to do with the other.
Very well. I shall instruct my American forces, to join up with Hezbollah, etc., and give them a hand. Have fun fighting THAT war. Don't worry, it will be over quick.

LOVE how all the help America has given you, is next to nothing, because of this or that bit of ancient history. I will inform my Congressman to vote accordingly.

Wow, talk about thin skin Xiaoding. You more or less play in to Israel's fears of, G-d forbid, *accepting* America's wonderful largesse (and thank G-d, and the USA, for it!).

Larry's point is w/r/t history. Agree or disagree with it, but stay in the same ring. Look what your reaction is: since you disagree, you threaten with "informing your congressman." What, that those "stiff-necked and loathsome Jews are unappreciative of our wonderful aid?"

Why not read the current-Ambassador-to-the-US-from-Israel's (Michael Oren's) most excellent book on the '67 war (Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East) -- it talks, in passing, about all of these issues and does so with "only" thousands of direct-source footnotes. It's a truly phenomenal book -- and exciting as hell to read if you're interested.

--FF
I'm a hyphenated American too.
After reading this, I think I'll take my American money and benefits and move back to Europe.
"At the time, though, the Reagan administration came down heavily on Israel. It backed a UN Security Council condemnation of the raid, suspended a shipment of warplanes to Israel, and cut off its access to crucial satellite intelligence.

The purpose of the raid, though, had been to remove a threat of nuclear annihilation of the Jewish state.

Who was my leader, Reagan or Begin?

Which was my country?"

You never heard of good cop, bad cop? Your reading of events is most obvious, and not in a good way.

How could the USA, keep it's embassies, it's intelligence assets, in the Middle East, without condemning Israel? Do you think Israel won the 6 day war without those? Who do you think warned them?

Pay no attention to the words of Presidents, watch the actions, look for the hidden motive, the rope-a-dope, that may be there.

Sending F-16's to Eygpt, seems crazy, on it's face. It's a payoff to the military. The trouble in Eygpt benifits Israel immensely. So does President Obama, every time he gives Israel a "hard time".
I do not trust the motives of President Obama vis-a-vis Israel.
I think my sentiments are shared by Bibi.