Scientists Have No Explanation for the Evaporative Qualities of My Low-Carb Brownies Recipe

One minute they're there and solid, and the next minute you have an empty pan. This quality gets worse in the presence of husbands or children.

Sarah Hoyt

June 24, 2013 - 7:35 am

Scientists have no explanation for the evaporative qualities of low-carb brownies. One minute they're there and solid, and the next minute you have an empty pan.  This quality gets worse in the presence of husbands or children.

About three years ago, my life came to an end. Okay, it wasn’t that tragic, but there was a certain element of tragedy to it.

My husband was diagnosed with diabetes and decided to radically cut carbs in his diet and take other measures to lose weight, so that he could control it without insulin. (This worked beyond our wildest dreams; my husband dropped over 100 pounds and is now not diabetic.)

At the time I’d been eating carb-free for about year, for health reasons. I have bad eczema, which had kicked into high gear as I got older.  Eczema has an alimentary and a stress trigger. My life at the time was stressful enough, and a system of elimination told me my alimentary triggers were sugars and carbs.

However, even though I had been reducing my carbs, my husband’s diagnosis affected one of my absolutely favorite activities and also the way I tell family and friends that I love them: cooking.

When I got married, I had absolutely no idea how to cook. My first day alone in the kitchen, I read the instructions on the back of a spaghetti box because I couldn’t figure out how it went from brittle and hard to soft and edible and delicious.

Twenty five years later, contriving new dishes and producing new fare, often from exotic locales, was the way I relaxed when writing was going badly, or when I felt insecure.

I cleaned my pantry of flours and sugars and my cupboard of honey and chocolate, and mourned each step of the way. From now on, we’d eat salads and meat only when there was room for creativity.

I’m here to tell you there is plenty of room.  Four years later, most people – even people invited to our table – would not realize we’re following a restricted diet.

Whether you have conditions that dictate an extremely reduced carb intake, or you’ve simply read Gary Taubes and would like to cut back a little, the question is always the same: “But what do you do for desserts?”

So, even though I’ve had some success with breads and pizza, I’m going to start sharing my recipes with the desserts.

This one is originally mine, though based on recipes for flourless walnut cake.

To grind and mix the ingredients I use an 8 cup food processor. I confess I bought it by mistake, because it was on sale and I didn’t visualize how large 8 cups was.  However, I’ve since found it useful for a lot of recipes.

What is the volume of a "scoop", please?

I don't know how much "two scoops" would be.

Thank you!
Couple of years ago (in Canada) there was a big "trend" (?) promoting vegan cooking/recipes. Much of it wasn't great. However I did come across a cookbook which was fantastic. The title is "Spilling the Beans" and uses beans in the recipes (yes, I know, it does not sound appetizing-- until you try it!) They had a recipe for brownies using beans -- and you would not know that these were healthy brownies. I highly recommend the book -- I believe it also won an award, in Canada, in 2011.
There's a recipe for chocolate mousse cake which has no flour. It's actually vegan. The richness comes from avocado. My grandchildren consider it the best chocolate cake in the world, and it's simple enough for the ten-year-old to make. If you're interested, I'll be happy to post the recipe.
Mine are in the oven now! Do you have a serving size and carb count on these?
According to Betty Crocker, the following adjustments are needed for plattslanders.

• Increase oven temperature by 25°F

• Increase oil (1 Tbsp to 1/2 cup)

• Decrease flour (1 Tbsp to 1/3 cup)

• Decrease water (1 Tbsp to 1/3 cup)

• Decrease bake time (up to 10 minutes)

The problem is that this recipe has most of its fat and water come from the same sources, cream and eggs.
Nuts and cream and WALNUTS. Walnuts are greasy. though I've been known to add butter to this, it helps.
Sounds worthy of a test baking. I and my wife prefer pecans to walnuts (she detests walnuts); any differences in recipe mixing and baking time using pecans?

Thanks.
Pecans are very high carb. Almond flour might do. You can buy it at the store. It's higher carb, but still low carb. However, if using almonds, definitely add in four tablespoons of butter, because otherwise it will be WAY too dry.