Roger Kimball

June 20, 2013 - 9:30 am

shutterstock_128949710

One of my least favorite occupations is sitting in a doctor’s office waiting for the chap with the stethoscope and prescription pad to appear. Waiting in the reception area is plenty tedious. But it’s somehow more tiresome, not to say more anxiety producing, after you’ve gotten past that first triage to sit alone and slab-like on some uncomfortable medical table staring at artwork a Holiday Inn would have turned up its nose at alongside posters describing all the things that can go wrong with your circulatory/pulmonary/etc., etc., systems. I’ve always hated those posters, not least because I cannot contemplate their descriptions of symptoms without beginning to feel that I, too, may be suffering from whatever grave malady they outline.

There is one other invariable species of decoration festooning the walls of examination rooms: the framed and mounted medical certificates proudly informing you that Dr. Sawbones is a graduate of Expensive University Medical School. I’ve never paid much attention to such advertisements, other than to be slightly, if also irrationally, reassured when the institution named on the document is Yale, Harvard, Columbia, or some such. A recent article in Crain’s Chicago Business, however, will make me scrutinize those declamatory escutcheons more fiercely. “Loyola Med School,” the headline reads, “To Admit Undocumented Students.”

“Undocumented.”  That’s big-government bureaucratese for “illegal alien.” So: Loyola Medical School will henceforth admit all those Juans, Ahmeds, and Mohammeds we’ve been reading about. “The university’s Stritch School of Medicine not only intends to waive legal residency as an admissions requirement for applicants but aims to offer a financing plan through a state agency.” Yes, that’s right, not only is Loyola admitting illegal aliens to its medical school, it is also handing you, the Illinois taxpayer, the bill for their education.

How did this happen? If you said “Barack Obama,” go to the head of the class and collect your diversity certificate, which is printed on sustainable paper created in a green, smoke-free, PETA-sanctioned workplace.  “Dean Linda Brubaker and Mark Kuczewski, director of the school’s Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics, decided to open the school to undocumented students after President Barack Obama signed an executive order in June 2012 making it possible for young adults brought to the United States as children to temporarily live and work legally in the U.S.”

"Big Pill to Swallow: Taxpayers to Pay for Illegal Immigrants’ Med School"

Yep, because gosh darn it, there just aren't enough Nidal Hasans to commit workplace violence.

It's part of the Obamacare plan - "I'm sorry, Mrs. Jones, but that operation is just too expensive, so. . . . we're sending you to Dr. Hasan. He'll take good care of you, and I mean good."
I would agree if it were *Catholic* charity and good works - i.e., Catholics using THEIR collection plate money to send poor people to med school. What the article describes is Catholics using MY tax money to send illegal immigrants to med school.

It's not charity if it's compulsory. It's not good works if you have no choice. But socialists don't understand that.
Wait a dosh garn minute...am I to believe that somehow, as an American born taxpaying citizen, I was expected to foot the bill to my sons schools (MIT & Caltech... & these degrees don't come cheap!) but illegals will now get the benefit of med schools for free? Are American born citizens now the biggest dupes and dopes? Looks like it. And even though now living in Israel, it is hard not to think that somehow I could have saved over 400,000 dollars had my sons been illegals. Surely the med school freebie will extend to all degrees, one encroachment at a time.

But seriously, did anyone expect a regime which has gone wild - with RINOS's in tow - to behave rationally, especially when it comes to a locked-in voter base to guaranteed a Demster victory for generations? - http://adinakutnicki.com/2012/10/20/what-are-the-chances-of-reining-in-a-lawbreaker-in-chief-who-abets-illegal-aliens-then-punishes-those-who-expose-said-lawbreaking-addendum-to-the-results-of-washingtons-dictator-in-chief-via/

NO taxation without (American) representation is eerily applicable in today's cesspool!

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
It's time to say "HELL NO!" to the Obama/Gang of Eight abomination of an immigration bill!
#Resist44 #GangOfEight #Gof8 #immigration #FastandFurious
#IAmAndrewBreitbart #DontBelieveTheLiberalMedia #PJNET
#teaparty #patriot #tcot
Votes have consequences. Try voting Republican. Your next opportunity is in 2014, Gringo.
Remember that one terror attack in Britain? You know the one carried out entirely by imported doctors ...
This really reminds me of the late Roman Period when they let in all the tribes on the borders. While I am sure they were helpful they wanted more and more from Rome, thus weakening the center of the Empire. The more they asked for the more they got until citizenship became so diluted as to be meaningless. Of course the people were full of envy and greed over this situation.
Within a 100 yrs of this situation the invited tribes revolted and by then the Roman Empire was so exhausted and poor it collapsed on it own weight. So I imagine that is this countrys future as well.

It's not just bitter, it's a poison pill.
Ya know, as a flaming liberal, I gotta wonder if it's fair to make our precious non-resident future democrat voters come all the way to the US to qualify for their free tuition and other US taxpayer provided benefits.
I certainly hope that our brave gang of crap have been compassionate and will not force these folks to disrupt their wonderful lives to come north just to get what are basically human rights due every person. If they can register to vote by mail (multiple times?), why can't they claim their benies the same way?
I'm wondering if I can sue to make sure that my son doesn't have to pay out of state tuition just because he's actually a citizen. If an instate citizen and an illegal don't have to pay out of state tuition, why should he just because he had the poor taste to be a citizen and live in another state?
"Big Pill to Swallow: Taxpayers to Pay for Illegal Immigrants’ Med School"

So.... they weren't doing this before the EO? Somehow I doubt that, especially when government funds are flowing so freely anyhow. This just gives them legal cover to press the accelerator.

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
This is what happens when Obama has regular visits with La Raza in the WH.
Which reminds me: "La Raza" means "The Race" just as it does in English. It is not a quaint old-fashioned rendering of ethnicity, like the 19th-century term "Irish Race" or whatnot. It is meant as blatant racialism. If they were not "supremacists," then they would be calling themselves "El Pueblo," would they not?