Clayton E. Cramer

June 19, 2013 - 3:00 pm

shutterstock_91980854

I just had a very unpleasant experience – a kidney stone – and one that I hope to help you avoid.  The experience is a major health issue for Americans. These cause more than a million visits to health-care providers each year, of which 300,000 are to emergency rooms. If you have ever seen the bill for an emergency room, you know that everything is way more expensive there. Think of this article as not only an attempt to save you great misery, but also to save both public and private funds.

I was in an Enterprise Architecture class (a type of computer geek professional training) on Wednesday, and by the end of the day, I was not just bored; I was in pain in my lower right abdomen. At first I thought that lunch was trying to make an early escape, but a visit to the men’s room didn’t help. And the pain was getting worse – way worse.  I was also beginning to get chills.  Based on the location I assumed that it was appendicitis, although it certainly came on faster than I would have expected.

I left the class early, intending to drive to my doctor’s office, but in five minutes, the pain had become so intense that I did not think it likely that I would be able to safely drive there.  Fortunately, I was a block or two from one of the several excellent hospitals we have in Boise.  I had taken my wife to this particular hospital for outpatient shoulder surgery a few weeks ago, so I did not have to think too long about where it was – and with the pain that I was suffering, thinking was not something that I was strong on doing.

I pulled into the emergency room driveway, honked my horn, because I was not sure that I was going to get inside by myself, and within seconds, there was someone there with a wheelchair, and a valet parked my car.  By this point, the pain was so intense that I was starting to vomit – and in less than 30 seconds, I was on a bed; within another minute or two, there was a nurse, than a doctor examining me. The doctor asked questions, poked and prodded, and concluded that my problem was probably a kidney stone. While waiting for a CT scan, the nurses inserted an IV, and put in some serious painkillers – and this took it from inexpressible pain to just suffering.

The good news is that, contrary to what the pharmacist told me, removing the stent wasn't all that painful. Trick to making it okay:

1. Full bladder.

2. Warm shower.

3. Urinate in the shower while pulling out. Relaxing the muscles that control bladder emptying means that nothing is fighting removal of the stent.

A few hours later was somewhat painful -- enough to require an oxycodone -- but that was just the irritation causing by removing this piece of plastic.
Hasn't anyone in Boise heard of ESWL? It means EXTRA CAPORIAL SHOCK WAVE LITHOTRIPSY! It does not use the water bath thingy. It is a machine that has two large globes on the ends of a half circle arm. They put you on a table with a curved cut out in the side and position your body so that the affected kidney is over the cutout. Then the device is rolled into position so one globe is above your body and the other is below and positioned over the kidney. Sound waves are then directed at the kidney and they break up the stones so that they can be passed normaly. Have had it done 6-7 times with no adverse effects. Also had the stent inserted to help the stones on their exit trip. Not fun!
ESWL has limitations. The first one being the size of the stone and the second one being location. A third is whether or not the patient has recently had other surgery especially abdominal surgery. His stone was on the borderline for size. I just had a 7 mm stone taken care of with ESWL. His stone was already lodged in the top of the ureter. That right there, plus the size would have made them lean towards the laser procedure.
Kidney stones aren't just painful.

The wrong one in the wrong place can block the kidney and damage it. Kidney failure is not a good thing.

Drinking an alcoholic beverage does no harm, and can actually do some good. Alcohol is a diuretic, flushing more fluid through the kidneys.

BTW, there is some evidence that men who have frequent sex have a lower risk of prostate cancer. Perhaps flushing out the prostate gland by ejaculation flushes carcinogens out of the prostate.
Anybody ever see that episode of "Deadwood" where Al has a kidney stone? That was brutal. Makes me glad I live today and not way back when.
Are there any pundits out there who consider Vodka to be a fluid. or even a liquid for that matter?
If you are a heavy snorer, you might have Sleep Apnea. Your body reacts to a constricted airway by making efforts to remove water from the lungs, so it kicks the kidneys into high gear, dehydrating you. This can cause high mineral content in the urine, perfect to grow crystals.

I had a number of stones before I started CPAP and none since.
The old folk remedy is cranberry juice.

My brother was diagnosed with a kidney stone, sent home with painkillers and scheduled for a procedure. I asked if he had *tried* drinking some cranberry juice. No. He went out, got some cran-apple, and - passed his stones, apparently, a few hours later.

Your mileage may vary.
Thank you for writing this, I will be reading to dh at the first opportunity.
Whoa... I had a kidney stone about thirty years ago and a gall stone about five years ago that led to my having my gall bladder removed - easily the two most painful experiences of my life - which reminds to go have a drink of water.
Twenty or so years ago, I was repeatedly suffering attacks of kidney stones. When I last consulted a doctor on them, he recommended that I drink lots of fluids dayly, and keep the system well flushed. I asked him;
"Is it okay to drink beer?"
He said, "Oh, beer is one of the BEST things you can drink!"
I have been religiously following that doctor's advice ever since. And haven't had any more kidney stones ever.
1 2 Next View All