The Question For My Next 13 Weeks: Pivot or Persevere?

After 26 weeks, I think I've learned a good bit; here's an explanation of the method as I see it today, and a template for starting your own 13 week experiment.

Charlie Martin

May 18, 2013 - 2:30 pm

Preparing for my third 13-week season, working to lose weight, control my Type 2 diabetes, and improve my health. You can follow me at my 13 Weeks Facebook page for daily updates, and you can join Fitocracy (free!) and follow my daily exercise, and maybe even start tracking your own.  A new 13 week experiment starts June 1 2013. Join in!

Okay, this is a long one, just to warn you. Here’s the basics:

I’ve been rethinking these 13 week sessions and how to do them; I’ve written a new explanation.

I’m starting to see how the emotional part plays into the issue.

I’ve used the pattern as I now see it to start planning my next 13 weeks, and provided that as a “worked example” for other people who want to try it.

I’m looking for people to volunteer to try a 13 week experiment of their own, and possibly to try a web site meant to support 13 week experiments. Volunteers should mail me at 13.week.experiment@gmail.com

Now on with today’s show.

As I said last week, I’m taking a little bit of a vacation from attempting to strictly follow some eating plan while I think about my results and what to do next.

The vacation has been interesting. I gave in to one of the things I’d been missing, and had a McDonald’s Double Quarter Pounder and large fries for lunch, the same day I was going to my niece’s daughter’s first birthday party. Then at the party, I had a nice piece of cake as well as a bunch of things that were actually low carb.

From this I learned two things: I don’t actually like McDonalds as much as I used to, and I really can manage to drive my blood sugar up to the 230′s with carrot cake. But this was a momentary indulgence, especially since I, sure enough, had some of my old stomach troubles for a couple days afterwards.

As they say in Shangri-La, “Everything in moderation — including moderation.”

In the mean time, though, I’ve been thinking a lot about the experiments, and about the emotional/psychological/spiritual aspects of what I’ve been learning. (Let me just say, I don’t really believe there is a difference between the emotional, the psychological, and the spiritual. We’re not made up of a lot of pieces; what we’re thinking is what we’re thinking, and what we’re feeling is what we’re feeling, all together.)

What I’ve realized is that when I started my first 13 week experiment, I was groping toward something that would let me make changes in a way that didn’t scare me with the prospect of endless and unproductive deprivation, didn’t shame me as so many diets had done in the past, didn’t blame me for the lifelong problems I’ve had with weight, and gave me some emotional support in the process.

For me, writing about it has been a good bit of that support — I learned from Twelve Step programs that sometimes the best support you can get is by honestly admitting to the problems and your feelings about them.

Another big part of the support has turned out to be the rooting you, my readers, have been doing for me, and the sense that by talking about this I’m actually helping other people.

I hope to help other people use the things I’ve learned, and that means I need to figure out how to explain them. I’ve made a couple of previous attempts, but in this week’s thought I have what I think is a better explanation.

The First Insight

This is really what got me started: my first insight was not to think of a diet, not to think of of a weight-loss goal, but just to think of performing an experiment. I now realize that this was a first step in insulating myself from the years of fear and shame that had accompanied Dieting.

Dude, I've got six months of data that shows it doesn't work that way.
And, I don't know why the gibberish
Update on a cpl of things.
Patient started on GLP/Cinnamon has dropped 13 # in 2 months.I can't get A1C-ins won't pay-until 3 months has passed.He's allergic to exercise.Absolutely none
My weight this week is 226.Down 2 more. Mile run was 12:57.
down another 35 secs.Didn't have a stop watch ,so didn't time 100 meter
Charlie,
Don't know why the gibberish
on my post
Starting wt-May (=231.May 16,228.Mile walk run(May 9) 15:09.May 16:13:32.100 meter 24.80(May 9) 20.93 May 16).Sit ups 30 sec 11 vs 12 .Meds Victoza 0.6 mg (I have samples Bystolic 5 mg/day Vit d 50 K twice/month .Cinnamon 2.5 g /day. I was on a minimal (3 clicks=.18 mg) of VZ,but I want to lose some weight relatively fast/easy.Goal for 13 weeks is 200 #
OK.May 9.Wt 231.Time for mile run (Actuall,it's stride 100 meters,walk 200 meters) 15:09.100 meters sprint.24.83.Situps in 1 minute22.Pushups 12
May 16.wt 228.Mile stride/walk 13.32.100 meters.20.94.Situps 18 (Sore abds)
Meds Victoza 0.6 mg (I have sample.Why not use them? Cinnamon2.5 g/day Bystolic 5 mg/day Vit D 50 K;twice /month.
I'm going to try to increase my situps very little.Sit ups are hard.But,I'll increase push ups by 2/wk. I may try 400 meter sprint as a better method of checking my fitness. Non.Let me redact that. I'll try 200 meter.DOing 400 would be masochism.
I'm trying to get a follow up A1c form the (lackadaisical ) lawyer,Also his wt loss .I'm shooting for a Body weight of 200 # in the 13 weeks I'm pretty sure I can -or will sooon be able to jog a mile-but don't know if I should change the format.
I'll post weekly
Corwin

OK. I'll play.
But, I get to cheat
Corwin
On October 31, 2010 I was hospitalized with type 2 diabetes, having a hemoglobin A1c level of 9.6%. After discharge, I ordered Dr. Neal Barnard's Program to Reverse Diabetes and a related DVD, and implemented his program with the support of my dear wife. By Feb. 25, 2011, my hemoglobin A1c was already normal (4.7%). My primary care physician was surprised by the rapid progress and so ordered another blood test. On March 8th, 2011, my hemoglobin A1c was also normal (4.6%). It has remained normal on all blood tests since then, as I have stayed on Dr. Barnard's plan. I have found his ideas helpful as well re weight loss (this last year, my waist size went down 4 inches). I recommend as well Forks Over Knives (DVD), Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's book on heart disease, and Dr. John McDougall's The Starch Solution.
1- it sounds like you've learned a lot about yourself during the first two experiments. I suspect the same will be true for the third one. I especially like how you are being as specific and quantifiable as possible.

2- have you considered looking at exercise like medicine? Just accept that you hate it, swallow it like you swallow metformin, and go about your merry way by making it as short as possible. We all have things we don't like to do in life and do them anyways. Much like self acceptance that came into play during the first two experiment, self acceptance of your hatred of exercise may allow you to just do it.
I've been rooting for you from the sidelines (aka lurking) during your past experiments and am greatly looking forward to your next multi-participant experiment. I’ve never been one to put myself out there, but I’m delurking to let you know that I very much appreciate how you’ve shared your inspirations and how honest you’ve been about your motivations and results.

Thanks for sharing The Four Agreements. It sound like the advice I have been giving my kids. I will make sure to read and share.

Like you, I’ve been following Gary Taube's advice in Why We Get Fat. Bbased on Taube’s advice alone, I’ve steadily lost 75 lbs in the last 15 months. Only 15 more lbs until I reach my initial goal and reassess. Yes that’s slow, but as they say, slow and steady wins the race. Perseverance and patience are indeed the keys.

Blessings, SJ
Charlie, I would like to second the suggestion by Hugh that you look to 5x5 stronglifts as a template for an exercise program. No spending 2hrs in the gym. It takes me about 20 minutes to go through my program and it can be as intense or low impact as you want it to be.

Most 12 step programs will begin with a 28 day cycle and then make their P or P choices. I think you have a strong hypothesis in the quarterly cycle as the human body works on its own timeline.

Be at peace with yourself my friend.
Dude. All this overthinking don't take the pounds off.

Reduce the calories on a healthy diet for whatever time it takes to get the weight off. If you don't, you get no results. End of story.

Dude, I've got six months of data that shows it doesn't work that way.
Dude, easier to say than to do... Yes it involves reducing the caloric intake but more importantly it involves changing just what you put in your pie hole. Yes, you can lose weight on a twinkie diet as long as you eat ONE twinkie per 24 hour period. However your body will react to balance the unbalanced diet by stealing from your internal organs such as the skeletal system and the circulatory system and the lymphatic system to make up for your less than optimum choice of dietary intake.

The real issue here is one of making the necessary adjustment inside your conscience that will allow yourself to separate from the mindset of an addict to one of a person that is at peace with themselves.

And by the by, you have one of the most arrogant avatars and it will probably make you smile but I will say it anyway, your posts are mostly bombastic and unhelpful in the extreme. Later Dude...
1 2 Next View All