5 Ways Baz Luhrmann’s Gatsby Could Have Been Great

Johnny Depp or Christian Bale would have been much better than the unconvincing DiCaprio. And why not Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman instead of character actress Carey Mulligan?

John Boot

May 10, 2013 - 7:00 am

Baz Luhrmann’s splashy, extravagant, highly watchable 3-D remake of The Great Gatsby is certainly a vast improvement on the lackluster 1974 Robert Redford movie, but those hoping for a classic adaptation worthy of the Great American Novel are going to be disappointed. Here are five ways Luhrmann’s Gatsby could have been great.

5. A Better Lead Actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio isn’t an accomplished performer and his screen magnetism was largely linked to his boyish appeal. Now that’s gone, and nothing more interesting has come along to take its place. DiCaprio can’t convincingly play anguish, nor can he seem physically threatening (a scene in which he nearly comes to blows with Joel Edgerton, who plays his romantic rival Tom Buchanan, is almost laughable; Edgerton could flatten DiCaprio without even trying).

A better choice would have been Johnny Depp, who, like Gatsby, came from nowhere (Kentucky in the case of the actor, North Dakota in the case of the screen character) or Christian Bale, who has already showcased his ability to play the charming playboy in the Batman movies. It would have been a natural fit: Batman is basically Gatsby with a cape.

This is not finally about casting or score. Gatsby has never been made into a good movie, despite various tries, for a good reason: it doesn't have a good story for film, not enough plot. It's more of mood piece. The Last Tycoon, although it wasn't that well made, is potentially a much better movie, as is Tender is the Night. And, for that matter, various Fitzgerald short stories. Gatsby, no.
Oh boy, a movie set in the 1920's but with a hip-hip soundtrack by Jay-Z, and it's in 3-D for no reason whatsoever?

Pass.
You may be right that this story just isn't amenable to being made into a movie - but I still wonder if it might be possible with "a better lead actor." It's tricky because we need Gatsby to be likeable and sympathetic despite his sick obsession with Daisy. He's a bit of a crazed stalker and that just isn't likeable or sympathetic. For this reason, I think Charlie Sheen should have played Gatsby. Who does crazy yet likeable better than Charlie?
You mentioned Depp as a better Gatsby. Not sure I can agree.
When we went to see Gatsby on Saturday night, one of the previews was for The Lone Ranger (or whatever they are calling it this go around.)
Depp appears to play Tonto as a somewhat quieter Jack Sparrow.

I do have to agree with your assessment of DiCaprio versus Joel Edgerton in the Plaza Hotel scene. At no time would I ever believe that DiCaprio could threaten Mr. Edgerton, except maybe to bleed all over him if they got into a fight.
The only star actress who could capture the Daisy who is seductive and hypnotic, yet whose voice still "sounds like money" is Anne Hathaway (And Daisy is a brunette! Why do they keep making her a blonde? In the novel, her own husband hesitates before classifying her as "Nordic.").

Agreed about DiCaprio. The actor has to be somewhat physically imposing, and able to be confident playboy, small-town dreamer, and a plausible gangster, yet never too slick or sophisticated. Strange as it may sound, I would nominate Brendan Fraser.
According to Rotten Tomatoes, 48% of critics and 84% of movie goers who have seen Gatsby liked it. Thus, it's about an even split of the critics but more than 4 of 5 viewers approved. The last film with DiCaprio, Django Unchained, got 88% critical approval and 94% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes, but that may be more for Jamie Foxx and Christopher Waltz than for Leo D.
"Leonardo DiCaprio isn’t an accomplished performer and his screen magnetism was largely linked to his boyish appeal"

I agree that used to the the case (but for me it was UNappealing) - eg, Gangs of New York (which I still liked), but he's matured, and I thought his performances in The Aviator (of course, he def. didn't look the part), Blood Diamonds and Edgar J. were very good, especially the latter, though I haven't seen Gatsby or any other of his other recent movies.
Natalie Portman, really?
You're so right, Roger. So many attempts to bring Gatsby to the screen, and all failures. If you read the book it seeps into your soul like a mysterious fog. Period costumes and hot-cha-cha 1920s ambience have nothing to do with the essence of Gatsby and, as dreadful as Redford was in the title role, DiCaprio (as vacant an actor as ever drew a breath of air) would be unimaginably awful.
Mr. Boot: While I haven't seen Gatsby yet and can't refute your specific complaints, if I didn't like DiCaprio, I wouldn't go see his movies, let alone spend my time writing lengthy reviews of them.
You've really managed to remind me why I NEVER want to go to the movies with you.

Depp? He turns everything he does into a "look at what I'm doing!" freak show.

Christian Bale? Absurd. Simply absurd. And then you have to remind me of "Dark Knight Rises" - easily one of the bottom five films I've ever had to sit through. Horrible acting, horrible directing, horrible fight choreography, one of the worst scripts of all time... Hell, I'll bet the gaffer even did a bad job taping wires to the studio floor.

Even if you're driving, even if you're buying the popcorn and the Good 'n' Plentys, no way.
Carey Mulligan is simply not all that. She has an '80s body and a face that could go bad as one sobers up. Emma Watson is sexy enough without overstepping the bounds of ingenue.
You're delusional.