The 10 Life Improvement Quotes So Essential I Have Them on My Wall

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do and you've done it." — Margaret Thatcher

John Hawkins

May 6, 2013 - 4:00 pm

Above the desk I work on every day there is a Culpeper Minutemen Flag, a Dream Board, a Ronald Reagan bumper sticker autographed by Ann Coulter, and 10 slogans. I spend hours of each day with those slogans in the corner of my eye, burning into my brain.

John Hawkins' Desk

Why?

Because we’re constantly being hit with other people’s slogans. Advertising jingles, billboards, songs, TV shows, comments from friends, orders from the boss — all of those are being inputted into our subconscious each day.

Well, it’s important for us to control some of the information that goes into our brain as well. Here are the slogans I find so essential that I want to be exposed to them daily.

1) On attitude: “When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.”

2) A standard: “If every day was like today, would it be enough to achieve my goals for 2013?”

3) On dedication:

“7 months straight. No stopping, no maintenance weeks, no cheat meals. Why? Because if someone beat me, I didn’t want to look back at any cheat meals and ask ‘what if.’ I did what it took every single day, and THAT is why I looked the way I did. You either want it or you don’t. Just so you know, there wasn’t a day that went by in the last 8-10 weeks of that prep where I didn’t want just ONE extra yogurt, or 5 less intervals of cardio. But, I was not going to be outworked! I was NOT going to be denied! And you know what? It was all worth it.” – Tommy Jefferson

On my living room wall: "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart," declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 29:13)

On my office bulletin board (and a potential tattoo): ...the righteous are bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1)
"No one ever lay on his death-bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office." - A guy I used to work with at a top blue-chip company after he discovered he had cancer. (He survived, at least for the short term. I never heard what happened in the long term.)

"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Martha Jefferson, 1787

"Illegitimis non carborundum."
Lat.,
"Don't let the bastards grind you down."
-Gen. Joseph Stilwell
I only saved and framed one quote in my lifetime. I don't even know who to attribute it to:

"So long as you can move, move. You've an eternity to be still"

Life is inherently tough and anyone who thinks they have it all figured out is either extremely lucky or deluded. There is no single formula for success. But staying in motion and keeping oneself in play is good advice I think. It's how we all learn and improve and ultimately make the best of our time here.
I like the "Serenity Prayer";
"God grant me serenity, and I want it NOW!"
And Margaret Thatcher had many more.
There's "Desiderata", also.
Your "Gestalten" needs constant maintenance, but if you know not comfort, you will never know how to dispense it.
Beer is proof that God loves us.
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." -- Joshua
A quote I have lived by every day is "Change is inevititable, improvement is optional." to ensure that I live by the improvement part.

But one cannot forget the forst law of politics: "When the mouth is open in passion, the ears are closed to reason."

Lastly, there is the most insane piece of advice that my father told me and it has turned out to be amazingly accurate in its warning. "Never trust a man whose hips are wider than his shoulders."