Jason Collins Isn’t Brave for Being Gay

He's brave for being himself.

Hannah Sternberg

May 1, 2013 - 7:55 am

The bravest part of Jason Collins’s coming-out feature in Sports Illustrated was not the part where he revealed he is gay. It was this:

I celebrate being an African-American and the hardships of the past that still resonate today. But I don’t let my race define me any more than I want my sexual orientation to. I don’t want to be labeled, and I can’t let someone else’s label define me.

I have a prediction: Collins is going to ruffle a few feathers in the gay world for that comment.

It normalizes gayness, instead of letting one counterculture, ultra-liberal, activist niche own the image of homosexuality. If you can be a gay NBA star, why not a gay conservative? If your sexual orientation is just one part of your life, why does it have to dictate your entire worldview?

You can’t be easily herded if you insist on being yourself.

If you’re skeptical that the gay activist Old Guard would be against lifestyle diversity, read this Slate article about how some of them are reluctantly accepting of the “Gaybro” movement. The subtitle says it all: “They like sports, hunting, and beer. They make the gay community mad.”

Jason Collins: thanks for making them mad. It’s time someone shook this place up a bit. And I don’t mean the hetero-normative sports world. I mean the liberal-normative gay world.

Hannah Sternberg's first novel, Queens of All the Earth, is available on Amazon, BN.com, and bookstores near you.

Pulling a child out of a burning building is brave. Our soldiers in Afghanistan sacrificing their lives for the children of our enemies are brave. This is just a celebrity milking every ounce of publicity he can get. Calling it courage is an insult to every hero whoever threw himself on a grenade to save his comrades in arms.
" If your sexual orientation is just one part of your life, why does it have to dictate your entire worldview?"

Because members of your community, and their allies insist it does. It's like those "professional black men" that all seem to have a cable show on MSNBC.
Meh, the gay movement has been evolving. Only the real hardcore crazies that Zombie documents will give a hoot (For the record, the stupidest political position ever is "gays for Palestine"). The pro-gay marriage movement is all about normalizing homosexuality, the "paleo-gays" are not big players (mostly because they appear crazy).
Given his journeyman, at best playing history, this seems to me nothing more than a cry for notoriety. Possibly also an attempt to steal a march on his next contract negotiation. 'They're lowballing me cuz I'm gay!!! Not because I'm ordinary!!!'
Maybe, he might go to the NBA equivalent of the Jets. A team looking for publicity over success. But he also seems to be a competent role-player.
Greetings:

And Mr. Collins is an honorable man. It's not like he deceived his teammates and ex-financée for years.
I hear there's a movie coming out saying Liberace was gay.

And that no one who isn't gay, a Democrat, or working in Hollywood gives a rip.
He celebrates his race but doesn't let it define him - a neat trick.
Neater still is insisting that the hardships of the past "still resonate." Translation: The Man is still keeping us down, just like the old days.
Collins is yet another in a long line of idiots who clearly associates morality with being gay or black while asserting that to do such things are wrong, another neat trick. The lazy black and the greedy Jew have been replaced by the immoral honky. This is progress. For a gerbil.

If I lived in a country that was 90% Collins, I'd be in trouble. That is f I didn't have my high-tech enclave of solitude and privilege atop some highly defended mountain top. For PC purposes, we'll call it a ghetto of climate controlled domes.
Incidentally, this imbecillic new posting system flagged me for using the term "W*hitey" which I replaced with "The Man."

This robo-censor is utterly incompatible with what PJM is supposed to be about.
How is admitting to a sexual weakness brave?

I think impure thoughts when I see a 17-year-old girl in a bikini*. Give me the freaking Congressional Medal of Honor.

*Assuming she has no tats and is not seriously overweight. I'm pretty safe in going to the beach and having my mind stay clean in 21st century America.
So, you think admitting he is gay is admitting sexual weakness? Are you serious? Crawl back under your rock, please, and come out when you're ready to live in the 21st century.
Golly, jmarie what a brave comment. You deserve a Congressional Medal of Honor too. If everybody is saying something is right, why it must be right, right?

Whatever goes on inside someone else's head is not my business. We have, however, an obligation to refrain from giving approval to those things inside the head that would lead to actions that would be physically destructive, and that's even leaving out that "soul" thing a lot of us believe exists.

Deviancy and caving into it is not brave. It IS weak.
He did commit an act of "sexual weakness" by having a girlfriend for eight years. She's non too thrilled with the charade.
Look, if you believe that the act of homosexual sex is a sin, then yes, it is a sexual weakness the same way that feeling attration to a man who is not your husband is a sexual weakness. We all have sexual weaknesses, even you.
Also, it would clarify to distinguish between a temptation and an action. An attraction that is merely felt is less than a temptation, an attraction that causes one to consider, however briefly, illicitly gratifying it is a temptation. Actually going ahead and gratifying it is an action.

That attraction to a man who is not your husband, the first of these, is harmless if it goes no further. The illicit gratification, the third of these, is harmful.

Growing up is about learning that we must not gratify every temptation. There is nothing inherently repressive about expecting people to behave.

The conversation that has held for the last several decades about "gay rights" has seldom distinguished between attraction and action. The distinction has been suppressed, to the great benefit of the gay radicals who seek to complete the destruction of marriage. It is much easier to argue that people deserve sympathy who cannot help the attraction they feel than it is for those who have a choice about their actions.
"if you believe that the act of homosexual sex is a sin"

How about if you believe that anal sex is dirty, spreads disease, and endangers society? Oh - I forgot - that's hate. The truth is hate, so scratch it.

Western Civilization is dying, or is already dead.
But then you would be slightly off topic because then, you're talking about a sex act that certainly isn't unique to homosexuals nor is it something every homosexual couple engages in by simple reason of physical mechanics. Although it just so happens I do agree with you that that particular practice isn't a healthy one for any couple to engage in.
In mathematics we define categories. We are not allowed to attribute a non-definitional property to a category unless it is proven to hold over the entire category. However in thinking and talking about reality, we have no choice but to deal in probabilities, because nature is probabilistic. For example, we send people home who are sick with infectious disease, even though some people never cough or sneeze except in a safe way, and on our roads we set speed limits which apply to everyone, even though some people have the reflexes and vision to safely drive faster. There were Nazis who saved Jews.

To engage in a similar type of rhetoric as you do when you say that I am "slightly off topic", I note that just above, you said, "we *all* have sexual weaknesses, even you" [my emphasis]. In using the word "all" you have explicitly claimed that a property has no exceptions ("all" is usually taken to have that meaning in logic). Even though reality is probabilistic, you have made your claim universal (I did not do this).

What are the sexual "weaknesses" of children, "weakness" defined by the context in which you used it, meaning something like "impropriety"?
I vote for dead. Both Greece and Rome died as soon as they "normalized" homosexuality. Period - the end.
This is simply not true. Homosexuality was never illegal in Greece or Rome. They normalized it for centuries before they fell. In fact, homosexuality was not punished by law until the middle of the third century, when Rome was beginning its slow decline.
It was cool to be the pitcher, not so much the catcher. The catchers were considered to be like women which were also not cool to be.

Ladies, normalizing homosexuality is really not in your interest.

These societies in which homosexuality is normalized, btw, pretty much proves that it is a choice and not some genetic condition in most cases.
Ah, but remember, despair is a sin too. For that reason, I believe it is dead on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only. The rest of the week I'm not so sure.

Well, today is Wednesday, so I guess I agree with you.