Susan L.M. Goldberg

April 10, 2013 - 7:00 am

Poor Seth MacFarlane. The guy sings one song about boobs and suddenly he’s #1 on the Hates Women List with a Steinem next to his name.  (That means if they capture him, she gets to rag on him incessantly. Who wouldn’t want a bullet after that?)

It’d be too easy to join the chorus singing, “MacFarlane hates women.” As a woman, I despise the cop-outs women often take, chiding every man as being both the desired master of her universe and the despised crafter of her fate. If we really believe in Girl Power, what’s our responsibility in all of this? Are we allowing the fate scripted by guys like MacFarlane to come true?

It took about 10 minutes to pull video for the following five most common stereotypes about women portrayed in Family Guy. The sad news is that it took about 15 to pull five examples of the same behavior from the most popular Girl Power reality television show out there: The Kardashians. Praised by some feminists as career women comfortable in their own skin, it has been observed that “50 years ago, the Kardashians could never live the way they do. It’s all thanks to the Feminist movement that they are who they are – and they embrace every benefit from it fully.”

So, culture judges that you are, tell me: Is the evidence compelling? Is MacFarlane a He-Man Woman Hater, or do the Kardashians prove that girls finally busted through the glass ceiling in the tree house and joined the club?

Stop insulting hillbillies!
I never quite understood how you "empowered" yourself by becoming exactly what the so-called patriarchal power structure wanted you to be - an easy, discardable sex object they had no continuing obligation to once they had used you for their own pleasure. Maybe I'm just too repressed by my happy married life with to understand.
I'm glad that I don't really know who any of these people are.

My mom always had freshly baked cookies, fresh squeezed lemonade, dinner ready for Dad when he came home from work, time to help us with homework or take us to the park. She put those 50's sitcom moms to shame. And she enjoyed doing it. And my grandmother was twice my mom. If you happened to walk through her yard, my grandmother would make you wait on the porch while she cooked you something. There were always a postman or meter-reader or policeman or somebody at her table. If someone robbed her house, she would have gotten up to cook the robbers a meal. She was always genuinely happy and genuinely interested in you. She was just a housewife, but 1500 people showed up for her funeral.
"For those inclined towards intelligent design, Eve was the first to blame her husband for her own sin."

Ah, no. Eve blamed the serpent. ("The serpent deceived me and I ate it." Genesis 3:13)

Adam managed to blame both Eve and God. "The man said, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it." (Genesis 3:12)
Kim Kardashian is the poster girl for the Feminist movement.

Pretty much says it all, doesnt it?
Personally, I do ot see the appeal of any of these shows. It is a testament to the low state of our culture that they succeed.
How does a fat, stupid floozy become a role model? I don't get it.
Huh?
Sorry. I enjoy reading about culture here and there. The 'there' of this article completely escapes me.
I forgot to ask: Does she remind anyone else of Zoolander?
In what way is Kim Kardashian empowered? She may not have a pimp but she is still just prostituting herself for fame. Anyone that watches the show is in danger of being arrested for solicitation. Change the channel and let the tramp disappear.
Women are to blame if you're looking for someone to blame. Women like Marcia Clark and the O.J.Simpson jury, the wife of the marathon bomber, the 60+ % that voterd for Obama, Sandra Fluke, Nancy Pelosi. The fact that is too impolitic to mention and too unflattering to acknowledge (and every trial attorney knows) is that women, as a demographic, are irrational.
1 2 Next View All