Boob Alert: Top 5 Side Effects of Watching Family Guy

How to screw up your life with Seth MacFarlane's nihilistic nonsense.

Susan L.M. Goldberg

March 27, 2013 - 7:00 am

Part 1 of a 4 Part series Deconstructing Family Guy

When Seth MacFarlane sang about boobs at the Oscars, I’m pretty sure he was referring to his own fans.

Most of the time it is taken for granted that we recognize the latent moronic nature of most television programming today.

Then again, do we?

If we agreed as a culture that television programming like Family Guy is so moronic, why would a collective cheer rise up at the sight of another Emmy win?  Would we be told by media commentary royalty to worship Seth MacFarlane, the show’s creator, as fascinating?  Not only does the guy have mega street cred in the pop culture universe, the primetime structure he’s so wholeheartedly mocked is singing his praises.  In fact, it could be said that Family Guy’s seemingly counterculture humor has been legalized by the mainstream.

What’s more, like a bad addiction, Family Guy is the drug that has turned a generation of Boob-Tube addicts into junkies.  So, what are the signs, Doctor?  How do you know when a co-worker, a friend, even a loved one has become a total Boob?  Let’s play MediaMD as we examine the 5 most common side effects of watching Family Guy.

Family Guy is only funny now and then when certain skits work out. Mostly it is tedious, particularly since the show moved further left as the seasons progressed. In the early days they beat up on everyone, but through the Bush administration it was about 90% Conservatives who got the axe while liberals were fawned over. I haven't watched new episodes since Obama was elected, but I'll bet he has never been lampooned. Likewise Jesus gets it a lot, but I bet they've never gone after Mohammed.
I think that the problem with Family Guy isn't so much the spin, as that it just isn't funny. Fittingly, I can quote from the vastly-superior Futurama to illustrate - the episode where Bender is lost in the far reaches of the universe, seemingly forever, and meets "God." At one point "God" tells him, "If you're doing things right, people won't be sure you're doing anything at all." That applies to comedy and entertainment generally: if the stuff is GOOD then any slant becomes irrelevant, because to be good you largely have to set aside point-scoring and concentrate on the job. Family Guy had brief moments when it was funny during its first run, when it forgot about "scoring the point" or "making the gag" and paid at least lip-service to characters, plot, set-up, etc. Once it was cancelled and renewed, it no longer has had even those moments, choosing to just recycle things other people did that we laugh at in recognition only. Basically it's bad because it's the laziest show on TV, not just because of a social or political slant.
I can see that, but the spin is still really irritating as well.

It's not the laziest show though. If you want that you have to go to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim in house stuff. That same crew has been making shows with the same slow, boring "humor" for years.
The story about the broken toy puppy made me sad. Broken toys always get me. I guess it is that early brush with loss that a child has when a toy breaks that touches my heart. I recall leaving a toy Pillsbury Dough-boy toy at the dentist office when I was a child. I am still sad about it and that had to be about 1972.
Same here. One of my greatest misfortunes was growing up in a neighborhood with few kids. My parents naturally made me pal around with them even though they loved coming in the house and busting up my stuff. None of the adults ever thought this was anything but accidental. Karma got them though since they've all gone to their own lives what they did to my favorite toys.
I guess the internet grew tired of bashing the Star Wars prequels and now Family Guy has become the new target for the haters.
I think the hatred for Macfarlane and Family Guy within the TV industry is out of jealousy. The man is the highest paid producer on TV right now and FG has made a lot of money.
Family Guy toppled The Simpsons as the darling at FOX. The Simpsons has been coasting on their rep for over a decade, and Family Guy stole their thunder.
From the interviews I have read featuring South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, they seem to think they invented animated comedy, and therefore everyone else is a pale comparison.
Nonsense. Everybody still enjoys bashing the Star Wars prequels. That's because they sucked.
I watched Star wars when I was 45. They ALL sucked!! Plot - dialogue, the whole thing sucked!
Great column. I don't think I've ever managed to watch an entire episode.
Family is not funny, asinine maybe, but not funny.
Family Guy is not funny, asinine maybe, but not funny.
"By making political correctness the object of its humor, Family Guy asserts that political correctness is the structure sustaining our culture."

Or, he's asserting that PC is stupid and that comedy can be found in making fun of stupid things.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (and not a social commentary).