Bryan Preston

March 15, 2013 - 11:04 am

Doug TenNapel, creator of Earthworm Jim and one of the most creative graphic novelists on the planet, is working on a new video game. He announced some of the details on Facebook this week.

Through the years Neverhood fans have asked for another game, and I’m partnering with my EWJ and Neverhood buddies Mike Dietz and Ed Schofield to make a full sized, PC and Mac point and click adventure game in clay and puppet animation. New characters, but in my usual style.

TenNapel’s “usual style” is mind blowing. The Neverhood debuted on the Dreamworks Interactive label in 1996. It was a point-and-click adventure built entirely in clay and animated via stopmotion. Here’s a taste, and keep in mind that he did this in 1996 on PCs that can’t even compete with today’s smart phones for processing power.

TenNapel followed the Neverhood up with SkullMonkeys for the PS1. It was a platformer, and also amazing.

Eh, EWJ was all right, but it was done what, 15+ years ago? The Neverhood is probably as cult as Psychonauts or Oddworld Odyssey was. Chances are he's going to be like the countless developers who struggled after making their big games.
The greatest video game news I could received would be that the entire original team behind Neverwinter Nights are getting back together to make Neverwinter Nights 3, and that NWN2 was being banished from memory.
Never heard of Earthworm Jim, but from the video, it looks like a platformer, which is a style of game I abhor. Different tastes, and all that.

For those like myself who prefer RPGs, I present to you this alternate 'Greatest Video Game News in the History of Video Game News':

A follow-up to one of the best cRPGs ever made, Planescape: Torment, is going to be made. There's a Kickstarter going on right now for funding and it's already raised nearly triple its goal.

While not a direct sequel, Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to explore many of the same themes as Planescape. The concept videos sound promising, so I'm looking forward to its release (tentatively) at the end of 2014.
I'm still waiting for The Last Crown release....
This is great news. I loved Neverhood.