Is American Life Really Slanted in Favor of Women Over Men?

The patriarchy is dead. Long live the matriarchy.

John Hawkins

March 6, 2013 - 12:01 am

Patriarchy

It would be hard to argue that, one hundred years ago when women couldn’t vote or hold the same careers as men, our society wasn’t tilted against the fairer sex. However, those days are long dead and gone, and women have largely achieved the sort of parity with men that the feminists of the sixties were demanding. In fact, we’ve gone beyond that point now and what we’re finding is that many women want to have it both ways. They want to be thought of as just as strong, tough, and capable as men while simultaneously demanding all sorts of special protection. In fact, it’s considered bad form to even suggest that men aren’t privileged and that, yes, in some cases, women are the ones who have an advantage because of their gender. We’re not even supposed to ask the most basic questions about the terrible trials women supposedly face because of their sex.

For example, it’s fine to complain that women earn 76 cents for every dollar that men earn, but any reasonable person should agree that’s not sufficient to show that there’s a problem. To prove there’s a real imbalance, you need to ask tough questions. Are women working the same long hours that men do week in and week out? Why should the woman who only works 40 hours so she can have a “balanced” life make as much as the man putting in 60 hour weeks to get ahead? Along similar lines, if a woman takes three months off to be with her child after she has a baby, while a man whose wife has a child just takes a weekend, isn’t he more dedicated to his job and thus more worthy of a promotion? What about a female secretary and a male coal miner with the same skill level? Even if their education and level of ability are the same, shouldn’t the one doing the dirty, dangerous, unpleasant job make more money? Moreover, from a common-sense perspective, if you could actually get by with paying women 76 cents on the dollar to do the same work that men do, wouldn’t all-female firms dominate every field because of the reduced overhead? You don’t hear people who complain about women making less discuss relevant questions like these because when you compare apples to apples, that pay gap disappears. That’s why on average you find that a never-married, college-educated woman actually makes more than a never-married, college-educated man.

Personally, I'm in favor of the biblical punishment for false accusations: The accuser gets the sentence the accused would have received.
Well, you might be a woman saying you are a man or ... Alan Alda.

If not, ever have an older brother get drafted, sent to Vietnam and die? Got any buddies paying alimony to some sit-on-her-ass woman? Ever seen false accusations like the Duke case?

Assuming you are male, there's also the thought that it just hasn't happened to *you* yet, so you don't care, and you want to keep up your "men get everything" stance in a misguided belief it's going to get you laid.

Get some empathy for all people, gumbo59. If you don't have it for men, then you also don't have it for women, although you may be faking that for whatever reason.
It is pretty much standard here that if an attorney is involved a complaint for divorce is accompanied by an allegation of domestic violence, which gets an automatic 20 day restraining order, and an allegation of sexual abuse of the children. Wife v.1.0 was smart enough not to do the sexual abuse thing because our daughter was a teenager and none to fond of her mother so she wouldn't have gone along with it, but she did do the DV Writ thing. I was incensed but my attorney calmed me down by just asking me if I had any reason to see my ex-wife-to-be in the next 20 days, to which I replied that I didn't have any reason to see her ever again and we just let the DV Writ ride. However, one of the consequences of that stupid violence against women law is that many men in law enforcement lose their right to carry a weapon when they have a DV restraining order and can get dismissed, laid off, or in some other fashion lose their ability to work and get paid as a law enforcement officer on the naked assertion by a wife or SO or in some states even a kid that they are afraid of the man. We I was still in government we wouldn't act on the temporary DV Writ; only if a judge after an evidentiary hearing granted a restraining order would we take an LEO's gun and assign him to other duties. That's not really what the law requires, but it is too easy for an angry or manipulative wife/SO or kid to wreck a guy's life and livelihood.
My understandign is that VAWA is not harmless, but leads to skewed prosecutions (prosecute the man and not the woman for fighting each other).

BTW, the one time I was on a jury it was made clear that only the man was being charged. We ignored the judge's instructions and let him off.
So women ask for less compensation initially and don't haggle as much as men? And that's relevant how?

You claim that men have the advantage in education? You didn't read that more women are college educated than men now? It's in the article.

You claim that men have an advantage because of equal opportunity employment laws? BS. Those laws were put there to AID minority and women workers.

Social trends are irrelevant. The theoretical need for unions is irrelevant. The author's point is perfectly valid. When you account for the fact that men typically work longer hours in more physically demanding and dangerous environments (oftentimes that women are simply unsuited for) with less time off, women are as fairly compensated for their contributions to the workforce as men. The employers are simply paying men and women for what they get out of them. And they're paying them fair compensation for what they deliver.
We can begin by calling ourselves men instead of "guys" all the time.
As a Father,I've learned to consider divorce court a snake pit,only to be entered by accident,and marriage has died from a hundred bites!
I bucked the trend of judges awarding children to men back in 1976 - it was an uphill battle and cost me a lot of money but it was well worth it. I took custody of my 4 year old daughter. After a very nasty divorce and knowing many men that routinely got 'raked over the coals' I decided I'd likely never marry again. And I haven't. I've lived with lots of women since then (please - no chastising me for my choices) and haven't found one I could not do without. Obviously. What I've learned in all my years of experience with women (rather extensive IMO) I could write a book about. Here's a nugget for you younger guys - if your woman suddenly announces she's leaving you you can just make a sure bet (probably 90% or higher!) that she has a guy in the wings just waiting for her.

I've heard more women say "Because I'm worth it" so many times that whenever I hear it any more I just laugh. It isn't enough just to be a woman to be worth it - you need to prove yourself - just like a man has to. Sitting there on your ass looking pretty doesn't prove your worth. Not to me anyway.

And FWIW I have several women friends - and no women problems!

And many years ago - the first time some woman told me "I can get the door myself" in a particularly nasty voice I let go of the door and it damned near knocked her down. I guess she wasn't ready for that.

And remember guys - the next time some woman asks why men are the way they are just tell them its because they were all raised by women. Ya get what ya ask for.
The world and life have a long term way of seeking an equilebrum,a settling of muddy waters.This ship has been listing to starboard for many reasons, for many years..White men need not apply,Woman gets custody.Our system's imbalances included, can be measured against other systems throughout the world.Capitalism slam-dunked the world's confused underachievers over a century ago.
Caution Ladies,Islam is becoming more attractive every day!
And note that it appears that converts to Islam in England tend to be female.
“She ruled against every single man,” Rolfe recalls, “and two of them were unopposed.”

Men are "beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the female of the species, either in social or political relations, and so far inferior that they had no rights which the female was bound to respect.”

It’s easy to arrive at feminist ideology with just a few word changes from certain prior ideologies.
Women are the greatest thing in this world. So a few are idiots, so what? So are men. Frankly I don't hang out with women who'd ever take advantage of men institutionally. I can't predict what idiots might do so my only version of a preemptive strike is to choose good friends.
It is not women we are talking about - my wife is the opposite of all of this - but the social and legal system put into place through false chivarly, false beliefs ("no woman would...") and gender feminists. And particularly attourneys, male and female.

The rest of the West is probably worse. I saw an actual statement in the Israeli Parliament, I think it was then-opposition-leader Tsippy Livni - that "we have to discriminate against men in order to acieve equality".
Good point.Men know the women to stay clear of,we are aware of their superpowers.
I think that the percentage of false rape and sexual harassment claims is a lot higher than the Air Force study indicates. And for every evil man, there's at least one evil women out there (considering that women make up a slightly higher percentage of the population) -- and surprisingly often, it's the perp's mother.
A lot of it is because women have become a "privileged" group who cry "sexism" just as blacks cry "racism" over every imagined insult.
Was an estimate I think in 2011 by the Florida judiciary stated that 90% of claims of rape and sexual harassment by women are fake.
I typically don't respond to trolls, but I do want to make one point.

If you don't feel oppressed, it's a safe bet that you ARE one of the oppressors. I would bet serious money you have a long history of oppressing those who disagree with you. You seem to fit the profile.

Left wingers are typically so utterly convinced of their own rightousness that they find it inconceivable that they could ever do anything wrong. It's why they're bigots against Christianity - Christianity forces them to confront the hideous fact that they are not as perfect as they envision themselves. Hence they oppress religoin and retreat to enclaves like San Francisco where they can create a play-world to support their delusions.

When California collapses under the weight of its own San Francisco-inspired lunacy, they're going to come looking to sensible people for a bailout. We need to remember the hubris of people like Gumbo59 when this time comes.
Never. California gets FEMA and that's it. Food cloting, and shelter, and nothing else.
a lot of people don't feel oppressed until they're told by some do-gooder that they should feel oppressed and oh, call this number to claim your compensation.
That was supposed to be in reply to Gumbo59 - but comment system decided to put it here.
1 2 3 Next View All