Rule of Law

Shirley Sherrod v. Breitbart Update: Big Law Fuels the Left

July 24th, 2014 - 12:49 pm

Liberal groups already enjoy a tremendous structural advantage over conservative groups in terms of foundation support, bricks and mortars institutions and a steady pipeline of youngsters eager to shape mankind to their own image. There’s another often overlooked advantage enjoyed by the left: big law firms donating thousands and thousands of hours to help leftist causes far outside of the American mainstream.

There is no counterpart donation of time and money for conservative causes. Big Law’s ideological “lawfare” completes the architecture for attacks on election integrity laws, springing free Al-Qaeda terrorists and even suing conservative new media pioneers like Andrew Breitbart.

Legal work donated to these causes is called pro bono representation. Once upon a time, pro bono representation was provided to those who could not afford a lawyer after finding themselves in dire straits. Imagine a widow with children being sued by a landlord in an eviction lawsuit. Law firms, acting out of a sense of charity, might donate time to the widow to help her avoid eviction.

In the case of Andrew Breitbart, however, that script is flipped. Lawyers for the monster Big Law firm Kirkland and Ellis are representing Shirley Sherrod against Andrew Breitbart’s widow, for free. After Andrew died, these lawyers substituted Suzy Breitbart in a defamation case brought against Andrew.

Unlike the poor widow of yesteryear, the person receiving the free legal representation is Shirley Sherrod. Remember her? Sherrod is the former Department of Agriculture official caught on camera saying she denied a white farmer the full measure of benefits she could have given him (before later describing a moment of redemption when she rejected a racialist approach to her job). Unlike the poor widow, a farming collective associated with Sherrod’s family was the beneficiary of a multi-million dollar windfall settlement from the very same Agriculture Department.

sherrod

In the same settlement, Sherrod and her family even received $150,000 for pain and suffering in the racial discrimination case against the USDA even when she admitted on camera she briefly intended to engage in racial discrimination against a white farmer while employed by the same USDA.

The irony apparently wasn’t shameful enough for Sherrrod’s lawyers to decline her case against Andrew Breitbart.

Yannucci (L) and Jones (R)

Yannucci (L) and Jones (R)

So enter Kirkland & Ellis lawyers Thomas Yannucci and Michael D. Jones. Sherrod’s morally bankrupt litigation against a widow by Kirkland and Ellis lawyers (working for free) isn’t the only example of pro bono work at the firm. A glance at the Kirkland and Ellis pro bono portfolio reveals a stark degree of ideological homogeneity.

Here is the danger of hate-speech when it's institutionalized as reasonable and even noble. Institutions have clout and power an individual cannot fight. As go our institutions, so goes our rights and freedoms.

This country is in a great deal of trouble. The sad irony and final insult is these people only benefit from institutions they can't even maintain let alone create. What do people like Sherrod actually produce? What do they bring to the table as opposed to take away? How many others have to bring to the table to make up for her? At some future time a tipping point is reached and there is no more table. Liberalism is the history of the U.S. in reverse, but moving on such a slippery slope too many people can't see it.

The other irony is that the people who clearly see that the most are the very people who think they'll benefit from our demographic overthrow. That's wrong. Were that true they'd simply all move to the Third World. Losers will ultimately be the first to suffer when it's every man for himself. Sneering at the idea of a meritocracy is not the same as it being false. Water may be hard in liberalism but in reality it is wet.
Hiiring and promoting Communists isnt a standard. It's suicidal stupidity. Besides Affrimative Action and Diversity Promotion are forcing Leftist agitated hostile minorities into position of power inside all of our institutions and businesses.

For me as well SD.

It became impossible to defend the good guys in Chicago. The media pulled so many dirty tricks on my cases. I became fairly well known for cross examination and closing argument...destroying fraudulent cases and fabricated evidence...and for going belly to belly with the hard left.

It became personal. (I once walked into a Barnes and Noble, as a readaholic I was there often in those days, picked up a few books and scanned them to see if it would be one of my weekly purchases. As I'm skimming a book with an interesting title, I read a paragraph that's about me! The title doesn't match the leftist screed. I'm not mentioned by name...but referenced as one would expect as the target of leftists.

Wholly inaccurate, since this author never bothered to even attempt to contact me.

Another time, the local NBC news station called and asked for a comment on a preliminary ruling in a class action case. My secretary put the call through, I was put on hold for twenty minutes. I kept the phone on speaker and kept working.

AFTER I came on...the reporter went on the air and completely distorted the ruling to make the good guys look horrible...and said they tried to reach me...but I was "unavailable for comment".

I could go on...but I was tired of working in a crooked system, trying to fight the hard left, the media and the rigged system. I was winning most of the time...but it was enraging. I predicted it would only get worse...and it has.

I KNOW the far left, small c communists. They are much more dangerous than the average person can fathom. Much more.

I took it home with me, couldn't leave it at the office. I come here to try to do my part. I would offer my services to Trey and Jeff Sessions, but they don't need me. They need a thousand fresh faces ready and willing to protect freedom.
Christian, I love, love, love your attorney's letter and that's saying a lot because I despise lawyers, despite having married one. The manner in which Mr. Driscoll deals with Sherrod's self-important, threatening, immoral hack warms the cockles of my heart. Thanks for sharing.
I do hope Mrs. Breitbart is countersuing Shirley Sherrod and those who are promoting her inexcusable behavior. The infinity of civil laws in America make it certain that Mrs. Breitbart has legal grounds. A large, rich firm like Kirkland must have enemy law firms who would be pleased to take Kirkland down?

I gather they are not representing George Zimmerman, the honorary white Hispanic, pro bono in his libel suit against NBC?
Lawfare has been finely honed to devastating effect byt he Left.

Outfits like The Thomas More Law Center, and the ACLJ, need monetary support, and lots and lots of it.
"Wha the Conservative Movement needs to do is mimic the effect tactics of the Left and use them against the Left."

I agree, but we appear constitutionally unable to behave like them. There's a couple of reasons for that inability. One is the fact that we're not fundamentally a collectivist movement. The Left is about organizing and dominating and controlling groups, which will always outnumber the individual. Another reason is the fact that the way the Left controls and dominates is by organizing and delivering money, primarily "nobody's money" as Eric Sevareid once characterized taxpayer money and money they have extorted from producers like industry. We as a matter of principle have eschewed the use of the public fisc to buy off constituencies for the most part. There are exceptions to that, but its true as a general rule. A third reason is we're essentially trying to uphold the values of a civilized, pluralistic society against the forces of license and the chaos that follows license like night the day. After the damage done by the Boomers to civil society, that's a might hard row to hoe. A fourth is we don't consider politics as "war by other means," to paraphrase von Clausewitz. Ben Shapiro understands this fact and is one of the foremost proponents of fighting the left like it fights us, but we just don't take politics to be an existential pursuit. We're kinda disposed to give it up if it gets to shrill or too exhausting or too demeaning. Not the Left. There is literally nothing it will NOT do to achieve it's goals. In short, we're not overmatched in ideas, but in methods. If you think it's bad now, just wait till the Left finishes propagating it's communications model, the one it used so effectively to elect Doofus against the nation's interest, to all Democratic candidates in all states. Remember that Frank Fahrenkopf's strategic plan for Republicans to take back their proper role in national politics was first the state houses, then the governorships, then the Congress, and finally the Presidency. We are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind.
There's also the Pacific Legal Foundation - who make a living fighting big government overreach - and FIRE. Support them early and often. Every $25 helps!
I don't have much sympathy. Liberals have an advantage also in that they actively recruit like-minded law students into their firms. While conservative law firms only seek out competent and promising lawyers, and pride themselves on open-mindedness and indifference to ideology, leftists go out of their way to hire and promote fellow travelers. You know, for the sake of 'Progress' and 'Social Justice'.

The end result is a profession dominated by leftists. If conservative legal professionals were serious about this, they'd start trying to recruit committed right-wing law students into their firms, the same way BigLaw recruits committed liberals. But they don't.
Won't change. The right has higher standards.

Bingo, this needs to happen in all the institutions.

This kind of abusive practice is what compelled me to give up litigation 30 years ago now and start negotiating and drafting documents. Within 10 years negotiating simple contracts became just as tedious as dealing with abuses in litigation.

I suspect that were Mr. Adams not a refugee from the Justice Dept well known from his writings, the whole mess would have been more cordial. Or is that too much to hope for?
For me as well SD.

I enjoy your posts and wealth of first hand info.

Just for info, and you might enjoy. When the Clinton impeachment was going on, the left screamed it was all about sex. In a letter that David Schippers sent me, he laid out 4 major parts of the impeachment, which no liberal that I have spoken to had a clue to. It was conspiracy to obstruct justice, perjury, witness intimidation and witness tampering. All items that goes to the heart of the legal system, but was fine with libs, as long as protecting one of their own.

Best to you
We should somehow adopt the British System whereby the Plaintiff must pay for the Defendant's legal fees, in certain cases where they lose. In other words, there should be some penalty for bringing lawfare type actions. Attorney Adams should contact Trey Goudy about gathering together conservative lawyers in a national coalition to fight this.
No. The British system imposes that penalty, AFAIK, without any finding of "lawfare" on the part of the plaintiff. And from what I read here and see in the real work, it's the "lawfare" lawyers who deserve the blame.

At the discretion of the jury, without review by the presiding judge, the losing lawyer should pay.
Way to go! Thanks for sharing. We too can donate to causes we believe in, such as IJ.org (Institute for Justice.)

The nice thing about helping libertarian and conservative lawfare is that our little help makes a bigger difference compared to no help at all than one more donation would to leftist causes already chock full of lawyers and money.