Ed Driscoll

Chris Matthews’ Pauline Kael Moment

July 3rd, 2013 - 4:15 pm

“All my family, my liberal sons, my liberal wife. Everybody thinks the guy, Zimmerman’s the bad guy,” Matthews blurts out on NBC/Comcast-owned MSNBC, Noel Sheppard writes today at Newsbusters:

For the second night in a row, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews made a stunning admission.

After telling his Hardball audience Tuesday that Democrats “believe in illegal immigration,” Matthews said Wednesday, “I’m surrounded by people who think he’s guilty, Zimmerman. All my family, my liberal sons, my liberal wife. Everybody thinks the guy, Zimmerman’s the bad guy” (video follows with transcript and commentary):

CHRIS MATTHEWS: Suppose everybody – and by the way, I’m surrounded by people who think he’s guilty, Zimmerman. All my family, my liberal sons, my liberal wife. Everybody thinks the guy, Zimmerman’s the bad guy. So I live in that world. I have some other people that have different views too.

Chris isn’t sure who they are, but he can feel them out there in the audience somewhere. Or as liberal film critic Pauline Kael said in December of 1972:

“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”

Kael’s quote is often bastardized along the lines of, “I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.” But as John Podhoretz noted in 2011, the actual quote is in many ways more damning:

Obviously, the paraphrase is far juicier than the original, but actually, if you think about it, the version quoted by Brody is even worse, as it indicates that Kael was actually acknowledging her provincialism (“I live in a rather special world”) and from its perch expressing her distaste for the unwashed masses with whom she sometimes had to share a movie theater. What this indicates is that, even then, liberal provincialism was as proud of its provincialism as any Babbitt.

Of course, give Kael some credit — she knew bad editing when saw it, which is why she famously panned Michael Moore’s maiden agitpropumentary Roger and Me in 1989, because Moore played fast and loose with the timeline of actual events. I wonder what Pauline Kael would have thought about the hacks in NBC’s editing bay these days?

Ms. Kael may have been forced to share a movie theater with people unlike her and her friends, but she more than likely drew the line at sharing a public washroom with them.
I had an interesting conversation with a retired cop the other day. He believes that Zimmerman is dead meat. He doesn't think the evidence matters, he doesn't think the law matters, he feels the only thing that will determine this case is political correctness run amok.

If my friend is right, it may be time to gouge my brain out with a spoon so I can fit in.
The kind of person for whom partisan politics is the essence of life. In other words Chris Matthews, and others like him, needs to get a life.
Yesterday, July 4, I spoke with a nurse who works in Inglewood California. She had just gotten off work from the hospital There had been a drive-by shooting where a man was wounded in the front seat of a car and the woman sitting in the back seat with her baby was shot dead.

Chris Matthews had no opinion as the murder didn't even make the local news. No "white Hispanic" was involved.
Is there anyone around who thought to ask Chris WHY his wife and family believe Zimmerman is guilty besides they feel he should be and POTUS implied he was?

If George Zimmerman is convicted -- even of manslaughter - his lawyers need to get their appeal in before the sun goes down that very day.

Following Branca's postings and comments at Legal Insurrection leads one to believe there are so many things wrong with this way this trial is being handled that Ray Charles can see it's a put up job in spite of the prosecution's witnesses testifying for the defense.

What happened to:
1. Innocent until proven guilty
2. Evidence
3. Reasonable doubt

If the Matthews family wants to sacrifice someone on the altar of reparations and racism, draw straws among yourselves and go for it. A liberal son will do, Chris. Be our guest.
Chrissy has never been one to hide his bias, I am sure the 200-300k who watch his show think he's marvelous.
Weak men like Mathews are drawn to thugs, not unlike weak women. We do not chose our proclivities, they choose us.

In the case of the liberal white pundit, he cannot go wrong defending black people, even when they are wrong.
"I can't believe giraffes exists because I've only seen photos. But sometimes I can feel them."

Crissy Tingle
Police can't do much if civilians don't trust and cooperate with them. That's why so many black-on-black crimes go unsolved -- no one's willing to "snitch". If Zimmerman goes to prison, white people won't snitch either. The next time a white guy shoots a prowler, he'll just go home, wash up, and no one saw anything.
If Matthews had an ounce of self-awareness (Kael did, at least), he would explore why he and his liberal clan arrive at the knee-jerk conclusion that Zimmerman is the "bad guy." He might challenge his own assumptions about the world when he assumes "black man is dead, therefore person who killed him is bad." But I don't expect it is forthcoming.
Hmmm. A new form of trial -- verdict delivered by a majority vote of the extended Chris Matthews clan. That donkey really seems to think his family's opinions should be weighed in the matter.

I'd sooner take a poll of the opinions of the Star Wars bar crowd.
I could get more civilized views by picking someone at random from 500 B.C. Fire Matthews. He's dead and failed to rot.
Well, Chrissy is a special man living in a special world, too, isn't he? I mean, can you imagine if he had to actually deal with people like us? The thought is perfectly ridiculous.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Chris Matthews’ Pauline Kael Moment”