Dr. Helen

A reader sends in an article from the Harvard Business Review:

Here we have the dynamics of a new economy colliding with the old establishment like tectonic plates. But as developed nations restructure from manufacturing to knowledge and services, my bet is on the moms, or more specifically, women — and men who can think like them. Survey data my colleague Michael D’Antonio and I gathered from 64,000 people in nationally representative samples in 13 countries — from the Americas and Europe to Asia — point to widespread dissatisfaction with typically “male” ways of doing business and a growing appreciation for the traits, skills and competencies that are perceived as more feminine.

The results, published in our new book The Athena Doctrine, reveal that 57% of people were dissatisfied with the conduct of men in their country, including 79% of Japanese and South Koreans and more than two-thirds of people in Indonesia, Mexico, U.K and the United States. This sentiment is amplified among the millennial generation (young men and women age 18-30) of whom nearly 80%are dissatisfied — most notably in highly masculine societies like Brazil, South Korea, Japan and India.

If people have grown cold on male-dominated structures and leadership, they offer a solution: Two-thirds of survey respondents felt that “The world would be a better place if men thought more like women”, including 76% of the French and Brazilians and 70%of Germans. Those stats include majorities of men who equate masculine incumbency with income disparity, continuing high levels of unemployment and political gridlock.

Apparently, according to this dippy Uncle Tim author and his research, the female ethos includes ridiculous catch phrases such as “Empathy is Innovation” or “Vulnerability Is Strength.” Really? Empathy is innovation? Vulnerability is Strength? Empathy did not develop the computer: hard work and talent did. Steve Jobs was apparently a “jerk” but he was able to build a company that now helps people all over the world. All of the people around the world who benefit from Apple may not have been able to do so had Jobs been more concerned with empathy than success. Imagine if Jews were told “Vulnerability is Strength” during World War II.

It’s easy to throw out a bunch of cheap slogans currently but when the shit hits the fan–like it did during 9/11 or when it comes to real innovation and skill, such as performing surgery or emergency services–these slogans become nothing more than a politically correct mantra with little meaning. The problem is, by constantly emphasizing that men’s traits are negative ones that ruin the world, we may see them become more and more extinct and unavailable at a time when we need them the most. More and more young people, the article says, dislike the “conduct of men” but I wonder if we only allow the conduct of women to be expressed what we will be left with. How men like the author can not only go along with this, but encourage it is not only disturbing, but disgusting. It is misandry at its worst.

As Uncle Elmer says, "When an organization becomes feminized, focus shifts from the efficient production of goods and services to the establishment of rules for the comfort and security of women. Ossification and organizational death are inevitable."
New and more effective management styles and techniques were implemented in THIS country while men were still firmly in control. If there is an effective way to maximize profits and productivity, you just know that those greedy men (seriously...and women now also) will jump on the bandwagon. Just because those other countries are behind the curve in management techniques, doesn't make it a male or female thing. Some male managers are really good at implementing these techniques and some are bad. Some female managers are really good and some are bad. The author of the article made it a male/female thing, because it causes controversy which increase traffic which increases his value to his employer. Yes, it was misandry...all the females get to feel better about themselves and puff out their chests, while all the men are made to feel, again, like the kicked dog with its tail between its legs. All without any basis in fact.
"Imagine if Jews were told “Vulnerability is Strength” during World War II."

They were; by Gandhi of all people.
Gandhi was a great man...or at least that's what I've been told.
Rumor has it that Gandhi would intentionally sleep with naked women to see if he could resist the temptation. The story goes, that he always could. You'll know you are a real man when you are just like him.
I need to think more like a woman?
Does my penis need to behave more like a vagina?
We just have to act like we have vaginas, but our penises can act like penises all they want in private.
I find it both interesting and depressing that The Harvard Business Review would be reduced to evaluating managerial techniques and methodologies, not by how effective they are at getting results, but on the "satisfaction" of a group of survey respondents. Achievement is taken as some sort of natural phenomenon that just kind of happens. At no point is there a recognition that entire point of management and leadership is to actually accomplish things and not to make a bunch of (largely) outsiders feel good.
I saw an interesting interview with Leonard Sax MD PHD on Hannity the other night. They were discussing Dr. Sax's new book, Boys Adrift.

He address five problems that drive boys to distraction and young men to underacieve. It was a fascinating discussion.

But this article is ridiculous. Men should behave more like women? How would that be, catty?

Dr. Sax presents five things that should be done to remedy the problems that boys and men face in our society, such as education reform, and simply lettting boys be boys and men be men.

His book is well researched and documented. Hannity highly recommended it.

Some of the topics they discussed is how boys blatantly discrimated against, even oppressed in schools. One example Dr. Sax gave was about this boy in an art class who was told he could draw whatever he wanted. So he drew a sword and got suspended for it. Another was about this boy who was eating a sandwhich for lunch. But the way he took his bites gave his half-eaten sandwhich roughly the shape of a gun. He got suspended for it. Another was about this boy who was told he could write a paper on whatever he wanted. So he wrote about this famous battle in WWII. He got suspended for it.

A medical doctor, Dr. Sax also addresses the problem with prescribing psychotrpic drugs to boys in order change their behavior. He said this is very dangerous.

There numerous other examples in the book. But unlike the idiot who wrote the article above, Dr. Sax offers real solutions to the problems boys face, and says that if these problems are not addressed soon, our society will disintegrate.

All this article does is suggest that men should become even more sumissive and subservient. And how has that worked out over the last forty years?

Dr. Helen, I thank you as always for your incisive insights (though I usually forget to inform you of my "masculine" graditude). Two points, one a debate point and the other "deadly" serious.

1. If the world should think more like women, the affirmers of this thesis have accepted that men and women do really think differently, viz. have UNequal thinking structures. This immediately gives justification to reflect upon discrimiatory attempts to afford "equal" rights. Before rights can be designed as equal or unequal, the recipients of the rights must be graded as equal or unequal in their thinking, among other thngs. This debating point begs for reflection with ominous implications.

2. Whether it was my former wife (of blessed memory) or my current uneducated, but sweety-pie cleaning lady or an educated departmental head, I note something about me if the bearers of female thinking (upto now females) think motherlingly, i.e., seem to treat me as a child to be mothered. If females think with more emphathy, they also think more motherly (or they are a copy cat of a male). Extrapolating from my reaction to being "mothered" too much, I have dark inklings that hint at wanting to emancipate myself, and not in a too friendly manner, from the MOTHER who changes my diapers, even though I need them not. I am groping here, not sure of the psychology, but I find that many a man does not like being mothered and that too much mothering provokes unhealthy feelings. A woman stands or falls in my personal code iff and only iff she earns my respect. That means the differences between female and male thinking must not lead to holding one or the other way (and I do assume differences) to be inferior. I damn well will not surrender my masculinity to a supposed female manner of thinking unless said female should happen to be an amazon warrior!!! But then she would be more manily than a man.
Hmm. I'm about halfway through "Men on Strike," which probably explains where my head is right now. As I went to look up something on the CNN site, I ran into this opinion piece: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/09/opinion/kimmel-single-sex-classes/index.html?iid=article_sidebar denouncing single-sex-classrooms, and claiming among other things, that, "We know that boys and girls are as different from each other as they are from every other child."

We do, huh? That would suggest that there is really no difference between boys and girls. I guess they really DON'T teach analytic reasoning any more - maybe so we can get people thinking like this.
Funny...
20+ years in multi-billion dollar corporations...
I have been lucky enough to have some amazing leaders (bosses). Some males, some females. Didn't matter to me which gender, in these cases. These strong leaders were all inspirational, nurturing, open, honest, credible, competent, and hired and developed leaders of both genders.
I have worked with (never FOR) men and women who would stab me in the back, were dishonest, were incompetent, and used the system to their full advantage. (Some cases, it was the "old-boy network." Some cases, it was the "female empowerment" or "minority empowerment' system. All were pitiful)
I've never worked in a place where I could easily place the entire gender, race, age, or type int a grouping and say "if we had all males we'd sink in a week." Or "if we had all females we'd sink in a week."
I've been lucky enough to work in a variety of different environments, and thankfully have seen some pretty amazing contributions and collaboration by people of all genders, styles, races, etc.
...Maybe I'm just lucky, or just chose the organizations well??
Regarding Steve Jobs: "some of his employees from that time described him as an erratic and temperamental manager. Disappointing sales caused a deterioration in Jobs's working relationship with Sculley, which devolved into a power struggle between the two.* Jobs kept meetings running past midnight, sent out lengthy faxes, then called new meetings at 7:00 am.*
*source wikipedia, Chris Siebold, Thomas Hormby
--I've seen plenty of men in power struggles like this (especially in the C level. And boy!! Can they stab each other in the back! I haven't seen any women do it, likely because many women aren't in the C Suite.
And imagine what the folks are writing about Jobs calling a 7am meeting for the next morning AFTER MIDNIGHT. That pretty much puts you on call all night long. Personally, I check my calendar when I go to bed at 10pm, and set my alarm accordingly. If I have a 6am, I set my alarm accordingly. If I have a 7, I set my alarm accordingly.
If This guy expected all his folks to work on the same 4-5 hours sleep a night that he always got, I understand what they are saying about him. (But the generalization of "all men should act like all women" is NOT acceptable!)
I don't think it is a male trait, I think it is that the journalist did a great job of pandering to "girl power" when the article could have really been summed up as
"Business would be a lot better off if there were fewer jerks." (true with all the world :-)
Absolutely my experience in somewhat smaller corporations (revenues $50 million to $3 billion). Your comment that the strong leaders of both sexes were nurturing is, I think, a very important one. I have found men to be every bit as nurturing as women (although men tend to do it in different ways), and I'm tired beyond belief of hearing that women are the nurturing sex.
I wonder how many of those people who disapprove of the way men behave would, if they awoke in the night to find their house was on fire, would call women-dominated Human Resources for help instead of the predominately-male fire department.
When I lived in a condominium complex in Silicon Valley, I was always amazed at the fact that women in the complex who had, at some time in the past, described me as an immature, beer-swilling slob, would show up at my door when, for example, their toilet was leaking onto the bathroom floor.
And that is precisely why men need to abandon these feckless ingrates and let them be "strong and independent" on their lonesome.
1 2 Next View All