Dr. Helen

Thanks!

July 2nd, 2013 - 11:31 am

I want to thank all my readers who have put up with the non-stop book plugs and interviews I have been doing for Men on Strike over the past several weeks. However, I have been very happy with the number of you who email to tell me that you read the book, gave it to a male friend or relative or even handed it over to your mom or girlfriend to help them understand more about how men feel about many reproductive and cultural issues.

I thank all of you who bought the book and provided feedback with reviews, your thoughts, and insights. I wanted to write a book that would be taken seriously by male readers and their allies and I feel that with your help, I was able to do that. Thanks so much to all of you.

This is a book that should be plugged & promoted, it contains information that challenges warped thinking (feminist and otherwise) & instead creates thoughts which are OVERDUE in today's pathetic version of a 'society.'
I just finished reading "Men on Strike" and can't recommend it highly enough. As a straight, never-married guy in his early 50s, I thought I was the only guy who noticed the "stupid guy" syndrome that has permeated our culture. We're all portrayed as creeps, deadbeats and/or potential child molesters, and this is really sad. I decided early on that I would never date a woman with minor children, because I would always be a "suspect" to her friends and family, and also because her kids could cause me some serious problems just by telling someone that "Mom's boyfriend looked at me funny."

One point that does need a closer look is dating in middle age, and why so many guys just quit. My experience has shown that the real train wrecks start hitting the market in the 35--50-year age bracket--and they have no shortage of female friends who will try to set them up because "she just needs to meet the right guy." After buying dinners for a bunch of these messes, some guys, especially those of us who have assets (real estate, retirement accounts, etc.), will throw in the towel. Why risk 20--30 years of work by getting into a bad relationship with someone who's made a career out of poor decision making?

Anyway, the book is an excellent read and I'm pleased that someone has finally dealt with the Dumb Guy issue.
Hello Dr. Helen,

I'm an advisory board member of Project 21, an African-American leadership network out of Washington, DC. I saw your interview on "Fox and Friends" on your new book. I bought the book last weekend, just finished reading it today, and all I have to say is...

BRAVO!!!

Thank you for penning this must-read about the hell that we men are going through in 21st Century America. I plan on drafting a New Visions Commentary review on the book within the next couple of weeks; I'll be sure to send you a draft copy.

Kudos again! Very well done.
I'm reading it right now. Not too far into it, but I like what I've read. I'm not surprised as I've followed your blog for a long time. I rarely buy hardback books, but I happily made an exception this time. I'll have both my sons (ages 20 and 24) read it when I'm finished. As PBS so often says, thank you for your support.
Keep plugging the book; my experience is that this book is the first compendium of these issues that the (Murray's) cognitive elite has been forced to acknowledge. The great silence by that cohort, however, in my opinion does not reflect a shocked acceptance of the logic of your case, but rather a shocked inability to reply with any greater substance than Tucker Carlson could muster. IOW, they're smart enough to know not to debate you fairly, while smart enough to know as well that their talking point rebuttals, if offered, render them foolish. So they're silent. They're waiting for you to go away.

The educated women I know are talking about Slaughter and Sandberg, not Helen Smith -- and these are women with boys. I would say that the best they can offered is the mugged liberal' response that we saw from Grossman in the WSJ: the "I can't believe this is happening, fortunately I'm still a feminist". The educated women I know reply to horror stories of the systematic abuse of divorce and child services by quoting vague anecdotes, to wit, "I'm sure that's true but I know women who have been victimized by divorce too."

The key point of this book (IMO) is fundamentally an economic one, of course, not emotional rambling about what happened to this or that person we knew in divorce, or the schools, or child services industries. The key point is the role that systematic, government-imposed, court-enforced, and culturally-affirmed *incentives* play. Because the book says that many men are rational and won't play five-card stud with a four-card hand any longer.

I hope you get to plug the book with another faux-conservative like Carlson (his anchoress and her ilk are too stupid to debate). After TC or someone like him says, "Sure, it's a completely stacked deck, but men need to man up because hey, I did, look at me, wooo yeah!", I would simply say, "So, you do not believe economic and legal penalties, which you are acknowledging exist, influence behavior?" (I particularly enjoyed the way you mentioned to him that your definition of a good man doesn't include making bad deals.)

(This is the huge logical disconnect with so-called conservatives; I imagine leftists and feminists would simply agree, that no, incentives don't matter at all, and we're just breaking a few eggs to create a post-modern omelette.)

Marriage as it has evolved over the last 30 years, and similarly the education and divorce industries, have not evolved in response to any democratic impulse. These institutions have been taken over by the Left and and their current inhumanity is seen as a positive by the Left. The book will have no impact on them because the book posits individual agency and choice, rather than the disproportionate power of a small mob, in constructing durable social structures.

When we look at markets, we learn that all pricing is done on the margin. That's why a 7% change in demand can explode an honest market. If 27% of men 30-50 (vs. 8% of women) no longer seek marriage, we're in a situation that will not produce a market crisis justifying *suspension* of the trading floor; we're looking at a cataclysm. We probably need that to occur before the media and political nomenklatura discuss Men on Strike in the context of faux-achievement narratives such as Sandberg's. Keep talking and keep the faith, and thank you very, very much.
What's truly wonderful (besides the book itself) is the amount of discussion that has been generated by it. So thank you. When I tell people that I am reading a book called "Men On Strike" they are genuinely interested in what it's about. And as it happens I ended up with both a hard copy and a Kindle version, so the hard copy is going to the library. A really great book.
Bizarre experience - everything I said "included words that are not allowed".

You don't do what you say here, PJM. I can't effectively comment.
Umm ... Helen good?

That make it through? But references to Esther Vilar not?
Helen, I have heavily criticized you under other user names on your old blog. I am also simply a nasty person based on my nature.

I am finally happy for someone - you have hit pretty much what men think, and you deserve to get recognition and some money out of it.

Sounds kind of weird, but your book is good and it really hits the reality.
Thanks!
You are doing a wonderful job standing up for these ideas. It is encouraging the book is being received so well, and that it's been publicized in mainstream places. There has not been nearly as much blowback as I would have expected.

The Feminist wing of the MSM and Blogosphere has been unusually quiet from what I have seen so far. I thought by this point they would have coughed out something like "Helen Smith feels sorry for men who can't legally beat and rape their wives anymore." But nope, not a word thus far. Maybe they are seeing the writing on the wall and are sticking their heads in the sand.
I have noticed the same thing, no serious blowback; some women have actually been very receptive to the book and some of my favorite comments were at the Huffington Post on a piece I wrote there. I thought readers there would not be happy with my views, but very few of 800 comments were negative. I recently did an interview with a Conde Nast magazine in Italy, a version of Self, I believe and the reporter was very nice. I haven't seen the article yet and while the reporter did not seem sympathetic, she seemed understanding. Maybe it is just a matter of time, but so far, so good.
Good to hear. Generally, the female supremacist modus operandi is to throw 10,000 pounds of crazy accusations, logical fallacies, and shaming language at whatever they disagree with and hope that some of it sticks.

It could be they are afraid the dam is about to break on this stuff and they're trying to avoid giving it further publicity. But we'll see.