Dr. Helen

The Telegraph has an article stating that men mature 11 years later than women and are 43 before they start acting respectable(!) according to this study (via Newsalert):

A study into the differences in maturity between genders revealed both men and women agree men remain ‘immature’ well into their late 30s and early 40s.

But the average age at which women mature emerged as 32.

Alarmingly, eight out of ten women believe that men ‘never stop being childish’ – with breaking wind, burping, eating fast food in the early hours and playing videogames their biggest bug-bears.

Staying silent during arguments, not being able to cook simple meals and re-telling the same old jokes and stories when with the lads were also hailed as signs of immaturity…

One quarter of women felt they were the ones made all the important decisions in the relationship with the same percentage wishing their partner would talk about themselves and what they’re feeling more often.

So, whatever men do is viewed as “immature” even by the men themselves. Everything that men do is seen as immature, women’s behavior is viewed as mature. Silent during an argument, immature. Yell, confront and raise a man’s blood pressure, mature. It’s very easy to play this game. Men are not displaying the behavior that women want; that’s always immature.

I wonder what would happen if the men started really talking about themselves and how they truly feel, not just how women say they should feel but truly open up. Do you really think women would view this as mature? I would love to be a fly on the wall to watch that happen.

I played the mature Husband that always bowed to my wife's every need, but it did not matter, I still got yelled at for not doing the Dishes the way she wanted or cooking what she liked for dinner, like I'm supposed to read her mind daily and know what she wants, so I gave up and just did nothing, yup I started playing Video games and such, but in truth I don't even really enjoy them, but it was an escape from the reality of being looked upon as a dog

Well, I bet eight out of ten men think women are overly emotional, on a monthly basis, that they are prone to being drama queens over trivia and really think they don't fart in their sleep when not awake trolling for a candy man; that women seem to think automobiles change their own oil magically, and are truly surprised when the music stops. On a lighter note, you would be amazed at the mature adult women who send nude pictures of themselves to notorious murderous scum bags in maximum security units while playing hide the vegetables with their body; they're animals that never stop talking. Thanks to a wise Yaqui Indian, I did finally learn why women are born with two sets of lips: so they can piss and moan at the same time.
"I wonder what would happen if the men started really talking about themselves and how they truly feel, not just how women say they should feel but truly open up."

Well, I think men do do that with other man at times and with certain kinds of women who are 'male oriented.' I don't mean lesbian, but I am not excluding them from the 'male oriented' category either. Let me explain. I was listening to a lecture on St. Paul recently and the lecturer was detailing St. Paul's often very negative attitude toward women. He contrasted his attitude to Jesus's who he described as a 'women oriented' man. Without claiming any special virtue for myself I noticed that I was more like Jesus than St Paul in that particular characteristic. I believe a significant minority of men are so inclined. That said, I know perfectly well exactly the kind of woman who always thinks men are immature, inferior, a nuisance ...whatever. You can't trust women with that attitude emotionally. Nor should women trust men with that or similar attitudes. I was fortunate in my parents - they respected each other. I genuinely respect women and think they are extremely important to men because they have a genuinely different experience of human life. When there is real emotional trust between the sexes then something special and mutually beneficial happens. But when women are mainly into power and control they are just female Bluebeards. I want nothing whatever to do with them.
I think that one of the main reasons that men in the US are immature is that, since the 80's, men have been portrayed in Movies and on Telvision as acting sophomorically instead of acting resposible and teaching their kids the fundamentals of business and other forms of real work. This has been reinforced with the cultivating of young men toward rap and hip-hop music. Even modern rock promotes a misdirected perpetual anger attitude. Even black men have moved away from the family values of Bill Cosby. Also, we all say how the media has moved toward the left; but the conservative businesses and corporations won't withhold their dollars in advertisement for all the left wing media productions, ie: news, sitcoms, and reality shows that are presently aired. Untill, they do so, the leftist media is not going to change.
Women demand payment in order to get to know them because dependency is mature.

Women hide behind men to avoid bullets because cowardice is mature.

Women vote for government-husband to buy them security because groveling is mature.

Women cry and rant when they’re unhappy because infants are mature.

Women steal men’s children or put men in prison with false accusations because kidnapping is mature.

Women spend more time painting their faces than improving their character because facades are mature.

Women demand equal treatment in word and special treatment in action because hypocrisy is mature.

Women laugh at a man’s castration on national television because sadism is mature.

Gotcha cupcake, now pick out a pretty kitten and leave us alone.
Absolutely right, Vic! In a somewhat similar vein:

Spending months trying to select a color from three virtually-identical paint chips is mature. Wanting to pick a color NOW because the paint is starting to peel is immature.

Needing a new outfit because you're now doing Zumba instead of Pilates (or whatever the two most recent "ultimate" fitness "experiences" are) is mature. Lifting weights in a t-shirt, shorts, socks, and shoes that you wear until they have holes in them is immature.

Requiring a new purse and shoes for every new outfit is mature. Using the same wallet for fifteen years and having as dress shoes one pair of black wing-tips is immature.

Getting a car to replace one that is three years old because one of your friends just got a new car is mature. Changing the oil and filter in you fifteen-year-old Corolla that you intend to keep at least another five years is immature.

Going shopping when you don't really need anything is mature. Balancing your checkbook is immature.
While living in England from 2000-2012, I found quite a lot of the kind of weirdness between men and women that I hadn't seen in the US since the early 80s. By 2006 the workmen I was dealing with were all suffering what American men went through by 1981: "Why's she always pissed off at me?".

All of the comments I heard at the time were supportive of this, including those by women like Bryony Gordon of the Telegraph. I would tell them all, worry not, this is something you have to get through. Be yourself, and to hell with everyone who doesn't like it.
Silence during arguments is a sign of immaturity?
Hmm...
I've often noted that most ARGUMENTS turn into a showcase for immaturity - and it isn't the silent "participants" that are immature.

Women's objection to men being silent during arguments has more to do with their own immmaturity.
She likes arguing because the emotional component of an argument plays to her strengths.
His silence is often NOT a lack of participation. He's LISTENING. He's making note of everything she says. He'll note the things where he could actually improve - she should like that. What she doesn't like is the fact that he's also calmly making note of every inconsistent thing she says while embroiled in her emotion.
She finds that infuriating, not fair, and even "immature".

I suppose women think a closet full of make-up, shoes and clothes so they can play "dress up" forever is maturity. Soap Operas and other TV BS marketed to women is the height of female immaturity. Women go out of their way to look "young", thus engaging in yet more immature behavior, as they cannot handle the physical effects of aging.

Women are far more immature. They expect a man to pick up their slack, all the time. They are emotionally unstable and use it as a weapon to control men with denigrating and belittling speech. Women view men as a penis with an ATM card, but its the men that are immature?

What the women are REALLY complaining about is that men aren't doing as they are told, nor are they deferring to women's sensibilities, so it *must* be "immaturity", rather than free will.

I don't break wind or burp in public, eat fast food in the early hours (and rarely at any other time), or play video games. I'm a very good cook. Women hate me. I'm inclined to believe that women hate me in large part because I can take care of myself. In addition to cooking well, I know how to use a sewing machine (I'll be altering a newly-bought shirt later today), install a faucet, sharpen a knife, build a bicycle wheel, change the oil and filter in my car (on my previous car, I did a whole lot more than that), paint a wall, and a whole lot more. I think that being able to take care of oneself is evidence of maturity; women, however, don't want a man who can take care of himself.

The reason for staying silent during an argument with a woman will be obvious to anybody who has tried doing anything else.
Haven't we heard this tired argument before? I've always thought that males were more fun-loving, explorative, thrill & risk seeking than women in general...and if we broke some wind in the process it was no big deal. Today's women are just plain sour...and now they are trying to pass that off as "maturity". And if they don't "make it" until 32, who are they to point the finger at anyone. And I love the complaint about having to make the responsible decisions in a relationship. Wow...they are usually complaining about being "bullied" by the Patriarchy. Which way is it going to be, ladies??
1 2 Next View All