Rubin Reports

Why the Arab/Muslim World Is Trapped

January 21st, 2014 - 10:33 am

Barry Rubin passed away on February 3rd, but we honor his memory by leaving his insightful commentary available to our readers, including his last post, which follows below.

His fellow PJM editors

While we see few occasions of consciousness–and certainly few publicly expressed–from Arab and Muslim intellectuals of what is really going on, they still do take place. For example, in a December 30, 2013, interview that aired on CBC TV, Egyptian novelist Youssef Ziedan said:

We should reconsider our notions regarding the Jewish question. We are not even aware how much this affects us. [Antisemitism] has become a common trade, benefiting all our politicians. Any politician who wants to gain popularity curses Israel, but when he comes to power, he has no problem with Israel.

That’s stupidity. That’s stupidity which is connected to the ignorance of the people. We should reconsider this. Nobody looks out for our interests. We should be aware of this.

In other words, Ziedan shows keen consciousness of political movements and how leaders manipulate them.

Basically, the Zionism question is manipulative. The interviewer asked Ziedan,“What did you mean when you talked about ‘Jewish issues’?” Ziedan replies,

Anything that has to do with the Jewish question: the hadiths adopted from Jewish and Christian traditions, our shared history, the so-called Middle East problem, which I do not consider to be a problem at all.

The Nasserists have been oppressing the people for 60 years under the pretext of the Middle East problem…. Wars were fought, and people were killed.

Where does the problem lie? The Jews settled in Palestine and declared their state in 1947. Why did the Jews do that? After all, they had lived in Arab countries. They say that this land was promised to them. They say it appears in the Old Testament, which the Christians also believe in.

The interviewer responds, “There was also Balfour.”

Ziedan then continues,

Forget about Balfour and his declaration for a moment. We were indoctrinated at school: “What do you think about the Balfour Declaration?” According to the system of ready-made answers, we were expected to respond: “He gave what he did not own to those who did not deserve it.” That’s it. There could be no other answer.”

There are, however, three powerful forces that block this admission.

1. The way this society works, one of dictatorship

2. The repression

3. The way the leadership works

Leaders, systems, rule of the masses, and demagoguery.

Here is a perfect example of this.

To the family of Barry Rubin

As a reader of Barry's blogs, I am writing to say how saddened I am to learn of your loss today. I met Barry some years ago and came to know a most learned man, whose depth of knowledge, insight and wisdom on the political situation of the Middle East was unsurpassed. I have an active interest in this subject and frankly there is noone else in the world to touch him in his grasp of the topic and of what needed to be done in response to a given set of circumstances. In his recent writing one sensed the deep frustration within him at the Obama administration's complete misunderstanding of how events had unfolded. He once said, very credibly, that if the Obama administration served for a second term then for one's personal safety we should decamp to live in New Zealand. He was semi-serious. I will prefer to think of him living there in repose from today rather than having passed away. He has left enough signposts, commentary, books and advice for the rest of humankind to draw upon. Maybe, just maybe, the many people whose lives Barry touched may be able to turn things around so that a state of New Zealandness starts to affect us all. It is of course a vain hope in reality, but Barry remains totally vindicated that he was right all along. A man with unsurpassed vision, judgement and above all a Tzaddik. May he Rest in Peace. I will miss him deeply.
He was a great man in many ways and we'll all be poorer without him.
Only now, on Feb 10 2014 did I discover that Professor Barry Rubin passed away. It was a shock to hear. I will greatly miss Barry Rubin's incredible insights into world events and especially concerning Israel and the Middle East. He was like a fixture in the world. Reading his blog gave more insight into the middle east than reading all the current newspapers. I will miss his him very much.

From time to time I would (and I'm sure many others would) send a comment directly to his email. Amazingly, in spite of his enormously prolific output of writings, he always responded, usually within a few minutes.

I have taken advantage of reading some of his free online books. I will continue to read his works. Professor Barry Rubin, you will be very, very much missed. I feel so sad by his passing.

Anything one writes is not enough, but I will only say that professor Rubin, you were a great friend and defender of the Jewish People and of Israel, and a great and intellectually honest scholar who had the highest standards of excellence and objectivity.

I will miss my daily reading of your blog. I feel as though I have lost a close friend and kindred spirit. His writings will always be with us. My deepest condolences to his wife, children, and family.

Rest in peace dear friend Barry Rubin, and may your memory be for a blessing.

Samuel Dinkels
To the family of Barry Rubin

My thoughts and prayers for Professor Rubin -- please, please recover -- the world needs you...
What great relief, one Muslim yielding to realities of their irascibilities. This is grave apparent shackle of the diabolic, the enslaving evil. And the ignorants whilst blinded, unsuspectingly equate the Israel>
Unlike Christianity in Western countries, Islam did not undergo a Renaissance. Islam, early on, decidedly blocked innovation and technological advancement in science, medicine, agriculture, etc. I am convinced that sane people will inevitably choose improvements in life and happiness rather than stagnation, pain and untimely death.

This notion that Islam will eventually dominate the world originates from Wahhabists and others who wish to expand its influence. I personally have been hearing this since 1974, but this thinking has actually been in the Islamic world since shortly after the death of Mohammed.
Greetings:

Islam is the millstone. As long as your plan doesn't include constraining, undermining, or eradicating Islam, you don't have a plan. What you have is a hope.

As Fouad Ajami has written, those are the lands of "I against my brother; my brother and I against our cousin; my cousin, my brother, and I against the stranger" and the USofA is always the stranger, waiting cow-like to be milked or slaughtered.

To me, Islam is nothing more than the globalization of 7th Century (A.D., if I may) Arab culture under a very thin veneer of religion. Granting ideological and military sanctuaries to those of that ilk will not result anything that even our silver-tongued President could construe as a positive achievement.
Muslims have been killing themselves and others for hundreds of years. Hopefully they will increase the pace so they will eliminate themselves from civilized society.
The Arabs are trapped due to their own religion expansionist world view . They created Islam but they couldn't accept when their religion was hijack by others. Specially when the Turks first stole the tile of caliph then abolished it once and for all.
Throughout Ottoman history The Turks had more problem with Arabs than any other minority group in their empire. After WWI The Arabs expected to be the legitimate heirs of The Ottomans. But the forgot their own tribalism which now is coming to forth. They used Jewish/Israel hate to mask their own divisions.

PJ media has no problem identifying the effects of Sharia law and its demand for terrorism to achieve its goals, but completely falls flat on its face identifying the cause, which is Saudi Arabian Funding and goals of Terrorism and Sharia Law ; the overthrow of Democracy, Liberty and Freedom.
Until and unless western governments stop pretense and recognize Saudi government and system for what it is, the problems in ME and rest of world will continue.
Saudi Arabia funded the terrorist attack in Mumbia, funded terrorist attacks in Russia, Funds Hamas, funds global Sharia movement which demands overthrow of western democracy, and was involved in attack in NYC on 9/11.
Maybe one day PJ media will connect the dots.
I think there is a lot of truth to that, but I wouldn't underestimate the influence of Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Qutbists, namely Al-Queda and their obvious attack on 9/11. Qutbists and Saudi Wahabbis are more or less at loggerheads with one another while still sharing many of the same world views. It's the Qutbists who have an ideological world goal of transforming everyone into proper Muslims and using violence when they feel it fits.
1 2 Next View All