Klavan On The Culture

Right-Wing WhackJob Harvey Weinstein Produces The Giver

August 20th, 2014 - 6:13 am

Harvey Weinstein arrested for making The Giver.

Holy smokes! I guess we’ll soon see California police hustling Harvey Weinstein out of his house with a towel wrapped around his head while IRS agents trail in his wake. Isn’t that how the Obama administration treats people who make movies with different political points of view from theirs? Well then, watch out, because with the dystopian young adult story The Giver, produced by the Weinstein Company, our Harvey has decided to go the full Limbaugh.

Actually, if Rush saw this picture, he might give Harvey a call and tell him to dial it back a little. “Harve, baby, sweetheart, I get it: with Obama in office, we can all see that the left wing policies you’ve been supporting most of your life are driving the world into chaos and our nation into the grave. But that’s no reason to be so… conservative! Take a tip from your old Uncle Rush and try to stick to the middle of the road a little bit. Listen to my show and learn some moderation, know what I’m saying?”

Seriously, The Giver as filmed is a virtual diatribe against 1) equality, 2) abortion and 3) atheism — with a knock at climate regulation thrown in. No wonder it gets a low-ish 31% from reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes while human beings give it a sturdy 71%.

Maybe if we could get liberals to think conservatism was all their idea….
Kurt Vonnegut was a lefty and he gave us the most anti-lefty short story of all time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron
I don't know, Andrew.

I was just coming around to being fully indoctrinated on the beauty of forced cultural upheaval.

Radical leftists had me nearly fully convinced and onboard that throwing open the borders and importing millions of people who want to hang our flag upside down and slice off our heads is the very transformation this society needs.

The building of an altar to "multiculturalism" by "adopting" adorable hoardes of gangbangers and suicide bombers who demand absolute fealty to THEIR culture, under penalty of death, makes more sense after a few Shnazzles or Whizzies or whatever that candy/caffeine/crack concoction is called.

Don't get me wrong, I always loved our melting pot of people who waited in line and loved America, sacrificing and toiling to join our great experiment. Until I found out that all those Asians at the top of the class were really just white people underneath.

And I learned the term, White Hispanic.

Now, I'm completely confused. A guy who pushes around a convenience store clerk and blows out an officer's zygomatic arch is a gentle giant and you celebrate his "innocence" by breaking, entering, stealing and wonderful acts of arson. You convene a grand jury to act in a manner that is neither grand, nor really much of a jury.

And you continue to apologize to the suicide bombers, head slicers, drug runners, arsonists, for OUR sins as a society.

My only question is this. Who can we blame after there is nobody left?
How much more of the recanting Lefties can we take?

All this having their cake and eating it too is giving me indigestion.
Elysium, The Hunger Games, The Giver. There are two ways to view these things.

1 - The future dystopian World Government is the logical end of repressive conservative politics.

2 - The future dystopian World Government is the logical end of repressive liberal politics.

It's in the eye of the beholder, and it's no surprise that Weinstein would see no conflict between his personal views and the message behind his entertainment.
And neither one is correct! I edited an excellent postapocalyptic book (coming out soon from Liberty Island Media) in which the future dystopian World Government was caused by both sides fighting each other so hard they failed to see the REAL threat. That's what we're doing right now. But fights don't end well when one side just quits - not for the quitting side, at least.
How can a left wing whack job be a right wing whack job?
Andrew, it's always about the money for Weinstein. Karl Marx had him pegged.
And control. If you can maintain control over messages you don't agree with, you have power over them.
Harvey must be having some financial problems and needs the money. That's the way it seems to work with liberal actors and actresses in Hollywood -- they do the mainstream projects both to pay the rent and to fund their progressive vanity projects, which nobody sees but enhances their liberal street cred with the entertainment community.
Maybe if we could get liberals to think conservatism was all their idea….
Having never been an athiest or a materialist, I confess I have been mystified by those who are both. One thing I have noticed about them, and progressives in general, is a particular blindness to the nature of reality.

Both John Kerry and Obama have recently stated, in regards to the Gaza strip and the recent beheading of Foley, words to the effect that "this is not how things are done in the 21st century." Really? Just because the pages in the calendar were turned?

Truth is, there is no progress and evil abides. The same type people who manned the gas chambers and ran the gulags are present to us in the here and now. "Solutions" breed ever more problems, and so it goes on forever.
And Robert Heinlein, as Conservative an author as ever existed, wrote "Stranger in a Strange Land". The Hippy bible. In those days, American of different viewpoints didn't hate each other. Not like today, Post Clinton/Obama
I don't know, Andrew.

And I learned the term, White Hispanic.

My only question is this. Who can we blame after there is nobody left?
only ourselves...