Klavan On The Culture

Indomitable D’Souza Produces Powerful America

July 2nd, 2014 - 6:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

Dinesh D’Souza’s anti-Obama 2012 documentary 2016: Obama’s America was a surprise smash hit, earning 33 million dollars to make it one of the most successful American documentaries ever. The film put forward D’Souza’s thesis that Obama’s need to feel himself worthy of an absent radical father caused him to view America as a guilty colonialist power that had to be taken down a peg. It predicted that America’s enemies would grow stronger and its friends weaker as Obama progressed toward the end of his term. Much of what it predicted has come true.

You could tell D’Souza had hit a nerve when Obama toadies like Maureen Dowd went on the attack, accusing the Indian immigrant of racism! (What an original way for a leftist to counter an argument she doesn’t like. Funny no leftist has ever thought of it before.) But if we needed any further proof that D’Souza had in fact tapped into a rich mine of truth, it came when the federal government, now an oppressive arm of a corrupt Chicago-style Democrat machine, caught the author and filmmaker in a minor transgression of campaign finance laws and threatened to throw him in prison for over a decade. (This, after all, is the way this administration deals with inconvenient filmmakers, as we know. It’s quicker than the whole illegally-misuse-the-IRS-then-lose-the-evidence thing.)

D’Souza pled guilty; says he made a mistake; admits he’s not above the law. What he hasn’t done is fall silent in fear. Instead, he’s courageously produced a follow-up to the movie that got beneath this corrupt president’s thin skin and I’m delighted to report it’s a very good one.

When I arrived in America -not a wetback but a sailor with a job who happened to fall in love with a lovely American girl- Ronald Reagan was president. I spent the first year learning to properly speak English. I watched TV until I understood every word in every accent. One of the programs I liked was Fire Lane with Bill Buckley. I did not know the first thing about politics but I had a basic respect for other people's ideas. After about a year I was in love with the country -not a small accomplishment because at that time I was living in Boston- I could tell the difference between what I had left behind and this new reality before my eyes. I learned many things but the first shocking fact was when I enrolled in school to retrain as a computer operator. The cost of the course was about 15 grand, a lot of money at the time. After testing for Math and English I was informed that the US was willing to grant me $10,000 a one-time grant to help me get a degree. I was shocked. No one knew who I was but here there were all of you giving me a shot at life in the US. I thought long and hard about the kind of people able to muster that kind of generosity. Sure you'll say that many waste those helpful aids, etc. but I did not. And that was my first step to becoming one more American. Allow me to say: more so than many born here who abhor their own country and want to become Europeans and have "style." My becoming American was not a matter or chance -one has to be born somewhere- but a matter of careful and conscientious choice, and a matter of love. Sure the US is not a perfect country and I am sure many mistakes were made. He who is without sin can throw the first stone. ONE THING I CAN ASSURE YOU the US is the most unjustly vilified country in history. It is vilified by midgets whose main drive in life is ENVY. I am now living far away, a nine hour flight from New York but I can see how people here despise, criticize, and abhor the very country that created the global economy we all live in, the many things we enjoy, the technologies that make our life longer, easier, safer, more enjoyable. No one wants to recognize all the benefits that the whole world has reaped from American ingenuity and hard work NOT TO MENTION the generations of young Americans that gave their life fighting in foreign lands so the ingrates can call them colonialists and worse. I see with sadness in my heart that the gospel of hate and envy appears to have taken root in some American hearts. I cannot believe you have elected a series of moral midgets to rule the country. I count zero presidents since our number 40. God bless America but most of all I hope God blesses We The People, because the battle is looming and only great men and women will be able to stand and fight. I am happy in a way that it is all over again 1774 and I can make a contribution however modest for the country that stole my heart and taught me the value of freedom. God bless you, America.

(show less)
People who keep going on about Alinsky and Zinn aren't keeping up with the times. The new activists neither know nor care who those people are. It's true they may have taken up some of the leavings but they have adapted those memes for their own uses.

The memes invoked today are "settler colonialism" and "white privilege," and it is those topics that fuel illegal immigration, our greatest and most destructive battle, not Alinsky and Zinn.

Obama doesn't have his own agenda per se but is merely a placeholder for those who scream loudest and vote for him. Generally speaking Obama lives in a world of whites vs. non-whites, colonialists vs. oppressed and land-grabbers vs. those without. There are many ways to accomplish his aims since whatever discomfits whites works and the ideologies arrayed within the Rainbow Coalition are anti-white straight male to the core.
I look forward to seeing "America". Based upon the brief review here, it is rather different in its approach of letting the America haters have first crack at making their case, then letting others put things into overall perspective.

America is far from perfect and, like any human institution that ever existed on this planet, we Americans have an imperfect history. But taken in balance, and in context and comparison with all other nations and movements during our 238-year existence as a free nation, America is clearly the "shining city on the hill" that Ronald Reagan rhapsodized on 34 years ago. It is good so say so from time to time.
Andrew is right about Bono's speech being the most moving scene in the movie (who'd a thunk it?). It was very poignant and well-said.

Be sure to stick around for the credits. A wonderful rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" by Madison Rising. Available on iTunes if you're interested (and some of you will be after hearing it). :-)

Happy Fourth!
I respect D'Souza, but I'm not interested in watching America-hating socialists spout their venom.
They always compare America with a Utopia in their mind, rather than the other civilizations that have existed.
Is it any wonder America compares unfavorably?
I understand your point, but please don't let that stop you from seeing this movie. D'Souza's courage in showing the progressive's toxic historical revisionism and then thoroughly rebutting it is brilliant. It accomplishes several important things: it's a great contrast to the Left's cowardly strategy of silencing dissent and truth; it further educates us about the profound ideas that make America exceptional (I consider myself a pretty good student of American history and I learned things I didn't know) and it introduces us to neglected historical figures like Madam C.J. Walker, America's first female self-made millionaire and philanthropist, who was a freed slave.
I saw it at Wednesday's noon matinee and loved it.

It let the Leftists state their arguments on film then responded cogently and convincingly in opposition, debunking the Leftists.

But I have to admit many of the more personal scenes had me tearing up, wiping both my eyes and my glasses. And I'm no John Boehner!

At the conclusion the audience applauded.
is there an organized effort - anywhere - to have Zinn's toxic 'history' book removed from our schools and colleges?
just saw it - absolutely terrific.
I saw it this afternoon. It's everything Andrew describes here and more. It was well worth the price and time to go see it. It really made me think. There were about 40 people there to see it which wasn't bad for a Wednesday afternoon. I would be willing to bet the place will be full tonight and especially this weekend.

It is a fantastic movie and you won't be disappointed when you go to see it. Dinesh has done a grand job and as Andrew says his love of this country shows through the entire thing.

Actually, about whether Zinn is still influential or not, I read [http://www.frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/communism-for-kids-teaching-a-peoples-history-of-the-united-states-to-10-year-olds/ an article] dated back to as early as 2012 that Zinn's A People's History of the United States is actually being issued to 10 year olds, so the new activists are very much aware of and do very much care about Zinn at least. Plus, both my Junior year of High School and my penultimate semester at Oglethorpe actually had us reading an excerpt from Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen (which, BTW, was definitely influenced by Zinn, even quoting him on the front cover). Probably the only difference was that my High School American History teacher gave us that material in an attempt to teach us critical thinking, and was herself trying to promote American values, while my college experience was definitely trying to push an agenda, even supplying it on the Thursday before Columbus Day weekend (which at Oglethorpe was from Saturday to Tuesday). Ironically, I nearly fell for that stupid book back in High School yet they failed to even indoctrinate me in College. And I know at least one student who despite being a philosophy major also parroted Zinn's talking points, even going as far as to say he failed to find China in one other source. Said student, BTW, is around my age (being in his early 20s, in other words).
I am very upset that he tried to work around the campaign finance laws in a way that is specifically forbidden. We on the Right are supposed to be better than that. Now, he just comes across as another hypocrite. He gave us a black eye, and the Statists can just dismiss him as such.

It's like the supporter who torpedoed the McDaniel campaign by breaking into the nursing home. It was just enough to make McDaniel fall short of 50%, and gave Cochran the chance to win the runoff.

We have to play it straight, period.
It is poor form to like your own post. Really my boy, try to keep up.
LOL to put it simply: Don't start nothin' won't be nothin'.

We all know you've started something just as all of us have. Get your head out of the sand man.
the statists will dismiss the movie and its message for all sorts of bs reasons, Me 2.0, so there's nothing to be gained by endorsing any one of those.
and an insistence that only the unreasonably squeaky clean can have views worthy of merit rids the discourse of serious adult contributors.
Yes? We have to be perfect? McDaniel did nothing wrong, but he is guilty because one of his supporters erred? Pig man Cochran is perfect, that's why he won? I'm afraid you make no sense at all. None of us can ever be perfect.

Get up now. Go to the nearest mirror, look at yourself and say I too must be above reproach. Stop moving for 30 seconds, then say...nah.
D'Sousa pled guilty to violating the campaign finance law, and did not make excuses or try to weasel out of his liability under the law. All things considered, that is an extremely minor infraction, which does not deprive him of the right or the ability to speak his mind. I suppose you are perfect and have never violated any law or rule in your life? Me neither.
Best response from you I have read. There is hope for your soul yet.

You're right about the different - and very effective - approach, DT, but it's not just letting them have first crack it's D'Souza's respectful, non-gimmicky way of letting them present their position that is so powerful: he comes across as unafraid of their views because he is - with good reason - confident that 'sunlight is the best antiseptic.'

(show less)
Wow Catino. Great and moving writing.

(Dinesh D'Souza who immigrated from India makes similar points in his new film America)
God bless you, Sir
I'm at the theater right now, about to watch America in 20 minutes. I watched Edge of Tomorrow last night, it's set in 2020 or something like that, and in the traditional opening news-cast b-roll sequence Hillary Clinton was inserted in one of the clips, as if she'll have a place in politics in the future.
Maybe the movie is so fantastical that's the only universe she has a chance to be any more than a toilet paper designer.
1 2 Next View All