Klavan On The Culture

Happy Easter

April 18th, 2014 - 10:25 am
YouTube Preview Image

I’m writing this on Good Friday, the day that marks Christ’s crucifixion: a good day to remember just how hopeless things can seem without really being hopeless at all.

I know a lot of PJM readers are feeling pretty bad about the current political situation. And I don’t mean to happy-face anything. Our country’s in trouble. I’ve never seen a government this lawless, this unconstitutional, this unAmerican and, which in a way is worse, never saw the news media so supine, so frozen in the headlights of their own ill-considered philosophy.

But I did go through the awful Jimmy Carter years — and then there was Reagan and an amazing American quarter century followed. I lived in New York City when you couldn’t run down to the store for a pack of smokes without taking your life in your hands — and then there was Rudy Giuliani and the place was utterly transformed. And all the while those political heroes were working their magic, the media screamed like the Exorcist girl with the demon inside her.

I’m not saying that’ll happen again. Maybe there’s no one around with the Reagan-Giuliani brains and courage. But to those of you who leave comments here and write to me and say there’s no hope, ask yourself what you would have said on the first Good Friday.

And have a happy Easter.

God is good.
The quote from today's paper reminded me of this wonderful article so I decided to share it: "Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song." John Paul II
Andrew, thank you.
Andrew, I can agree with you mostly, but only up to a point regarding your comparative moment in history between the Carter years and today. It surely applies but not fully. Seems the fight is much tougher yet today because our society has advanced much further into a progressive mass mental hysteria. People are paralyzed with indecision as the institutions are hardening their grip. Sounds pretty grim, I know but I'm not saying we cannot reverse the trends with great effort either. What I am saying is, we're in a spot unlike anything we've faced at home before. I do pray, as you suggest, that there may be great surprises around the corner. Amen to that and Happy Easter Brother.
Let us not forget that during the 70's America went through a very subversive, powerful, transcendent transformation under the radar and concurrent with the disaster of the rise of the New Left, the sexual revolution, the destruction of a generation through drugs and utter moral decadence...no one knew what was going on at first, but later, they called it "The Jesus Movement." Millions of young people lost in drugs and decadent pop culture almost overnight became Christians and changed our nation. Like a tide, the churches gradually became filled with young people and the limping refugees from the 60's and 70's. It was OUR VOTE that elected Reagan...for most of us it our very first vote. The Reagan years and subsequent turnaround was a result, not the cause of the ascent from putrid darkness.

It can happen again, but only the way it happened then. I was there. I was one. I saw it. IF my people will humble themselves...repent...and cry out..I will answer from heaven." (2 Chron. 7:14.) What have we left to lose? After Friday, came Resurrection Sunday. Happy Easter!
The Voice of Truth and Easter Greetings....

Thank you!
Thank you, Andrew Klavan, and Happy Easter.
GOD built this roller coaster so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Weeeeee.....
I remember the first time I casually strolled through Times Square and Central Park in NYC at night and felt safe. I had been to both places in daytime before Giuliani and felt it necessary to take precautions to avoid being mugged while there. Changes can come rapidly. It takes effort and character and vision. We don't have to merely accept the status quo. I have an Easter party to go to...
Christ is Risen! XPICTOC ANECTH! XPICTOC BOCKPECE!
As long as there is faith, there is hope.
Light will always overpower darkness...

This Sunday Christians find themselves one more time before the mystery of the Resurrection. The Church is definitely in the same state of confusion that the disciples experienced after the Crucifixion. The ground we tread is treacherously uneven, the old security is gone. In times like these we need to refocus on the Resurrection and learn the lesson as John did. He was the only disciple who followed Jesus all the way to the Cross; he kept close to Mary and Jesus through thick and thin, even when the whole Church abandoned the Master, a bishop betrayed Him with a kiss, and His Pope denied Him three times. The powers of the Heavens were shaken before John’s unshakeable faith. His reward was firstly the company of Our Blessed Mother, and secondly to see the empty tomb. The certainty of the Resurrection was there for him in a familiar sign: a piece of cloth folded and put aside in the manner Jesus must always have done, every morning since childhood when His mother taught Him the daily routines of their simple life.

Out of breath and some distance behind him Peter was trying to catch up while John respectfully waited for him to enter the tomb first. In Jerusalem ten bishops were cowering behind closed doors. Outside the city walls the traitor was about to hang himself.

It is obvious that the years ahead are going to be tough for all believers. Some will deny Him again; some will try to accommodate to the ways of the world trying to “stay in the middle” as they cowardly try to survive; some will take the money and seal their perdition with an unfaithful kiss ... but we must strive to be like John. We are already familiar with the ways of Christ and know His every move just like the bride knows all about the groom. If God gives us the grace we will be there to see the light of even a more glorious Sunday morning and laugh as we shout joyfully: Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed!
1 2 3 Next View All