Klavan On The Culture

300 Sequel: The Bush-Era Thrill Is Gone

March 19th, 2014 - 8:10 am

300-Rise-of-an-Empire-Artemisia

I think 300 is easily one of the best movies of the last twenty years, the only movie I’ve seen twice in a week since Hitchcock died, a film that will be re-watched and remembered long after most if not all of the prestige art films of our day are forgotten.

The tale of the Spartan battle against the Persians at Thermopylae was released in 2006, when Hollywood, entering its most shameful days, was beginning to churn out despicable anti-war on terror and anti-military propaganda even while American sons were actually on the battlefield in harm’s way. 300 was instead a stirring W-style call to defend the age-old values of the west against an oppressive and ignorant foreign invader.

But what made the film special — even brilliant — was the wild, confident imagination it brought to the screen from Frank Miller’s graphic novel. Though the story stayed very faithful to the history in Herodotus, it introduced fantastical beasts, over-the-top video game violence, outsized characters and even bulked-up muscle suits to give the story a larger-than-life feel. It was as if the movie was saying to the Islamic-fascists who had attacked us: “You think we’re decadent because we sit around and play video games? Let us show you the sort of western courage that inspired those games, Islamo-schmuck!”

There are no oversized figures in this movie, because it features Athenians, not Spartans. Leonides made this point in 300 when he asked the professions of other Greeks marching to Thermopolye. Sculptors, masons, blacksmiths. Sparta brought warriors.

In a way, this movie demonstrates an even greater threat to Islamo Schmucks. It might be expected for the Spartans to stand up and kick their butts, but if you get your butts kicked by farmers and tradesmen fighting for their freedom, that is even more significant.

Marines are a force to be reckoned with, but there were no Marines on 9/11 Flight 93. Even so, Todd Beamer called, "Let's Roll".
Liberals in SF and comic fandom viscerally hate Frank Miller as an Islamophobic racist; far worse than Bush. SF author David Brin did an epic takedown of the original Miller film based on historic inaccuracies, abileisms and racism. Brin was one of the leaders of PC SF back in the mid-'80s with his sentient dophins and monkeys.

Lambasting a film for inaccuracy is weird considering it was adapted from a comic book.
my best friend's sister makes $72 /hour on the computer . She has been without work for eight months but last month her check was $17391 just working on the computer for a few hours. find out here ;;;; x.co/48UAu
x.co/48UAu
my friend's mom makes $88 hourly on the computer . She has been out of work for 9 months but last month her payment was $12261 just working on the computer for a few hours. check this site out==========>>> http://www.works12.com
►►➨➨►► My last pay check was $8500 working 10 hours a week online. My younger brother friend has been averaging 12k for months now and he works about 22 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,

➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨ W­W­W.W­O­R­K­7­6.ℭ­O­M
I saw the movie last weekend.

It was horrid. I wanted to leave the theater.

Like you, Andrew, I thought 300 was one of the greatest movies made in the last 20 years. It was tightly written. Heroic. Had reasonable connection to history - there were a few liberties taken with the known facts but they were digestible. There were no wasted scenes in the movie. The action covered a few days (3 for the battle and some run-up). The acting was fine.

Rise of Empire was wordy. Endless speeches by everyone. You were told not shown. It covered 10 years. The liberties taken with history were NOT digestible - Themistocles did not shoot Darius with an arrow at Marathon! That was ridiculous.

The writers of Rise made the all-too-common error of taking things that worked in the first movie and over-did them in the second. The amount of gore was a good example. In 300, there was some gore but it wasn't overdone. In Rise, it was a central character in the story, it seemed. Far too much time on screen. In 300 there are a couple of rousing speeches - in Rise the whole movie was an endless parade of boring speeches.

I realize that the Spartans (from Laconia) were, well......laconic. But man, in Rise I was wishing everyone would just.....shut....up. And the trite things they said straight out of the 1950's! Attempts at stirring speeches everywhere which were neither stirring nor needed. In 300, volumes were said with this one line:

"Immortals......we'll put their name to the test."

I could just barely stomach the use of Ephialtes to give the bad intel to the Persians, but like Andrew, I could NOT handle the treatment of the Battle of Salamis. It didn't start with a half-dozen Greek ships making a Kamikaze run at hundreds of Persian ships. It was the Marathon and Thermopylae tactic taken to victory. And Sparta was not a major naval power. Sparta was there but the real Spartan contribution to final victory over the Persians was at Plataea.

I rarely run across movies that are so bad that I want to leave the theater. Rise of Empire was one of them. Possibly because I had so much hope for it, and was hugely disappointed.

I didn't fully support the movie's acclaim because they made Leonidas' wife into a prostitute for Hollywood profit.

There's a big difference between illusion and real space. Gates of Fire is more ideologically pure.

As for Brin, check out the dirt that we still got on him here, from before the 08 elections.

davidbrin.blogspot.com/2008/09/under-appreciated-issues-that-nobody.html

Since the so called "sci fi writers" like time travel, how's that for a bit of time travel?

Now that's one jihadist for B Hussein O. A cultist. A religious fanatic. The mask came off cause he thought he was in his own fortress of ideological commenters and supporters. Well, Hussein's mask came off soon, for the 68% of the retarded human community: Leftist cannonfodder in all but name.

Brin, like Scalzi, are busy raking in the profit, while ensuring that nobody else, including writers, will be able to do the same thing given the government monopoly on wealth and success.
well, this one had the man and two boys in my life going to see it. Then they came home, looked up the real history, found real books and started reading everything they could get their hands on. They researched it on Wikipedia.

They read a chapter of Savior Generals that was on the nook. It had been for sale in January. It had been on the nook for months. And- I wouldn't have bought it, except for being on sale.

So, in my house at least, it worked gangbusters.

They are also hunting out parody videos and sharing them. Anything that has people playing together happily is good.

And, hey, any other filmmaker that wants to make a big movie with cool many stuff in it, even over the top--they've got an audience.

Why was this republished without the earlier comments? PJM seems to do this on a regular basis, but I'm not understanding the reasoning. I showed the first post to my daughter and we reviewed the errors in the photo. I went to show it to my husband, and found that my comment had been left in the "Lifestyle ghetto".
I would like to remind PJM scribblers that Aeschylus donned armor, picked up his sword and actually fought in the Battle of Salamis. Judging by his example, perhaps there is a time to lay down the pen and actually do something....to act upon what you profess.

Very true, Brent. But that's why I objected to the film's plot. The real battle of Salamis was a masterpiece of Athenian strategy. (see the excellent book by my friend Barry Strauss) - but in the film, Themistocles essentially says, "Enough strategy! Let's have at em!" You & I got the point of the battle — the filmmakers didn't.
The Athenians exiled Themistocles after they were done using him.

Sounds very familiar to modern day American life.
I thought it was pretty good. Eva Green is HOT!
1 2 Next View All