Klavan On The Culture

McConnell Gives His Side of the Story

March 10th, 2014 - 3:16 pm

It seems only fair to post Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s response to the foofaraw started by the quote I posted about below. McConnell tells my friends over at Truth Revolt that he is not attacking the Tea Party at all. Rather he feels that the Senate Conservatives Fund is a fake, pretending to support conservatism while undermining it. Here’s the quote:

I’ve always been and continue to be a big supporter of the Tea Party and the conservative change it’s bringing to Washington. One of the biggest obstacles to that change, however, is the Senate Conservatives Fund, a rogue political operation that has co-opted the Liberty movement for its own enrichment to the detriment of the conservative cause. This is a point that I have been making repeatedly and energetically over the past several months, because in my view this group has deceived a lot of good people. They claim to share our goals but undermine them at every turn. I think they should be stopped, and I don’t mind saying so.

This needs to be taken seriously because A) Ann Coulter suggested as much in the talk with Sean Hannity I posted about earlier and B) it’s plausible someone would do that for any number of reasons.

The original New York Times story in which McConnell said he was going to crush the opposition made it seem the senator was making a “move to stamp out challenges from the right,” as the headline said. But McConnell’s argument is instead that these challenges are fakes. That doesn’t necessarily mean the primary candidate himself is fake, but it could mean he’s been put in play for reasons of pure profit or even to aid the Democrats. As I mentioned, McConnell has a fight on his hands in the main election.

There are things that McConnell has done that I disagree with strongly, but he is definitely NOT a RINO — that’s just unfair. The American Conservative Union routinely ranks him near the top but, if that’s too swishy for you, the Heritage Action for America scorecard gives him an 80 percent, which may not be Ivory Conservative Soap, but it’s pretty good, especially from HAA. I mean, again as I said in my first post, no one should be primarying the guy. If you’re really going to be messing with Republicans at this crisis moment, primary someone in the John McCain (43%) range. Better yet, save your fire for the party that single-handedly brought you ObamaCare.

Anyway, McConnell should’ve been clearer in his original statement, but perhaps I should blame the way the Times played it. In any case, we really do have to try not to be stupid. There are two halves to the circle in a circular firing squad. One half is made of politicians without principle, the other is made of voters without good sense. Leftists claim their good intentions justify their crappy results. Republican voters don’t have that luxury.

McConnell is a RINO through and through. Look at the timing of some of his so called conservative votes...for example, he sat on the fence for weeks or months testing the waters before voting against amnesty. He acts like the turtle he looks like...pulls his head in, doesn't fight for anything, then sticks out his neck when he thinks it looks safe.
My problem with McConnell isn't that about his voting record, it is about his distinct lack of leadership.

Let's take his statement that led to this post. Referencing Tea Party candidates, he said, “I think we are going to crush them everywhere. I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country.”

As a leader, how does this statement serve to represent himself and the GOP? It seems to imply that McConnell is more interested in attacking Tea Party candidates than Democrats. That would be like Obama being more interested in attacking GLAAD than Republicans. In essence, McConnell is a less competent leader than Obama. Let that sink in a bit.
"... but he is definitely NOT a RINO - that's just unfair."This is a strawman argument, Andrew. McConnell, McCain, Cornyn, Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy are GOP establishment members of the Ruling Class. They provide more support for Democrat members of the Ruling Class than they do for constitutional conservatives and/or Tea Party patriots running against their Ruling Class comrades. The only principle they will fight for is the principle of staying in office and keeping their seat at the trough! They won't fight for smaller government because they don't believe in it; they believe in Big Government, but with themselves in control. They vote with conservatives when it suits their objective and against them when it doesn't.

Mitch McConnell has more in common with Harry Reid than he has with Ted Cruz!
He has been coasting along on his secure job with all its collegial aspects for years. I have lots of complaints about the tea party....mostly their support for candidates who could never win. They are a very stubborn bunch.
"There are things that McConnell has done that I disagree with strongly, but he is definitely NOT a RINO — that’s just unfair."

Hey Andrew, I LOVE your fiction. Keep up the good work!
Sorry, he's an incumbent. If we really, and I mean REALLY, want change - then we have to fire these guys. All of them. Of whatever party. Fire them all. Do I mean even those that I might agree with? YES! The only way the political establishment will get it is if we FIRE THEM ALL!

Side Note: I have to admit, that's easy for me to say. I'm from the Democratic Socialist Peoples Republic of Maryland, so to fire them all I'd have to vote a straight Republican ticket (since there's no such thing as a Republican Congress critter from Maryland, well - central Maryland anyway, where all the voters are...). In my defense, that's what I've done all along anyway.
The one thing we Conservatives must remember. Fight as hard as you can for your candidate during the Primary. But then, fight for who ever wins in the primary to win the general election. Anyone, I mean anyone will be better than the one that the Democrats put up.
>> but he is definitely NOT a RINO — that’s just unfair.

Did you stomp your foot after you wrote that line?
Polls - shmolls - usually
But, isn't mc____less now trailing the probable demtard?
The TP & SCF favorite has cred & $$ problems
KY doesn't like him much ...
KY Senate seat will be a pub loss
Please work for other win capable, conservative U.S. Senate candidates.
I'm glad to hear McConnell was quoted incorrectly, and I'd prefer he consider the Tea Party his partner and the Democrats aka Communist Party is our opposition. That said, I'd prefer a more aggressive Senate majority leader, the enemy is really the enemy.
Contrary to the views expressed by many, the Kentucky Senate seat does not belong to Mitch McConnell or to the beltway insiders. It belongs to the people of Kentucky.

We are tired of McConnell's leadership and now have the opportunity to elect Matt Bevin, a candidate who will do a better job representing us. As a bonus, Matt Bevin has a much better chance of beating the Democrat opponent in the general election than does McConnell.

Don't conservatives say that competition is a good thing? Certainly, competition for elective office helps hold elected officials more accountable to the people, which is a very good thing. I understand why politicians don't like it. They want to keep getting re-elected as a matter of right, but that's not the way it is supposed to work. Best wishes and many thanks to Matt Bevin!
Most of those commenting on this blog are well to the right of the center of the electorate in most states. I think it is fine to try to convince the rest of the electorate to move in that direction; but in the meantime there are practical issues of winning elections, holding majorities and minimizing the damage from very liberal appointments ( think the Supreme Court). Challenging sitting officials with reasonable conservative credentials just plays intot the hands of the other side.
Amen.