News & Politics

DeVos Calls for Title IX Sexual Assault Guideline Rollback

Betsy DeVos Betsy DeVos Confirmation Hearing, Washington DC, USA - 17 Jan 2017. (Rex Features via AP Images)

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos was a controversial pick for her job, to say the least. The left vilified her in every way possible, painting her as anti-education simply because she didn’t share their ideas on education reform.

As a result, DeVos probably doesn’t really care too much what the left actually has to say about anything. That’s handy because her announcement this week regarding Title IX and Obama-era sexual assault guidelines is sure to rile them up.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said Thursday that the Trump administration believes Obama-era guidance regarding sexual assault on college campuses denied due process against accused perpetrators and is planning to overturn those guidelines.

“One assault is one too many, one aggressive act of harassment is one too many, one person denied due process is one too many,” DeVos said speaking at George Mason University’s Arlington, Virginia campus.

DeVos thanked her predecessors for bringing the issue of campus sexual assault to light but said “good intentions alone are not enough.”

“The truth is that the system established by the prior administration has failed too many students. Survivors, victims of a lack of due process, and campus administrators have all told me that the current approach does a disservice to everyone involved,” DeVos said.

It has been widely speculated that Title IX policies would see changes under the Trump administration.

“In order to ensure that America’s schools employ clear, equitable, just and fair procedures that inspire trust and confidence, we will launch a transparent notice-and-comment process to incorporate the insights of all parties in developing a better way,” DeVos said Thursday.

DeVos is 100 percent correct. Even one sexual assault is too many. However, she’s also right that one person denied due process is too many as well.

Schools are bending over backward for those claiming to have been sexually assaulted, which isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, but they’re doing so at the expense of innocent people in many cases.

No one wants rapists to be able to walk around free and clear, without a care in the world. Also, no one should want to see innocent men railroaded, yet that’s exactly what happens in far too many cases.

Further, victimhood can be seen as desirable in many instances, which can lead to false accusations with absolutely no ramifications on the accuser if caught. In fact, any accusation that’s not immediately taken as the gospel truth is taken as proof the school doesn’t take sexual assault seriously. The alleged victim is given more attention and affection from activists, thus feeding insecurities that may have led to the false accusation in the first place.

Unfortunately, there’s little Sec. DeVos can do about that. However, revisiting this misapplication of Title IX is a step in the right direction.

DeVos is opening up the process to public comment and says she will seek input from various groups. That should have been done in the first place, but the Obama administration wasn’t worried about things like legality when there was grandstanding to be done.

Since then, numerous men and women have been impacted by Title IX witch hunts, all for political points.