Way back in the misty depths of six weeks ago, the full force of the American media smashed down upon a teenager from Kentucky named Nick Sandmann. He appeared in a brief video that went viral, and the Woke Resistance Brigade went completely insane. Full-grown men and women threatened to punch Sandmann, get him expelled from school, and otherwise interfere with his life in deeply unpleasant ways. Once-reputable news outlets devoted themselves to destroying a child for the crime of wearing a red hat. It was the most repulsively hostile and bigoted temper tantrum the media threw that entire week.
And it was all based on lies. None of what activist/fabulist Nathan Phillips said about the incident was true, as you can see here:
They were all wrong. Once they realized it, they did what they always do. They pretended it never happened, and moved right along to the next manufactured outrage. They tried to ruin that kid’s life, and then they didn’t give him so much as a “My bad.”
One of the outlets that defamed Nick Sandmann was the Washington Post, and now he’s suing them for $250 million. (That’s how much Jeff Bezos paid for the Post, and it’s also how much he’s earned in the past 18 hours.) Well, the newspaper should change its tagline to “Democracy Dies at 5 on a Friday,” because that’s when they finally addressed the matter. From their “Editor’s note related to Lincoln Memorial incident”:
A Washington Post article first posted online on Jan. 19 reported on a Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial. Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story — including that Native American activist Nathan Phillips was prevented by one student from moving on, that his group had been taunted by the students in the lead-up to the encounter, and that the students were trying to instigate a conflict… Subsequent Post coverage, including video, reported these developments: “Viral standoff between a tribal elder and a high schooler is more complicated than it first seemed”; “Kentucky bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students, says he expects their exoneration”; “Investigation finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ in Mall incident.”
I’m no lawyer, but I think they’re saying they screwed up, but then they fixed it?
If they thought that was going to solve the problem, Sandmann’s lawyers disagree. L. Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry write:
In a span of 3 days beginning on January 19, The Washington Post rushed to claim leadership of a mainstream and social media mob of bullies who falsely attacked, vilified and threatened Nicholas Sandmann, an innocent 16-year old boy. Late last Friday evening, 41 days after it launched its false attacks on a minor, the Post published an Editor’s Note and delivered to Nicholas’ lawyers a letter from its General Counsel, Jay Kennedy. With its unlimited financial resources, the Post likely spent tens of thousands of dollars on media defense lawyers to publicly parse and spin its false coverage in an effort to avoid accountability and limit its legal responsibility for its wrongdoing. The Post’s efforts were too little and too late…
Mr. Kennedy’s letter stated that the Post “provided accurate coverage.” It did not and its belated public relations efforts change nothing and fool no one.
Read the whole thing. I assume everything they say applies equally to the horse Bezos rode in on.
The media, which is now the #Resistance, sees children as nothing but puppets. When they’re not pushing children in front of politicians to coerce them into rubber-stamping socialist policies, they’re trying to ruin a child’s life for wearing the wrong hat in public. They’re out of control, and I’m rooting for Nick Sandmann as he fights back. If they’ll do this to a kid for no reason other than his choice of headwear, they’ll do it to any of us.