Less Than 30% of Professors Are Full Time Faculty

via 5 Infuriating Things Nobody Tells You About College |

Unfortunately, the notion of college professors as scholarly experts who inspire learning is as outdated as the idea of getting a job after graduating from college. Fewer than 30 percent of all professors are full-time faculty. The other 70 percent are the underpaid, unwashed masses doing most of the teaching, and, in many cases, doing it poorly.About 32 percent of all courses are taught by grad students attempting to stave off unemployment. What makes them qualified to do a job previously performed by tenured Ph.D.s? Nothing! Only half of teaching assistants get any sort of meaningful instruction on how to teach, where “meaningful” can mean a five-hour, completely optional seminar. The rest walk in on the first day of class and reflexively stumble toward the back row before realizing, “Shit. I need to be up here now.”

Related at PJ Lifestyle:
7 WRONG Ways to Decide Your Life’s Career
This Is The Way The Higher Education Bubble Ends…
3 Reasons Higher Education Is Broken — and How To Fix It