We’ve all done it. You’re in your car, it’s a beautiful, warm day, you have the windows down and you’re feeling good. All of a sudden, a killer song comes on the radio and you crank it up for a little car karaoke. Wham-o! Instant dance party happenin’ in your car, with you yelling, “This is my jam!” There are so many good ones, but here are my top 15 picks for jams we belt out in our cars without a care.
1. “Uptown Funk” — Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson
This song gets me dancing in my car every time! You know you’re “too hot!” Yeah, it’s my jam.
2. “Don’t Stop Believin'” — Journey
Journey is one of the coolest classic bands of the ’80s. Perry had a voice like no other.
3. “Bust a Move” — Young MC
This song is classic late ’80s hip hop, with a cool hook and a danceability factor of 10!
4. “Sweet Home Alabama” — Lynyrd Skynyrd
This song just might be the poster child for classic rock greatness!
5. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” — Guns N’ Roses
This was one of my favorite bands when I was a kid. The scene from Step Brothers makes this song that much more awesome.
6. “Livin’ On A Prayer” — Bon Jovi
Get ready to overdose on nostalgia! Hair bands ruled the earth in the ’80s, and Bon Jovi ruled them all.
7. “Walk This Way” — Run–D.M.C.
When cool white folks meet cool black folks, you get this little ditty!
8. “Fight For Your Right” — Beastie Boys
The ultimate “fight the man” song, it got plenty of time in the MTV rotation (that’s when MTV actually played music videos). Love my boys!
9. “Brown Eyed Girl” — Van Morrison
This happy-go-lucky tune just lifts our spirits and gets us groovin’. Perfect for a warm spring day!
10. “Rapper’s Delight” — The Sugarhill Gang
This song brings a smile to our faces. Everyone do the Robot. What else can we say?
11. “You Can Call Me Al” — Paul Simon
This song is just fun! “Call me Al!” Totally.
12. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” — Whitney Houston
Possibly one of the best voices in history, gone too soon. I wanna dance now!
13. “Get Lucky” — Daft Punk
Two of my favorite robots since childhood. They had to be added to the list!
14. “Hand in My Pocket” — Alanis Morissette
This woman sure had a chip on her shoulder, but we can’t resist singing along to this catchy anthem!
15. “Sunday Bloody Sunday” — U2
I could not leave this band off of this list. One of the original bands to perform at Live Aid, it brings back memories.