VodkaPundit

Your ♡bamaCare!!! Fail of the Day

March 27th, 2014 - 7:27 am

MR-PINK

“Liberal journalist feels mugged by Obamacare”

Oy. That’s the headline to David Freddoso’s writeup of Eric Lee’s NYT op-ed, which is so full of schadenfreude goodness I must quote it at length:

Nelson’s health insurance covered 90 percent of the costs after a reasonable $500 deductible. I’m happy he has such good health coverage. He’s my dog. And I’m jealous of him.

He has the kind of health care that I’d hoped the Affordable Care Act would usher in for those who, like my wife and me, have to buy health insurance on the open market. I’d long been frustrated at how health care shackles people to corporate jobs. I believed this legislation, signed four years ago this month, would free people to pursue their dreams, start new companies and not worry about the health insurance penalty.

What I didn’t count on was that it would make things harder for me and my wife.

First, we were notified that we would be kicked out of our existing $263-a-month Anthem Blue Cross plan because it didn’t meet the minimum standards of the new law. No problem, I thought. The plans in the new Covered California exchange would most likely be better and cheaper.

But we were shocked at what we confronted. The least expensive premium for a couple like us in our 40s would be about $620 a month. And because our household adjusted gross income is likely to be over the $62,040 cutoff this year, it’s doubtful we’ll end up with a subsidy to help offset that price increase.

Having always had insurance, we began to wonder if we might have to go uninsured, but in the end, we enrolled. It’s as if we just bought a new car that we will never see and that we can never pay off.

He says he finds “solace” that ♡bamaCare!!! is reputedly helping “a great number of people.”

I wonder how many routine medical bills his solace will cover.

What continues to bother me in all this is the simple fact that insurance isn't meant to cover "routine medical bills". That's what cash is for.

Limit insurance to the big-ticket items where cash isn't adequate, and a large part of this whole problem goes away.
Republicans warned him of all this and he voted for OBama twice anyway.

Republicans are now warning that HillaryCare 2 will be bad and he will vote for her anyway.

How do we get people to start believing us? Mug them harder, I guess.
I find no "solace" in the number of people to whom ♡bamaCare is redistributing what little wealth our family manages to retain.
" start new companies and not worry about the health insurance penalty."

My father started two businesses, one in the 1970s one in the 1980s while worrying about our health insurance. Lee needs to grow up.
Good. Suckle upon it, vile prog.

I agree. I make the analogy of car insurance - think about how much it would cost if it had to cover oil changes and the like. In fact, think about how much oil changes would cost!
Which is what has happened to dental care recently. It used to be, not cheap, but quite reasonably priced for solid professional service. Then about 25-30 years ago, the Top Jobs started offering dental insurance coverage for their high-end professionals... and now you need some sort of insurance plan even to afford regular visits and routine treatments, let alone high-end stuff like braces and implants. But fewer than half of all jobs with benefits offer dental plans. So society as a whole ends up worse off than before on average - but the neo-gentry lefties are set, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?
Yep. Sadly, the kind of catastrophic coverage I would prefer to buy has been made illegal under ♡bamaCare!!!'s strictures. Instead, insurance is a sort of pre-pat system, where the insurance company takes a slice of every transaction, while shielding customers from the outrageous fees levied by their doctors and hospitals, and the outrageous compliance costs foisted on them by Uncle Sam.
This! Times infinity!

I wish I could beat this into the heads of our politicians, progressives and media commentators. Maybe I should get a baseball bat engraved with, "Insurance is not meant for routine maintenance!"