VodkaPundit

It’s the Ubuntu Superphone!

July 22nd, 2013 - 9:47 am

I’m not kidding:

Key to the Ubuntu Edge is the aim to bridge the gap between mobile phones and PCs. To accomplish that, the Edge will be designed to run a full-fledged Ubuntu desktop operating system alongside Android. While specs are currently tentative, the company is aiming to outfit the Edge with a quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Meanwhile, the phone itself will sport a 4.5-inch, 1,280 x 720 display that’s constructed of sapphire crystal glass, an 8MP rear / 2MP front-facing camera and stereo speakers. As for connectivity, Canonical’s eyeing LTE connectivity, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, along with MHL support for HDTVs and the like.

That’s a helluva phone/computer thing, and it will retail unlocked, unsubsidized for $830. Cheap? No. But it’s also unique and should market well to a niche of power users who won’t mind ponying up for an Ubuntu-based superphone.

I wonder what this will do to the top of Samsung’s line, if they start losing big-money customers who have had to “make do,” if that term could possible apply here, with Galaxy phones.

Only if you can get Angry Birds on it....
Its not going to do anything to Samsung's market share. Its market is a niche of people who want to be able to have direct control of their phone software. A failrly tiny market that is a subset of Linux users.

So I gotta have one ...
Having played with Ubuntu Touch, I will say it is sexy. Canonical has brought a lot of appeal to Ubuntu and Linux in general. That said, they say clearly on indiegogo, if they do not meet the $32M in 30 days, the edge doesn't exist. So they have to pull off $1M+ per day for an unproven, nonexistent device for an operating system who's selling point is that it's free? We will see.

I agree that convergence is the future, though I think software convergence is just the tip of the spear. If you are going to buy processors, ram, and battery/power supply for 2-4 devices, why shouldn't all that power be stackable? Stick a tablet in a dock, switch the interface automatically and gain additional hardware horsepower from the doc. It's a more expandable and economical approach for enterprises and as external ports (thunderbolt, USB 3, etc) acheive higher speed and bandwidth, this could become a possibility.
Meh. While the promise of Win8 was enchanting when it was first being hyped, since then Android has gotten sufficiently better, and the cloud apps have gotten sufficiently better, this just seems like a 2013 solution to a 2011 problem.
Why, of course. Just the other day I was saying, you know, I wish my iPhone had half as much battery life, cost twice as much, and ran something with a UI cranked out by the sort of people who think Gnome is something usable by normal humans. Yes! That's exactly what my iPhone is missing: Hierarchical menus.

... but then, the Purple Drank wore off.

So it'll have shitty-as-hell battery life and cost a fortune?

(I say the former because one of the interesting things about ram is how it uses battery power.

The iPhone only has 512 megs because adding more ram would increase power usage enough to seriously impact battery life; something like a watt or two per gig, and that's for "slow" phone ram.

Four gigs? Bet it ships with less - or gets useless battery life.

(But then the idea of wanting Linux on a desktop at all baffles me*, let alone on your phone.

* And I say this as someone who's used it since 1995 or so, and runs it as a home server platform 24/7.

But X, on a 4.5 inch 720p display? Why?)
I need to double check but I think X is being replaced in Ubuntu and wont' be in the phone OS.
Clarification: the 4/4S has 512 megs; the 5 has a full gig - and a bigger battery than the 4.
Not a big Ubuntu fan, but I feel this will have a great impact in open source GIS World. Hopefully; Mint. Fedora, Arch Linux, OpenSUSE etc. will get in the game as well and bring cost down.

One Trackback to “It’s the Ubuntu Superphone!”