VodkaPundit

The Switch is Over

July 19th, 2013 - 12:00 pm

Farhad Manjoo gave up his iPhone for a couple of high-end Android devices from Samsung and HTC. Here’s what happened:

Altogether I experienced the best and worst of Android—and I saw, up close, Android’s basic problem. I’d sum it up as follows. Google makes a fine mobile operating system. Some phone manufacturers make attractive, powerful Android handsets. These phones have the potential to be really wonderful machines, even as great as Apple’s flagship phone. But then, at the last second, the phone makers and the world’s cellular carriers snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They ruin the phones’ potential with unnecessary features and apps that lower the devices’ battery life, uglify their home screens, and make everything you want to do extra annoying.

This is one of the most important advantages Apple has over Android devices. When you buy an iPhone, it works exactly as Apple intended; it’s never adulterated by “features” that the company didn’t approve. But when you buy an Android phone, even a really great one, you’re not getting the device that Google’s designers had in mind when they created the OS. You’re not even getting the device that the phone manufacturer—Samsung and HTC, in this case—had in mind. Instead you’re getting a bastardized version, a phone replete with software that has been altered by many players along the way, usually in a clumsy, money-grubbing fashion.

He’s going back to his iPhone.

It really does pay to control the whole widget. And that’s more than just the hardware and software, that control should also extend from the manufacturing floor all the way into the customer’s hands. Google does indeed make a fine mobile OS. But as soon as it leaves Mountain View, Google’s loses any control over what happens to it.

Just a note to the "full control" people: You want full control? Awesome. $99 / year makes you an iPhone developer. You get a certificate that lets you build and install anything you want on your iPhone, and up to 99 other iPhones. At that point you really will have "full control" over your phone..

And you won't have to deal with phone carrier apps piled on top of handset maker apps piled on top of the OS. You'll get something where everything is designed to work together, and you only have to fix the things you don't like.
I used Microsoft for decades because it was THE computer compatible with most business users. After I retired I quickly got tired of the twice weekly Microsoft updates and failing (fried-overheated), overpriced modems. I bought the biggest Mac-Pro desktop I could find...and it has never failed me. I am a little strange , I guess, because I want a computer that computes and a cell phone that makes phone calls. My average cell phone cost is $8.25 a month. I recently spend $30.00 to upgrade my cell phone to an LG (semi-smart) phone and I still pay $8.25 a month (the free Nokia I owned had a screen that was impossible to see on a sunny day even in the shade). I feel no urge to check the weather, the Dow-Jones and latest political polls on my phone nor do I want to use my computer from my tiny phone screen nor want to see a nanny cam . I do not know what OS my LG uses and do not care. If there is an App out there I might want I do not know about it and do not care. So, keep your pocket sized , all-in-one, everything phone I have the best of everything important to me where and when I want it.
"It really does pay to control the whole widget"

Funny - that's the reason I have never used and will never use any Apple products. I know what I want my phone to do better than an Apple engineer, be his design ever so sleek, knows what I want my phone to do.
I couldn't agree more. I love the android os. But I love using my phone more and that's why I switched. I don't have to root to get Verizon garbage or Samsung garbage off my phone. I don't have to worry near as much about "will my phone support the latest os".

And yes, Nexus gives pure Android and ensures a certain degree of upgradability... Unless your on Verizon because the modem is different. Or they come out with a new Nexus that is oh so much better and they just can't be bothered to update the old. Or the sun shined the wrong way. And of course you pay a premium to take whatever kick in the teeth Google or Verizon delivers on the Nexus.

Simply put, Apple takes care of ME, their customer. Google just makes me look good for advertisers, their customers. That's why I'm switching completely to Apple, and I hate saying that.
The key difference is that with iOS, Apple designed something that would help humans utilize mobile computing with their traditional zeal for design elegance and simplicity. Nobody has really done anything groundbreaking with a smartphone, so why don't we? If people use it, great. If not, they can keep the XServes company.

Google, on the other hand, built a mobile OS to compete with Apple, and for really no other reason than attempted market dominance. Their only real play is that it's slightly more linux-y and slightly more open-y, which is great if you're trying to attract anti-Apple zealots. Not so great for normal humans who just want a nice looking e-brick that lets them do things quickly and easily.

Google glass is built on the same ethos. This is the way of the future! All aboard for awesomeville!

Followed by: Well, screw you people if you just don't understand how awesome we are.
When it's Google, it's more like "Come into my parlor, said the spider...".
So, get a Nexus device? Pure Android. I'm very pleased with mine. My wife likes her's better than her former company iPhone.
I've never been a fan of centralized control. I'll take my chances with Android any day!