VodkaPundit

Arkansas Goes Insane

June 13th, 2013 - 2:14 pm

Opts out of concealed carry, opts in to stupid:

Sharon Houlette, a detective with the UALR Department of Public Safety, responded to the [email] thread [about campus violence] with advice for avoiding being attacked, which included a suggestion to “glance or nod” at possible attackers.

“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence,” she wrote.

Always remember: you can get more with a nod and a gun than you can with just a nod.

We're talking about giving a look and a nod to a sociopath.

That can be a very, very bad idea.
A glance and a nod will work in polite society. A mugger is not likely to respond to polite gestures. You carry a gun for those (thankfully rare) awful times when nothing less will stop the attack.

I hope Arkansas universities see their enrollments go down as a result of this. It's a stupid policy, and their defense of it is beyond laughable.

Please remember: it is a foregone conclusion that the bad guys will have guns, no matter what the law says. The only question is whether or not the good guys will have them too.
"I made a suggestion, and she nodded to accept, so it wasn't rape-rape."
“A glance or a nod..."
A glance is to acknowledge that he's there. A nod is to tell him "it's ok". If he's ever caught, his defense will be "she wanted it, I didn't sneak up on her, she saw me, and nodded her concent".
I've done the "glance and nod" myself, but it works for me because I'm not a rape target anyway. For me it's to say, "You don't care how much money I'm carrying because you won't get any of it."

To a rapist your interpretation is probably correct.
"Sharon Houlette, a detective with the UALR Department of Public Safety..."

I dunno...seems like there's a lot wrong with that, all by itself.

Looking your rapist in the eye gives him another memory to cherish. "Hey, she nodded...sweet!".
If a university turns its campus into a free fire zone and also has insufficient capable police presence to protect students and staff it should be given a "U" classification for unsafe so parents and students would know not to attend that school.