VodkaPundit

Ignorance is No Excuse

May 17th, 2013 - 2:20 pm

THEY KNEW

And in this case, it’s not even a reasonable dodge. Apparently the answer to the question, “What did the President know and when did he know it?” was already answered — by Don Henley.

“Everything, all the time.”

Impeachment isn’t the answer. It’s a naked political act, and the naked political truth is that it wouldn’t go anywhere in Harry Reid’s Senate. Trying to impeach a moderate like Clinton turned into a disaster for the GOP. This would be worse.

So what’s the answer? Again, let’s go to Don Henley: Give us dirty laundry.

We need to hear it all, and we need to hear it in an orderly, sane, and thorough way.

When I said "transparency", what I meant was "you can't see me".
Here in May, only 4 months after the victorious 2nd inauguration, the Sun King is as lame as can be. His palace guard in the MSM will continue to protect him, but anyone thinking long term is already looking at the post-Obama world. Surely his name will be a punchline just like Clinton.
If my sense of things are right the Republicans in the house want to be able to apply gradual continuous pressure to keep Obama's corruption in the public eye and then get a spike in October to get the attention of the last minute low information voters who don't pay any mind to things until the last 6 to 4 weeks before an election. Then if they get control of the Senate really ramp up the pressure for the 2016 elections.
This is pretty much what I think will happen- but there's the chance that the media will actually do it's job now, and information is going to come fast and furious over the next few weeks and months. That will likely be the driving focus of the investigations- the GOP's Congressional investigations (either through hearings and/or through a series of special investigators) and actual honest to god journalism.

Plus, as I have said, we are now in a cascade of scandals; more will come. Existing ones will metastasize. The ball is entirely in the GOP's court- and let the evidence hang the Administration where it needs to be.
When I said "transparency", what I meant was "you can't see me".
I don't know "air it all out" turns into "Scandal fatigue." And if we can't use impeachment, what in Earth's name is the point of having it? Right now, no. BUT if we get the Senate -- damn skippy the bastard should be impeached. NOT to do so is to render the whole thing moot. He should be tried too.

Look, I thought Clinton's issues were more serious -- in a country like ours, lying about sex can lead to lying about other things. I mean, someone having an affair and lying about it would lose his clearance because foreign nations could use the lie as a lever, so how much worse for the president? Also, there were other things we could/should have used like tech to China. Of course I don't think Clinton was moderate. I think he was SMARTER than the current miscreant. (Lying about sex in France, OTOH just leads to the Gallic shrug.)
BUT this is far more serious than anything that could be proven against Clinton. (See, Clinton was SMARTER.) If we do nothing, it will just... become "What everyone does."
Besides, DAMN it, we owe it to the ghost of Nixon. If I read another book from that time talking about how evil Nixon's doings were I'm going to puke. Yes, he was a statist, but as for "high crimes and misdemeanors"? Compared to Obama he was a piker.
If we let what he did stand as awful, and what Obama did as subject for extended talk, but nothing done about it, we're acquiescing to the same old double standard.
I think we'd need to get 60 votes in the Senate. That means picking up 15 of the 22 D seats up this cycle. Anything less and, once again, the GOP House would impeach a Democrat President who would be acquitted by the Senate. I'm not sure that does good things for the GOP brand. Especially if the Democrats continue to trend and the next guy they manage to get elected is worse.

On the other hand, I think it might do some good to hold the trial. Force everything out in the open. Can the Senate avoid holding the trial if the House impeaches?

At the very least I think the House should pass some kind of statement saying the Executive Branch is outside the law and refuse to meet with or negotiate with anyone from the White House. Meet with Reid, meet with Pelosi, and continue to interrogate administration officials in committee hearings, but Obama no longer gets a seat at the table.
I think the Democrats are going to be thinking about the long-term viability of their brand, rather than just "protect the President at all costs." If the GOP gets control of the Senate (and retains the House), they probably will be able to get 5-15 Democrats to join in and take down Obama.

Also, the media is no longer in "ad hominen the GOP brand at all costs" thanks to the nature of the stories. The Clinton era impeachement circus is NOT the paradigm for these scandals.
I don't think so. You forget how endemic racism is in the Democratic party. Any Democrat who votes for impeachment of Obama is never going to get another black vote, which means they'll never win an election.

Right now the media isn't terribly concerned about trashing the GOP brand, but wait until it gets closer to the election and it begins to look like the enemy will take power. And I'm not totally convinced this isn't some kind of play to neuter all of these scandals by making them old news for the elections.
The media operated on the assumption that Obama was "The One" and let him skate through for a while. Do you honestly think that will happen, now? I must also reiterate: this is not the Clinton era scandals. This is not a case of Republican or Democratic "gotcha" stuff that you see inside the Beltway on a regular basis. They can't change that narrative back to "the Republicans are evil, just because." And to add to it, Obama’s essentially making the conservative argument FOR the GOP with his executive overreach(es). It’s even harder for the left and their media apparatchiks to hide from that, now.

Also, I think it's much more likely the Democratic Party itself will sell out Obama the moment he becomes too toxic for them. This isn't Bush/Iraq or Clinton/Monica. This is more than that. Obama is not campaigning for them, and they’ll cut their losses when they see that he represents an existential threat to their long-term viability.

I don't know where this will end. But I do know that Obama will never get his media honeymoon back. And I also know that the Dems will lose far more in the overall public than the black vote would ever gain them if they stand by Obama when he becomes that toxic.
I think you underestimate the ability of people to rationalize. So far none of the scandals have directly implicated Obama, and I doubt he ever gave an order to cover up Al Queda involvement in Benghazi or have the IRS target Tea Party groups, especially in writing. Absent that the Media will say it was a tragic case of a great man betrayed by his munificent and ultimately misplaced trust of underlings. If Dear Leader had known of these abuses he would have put a stop to them. People were fired or reassigned, what more do you want.

The GOP can get some traction out of the argument that big government cannot be trusted, and I think this pretty much guarantees we'll pick up the Senate (assuming something worse doesn't hit the GOP). But I think it's more likely that, if we are to see Democrat defectors, it will be on things like repealing Obamacare, legislatively voiding every federal regulation since 2008, and putting a balanced budget amendment before the states, rather than impeachment. In some ways I like that better. I think Obama staying in office, impotent, while his entire agenda is rolled back would be a far greater punishment than kicking him out for what he could rationalize as political enmity.
I agree, Sarah. The problem with these scandals are that they ARE NOT the typical scandals that hit the Beltway. They're stuff that hits at the very core of our political foundations. From Reagan to Dubya, there were alot of "gotcha" scandals, but we need to point out that this isn't the case.

I still think we're only seeing the start of a scandal cascade, and it's only going to get worse from here on out. Reporters are now legit looking for that Pulitzer.
What, no "Dirty Laundry" video?
No matter how enticing, impeachment is a crap shoot.
2014 Midterm, state and local elections...there's the main chance.
Let O become part of the Castrati (sp?).

Impeachment would lead to a President Biden, who would be untouched by the scandals and stand a good chance of reelection.
There's no way that Biden would survive this and Obama take the fall. Both go down, either together, or separate.

All hail President Bohener. :P
Biden would stand no chance on his own, even as the incumbent.
Impeachment may be in the cards, but not foreseeably. I'm with Stephen: just air it out. Even if Barack Milhous Omerta manages to leave office on schedule like Clinton did, remember that when Clinton left he was a punchline to a joke written on a bathroom wall.

The little god-king's future looks far bleaker, if this continues -- and I'm on record as hoping he lives to be 150 knowing his presidency was a miserable failure.
We alsop need a BUNCH of his people to do jail time. And in a big way. Haldeman, Erlichman style.
The problem with this is that if the evidence keeps climbing upwards towards the inner circle of the White House (which I think it will) impeachment will be in the cards. But that's a big "if" and I do agree with Stephen Green in regards to his administration being essentially locked out of the legislative and executive process from this moment onward. Lame duck X9000!
I almost agree about Harry Reid's Senate, but I'm going to stop short of saying that it would stop any impeachment proceedings.

First, just air the dirty laundry. That will be bad enough. Second, following up on the revelations of dirty tricks (which will likely be criminal in the first place), will be the high likelihood of election landslides for the GOP/Tea Party/Libertarians. There's no way the Democratic Party looks good coming out of these scandals (and I'm going to run with the assumption that there will be MORE scandals emerging soon). That means the Dems will start to look out for themselves, and not their Party leadership (or simply stage a revolt against said leadership).

And that's assuming that this winds down before GOP landslide elections in the Fall of 2014. If that happens (and I think it will) we'll be dealing with a Mitch McConnell Senate, and not a Harry Reid Senate.